Rockingham county va

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
No, got my wife in clean out mood, getting rid of stuff in the apartment and taking advantage of that. Hoping to get out over the holidays and see what I can find in the mornings or evenings. Tot Lots and parks (esp. after the 4th) look to be good hits.
Good Start! One option is to go to Rocky's or somewhere... buy a bag of old coins, then stash 'em at various places (called "salting")... CREATE "excitement! Heh...

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of "good" condition wheaties as back years ago before I started MDing, I was coin collecting and bought bags of wheat pennies with supposed keys dates inside along with some very good to excellent examples. I pulled everything of value out and have a bunch that I could "salt" but it would be for myself. My wife is disabled and is barely able to walk ten feet without losing breath. Back about 15 years ago, we tried MDing and had her lungs held out, she might join me but not now. AC and TV or Internet are her guilty pleasures now. Beach trips are mostly for me and time on the sand MDing and in the water as she may get out to the beach once or twice in a week. Got a friend who I hope will join me in the fall after his work slows down. He used to hunt and will be joining me once he gets his place of work down in floor space. His boss left and he got promoted, and then the first thing was space decrease. Was hoping to get some MDing and fishing in, maybe one day. Rocky's is still dangerous for me as I am an 1800's coin collector so I would rather find them but if i can buy at a decent price, I might. There goes my detector upgrade or vacation.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have a bunch of "good" condition wheaties as back years ago before I started MDing, I was coin collecting and bought bags of wheat pennies with supposed keys dates inside along with some very good to excellent examples. I pulled everything of value out and have a bunch that I could "salt" but it would be for myself. My wife is disabled and is barely able to walk ten feet without losing breath. Back about 15 years ago, we tried MDing and had her lungs held out, she might join me but not now. AC and TV or Internet are her guilty pleasures now. Beach trips are mostly for me and time on the sand MDing and in the water as she may get out to the beach once or twice in a week. Got a friend who I hope will join me in the fall after his work slows down. He used to hunt and will be joining me once he gets his place of work down in floor space. His boss left and he got promoted, and then the first thing was space decrease. Was hoping to get some MDing and fishing in, maybe one day. Rocky's is still dangerous for me as I am an 1800's coin collector so I would rather find them but if i can buy at a decent price, I might. There goes my detector upgrade or vacation.
Ah well... sorry to hear about your wife; going "solo" is tough, 'cause ya wanna share your excitement of a GREAT find. Good time to do R & I (Research & Investigation); I remember Weyer's Cave in Grottoes (now known a Grand Caverns), had a "legend" of hidden GOLD. LOTS of potential, as the Shenandoah Valley has LOTS of caves & grottoes; could be "buried Stash/Cache" here & there... ESPECIALLY during the "Civil" War, War Between the States, whatever, "caves" beside the rivers/creeks would of interest to me, if I was "up there". I did reenactments "up there" (early 70's; Comp. I, 10th Va. Cavalry - Stonewall Jackson's FOOT CAVALRY out of Conrad's Store (now known as Elkton, Va.); REBEL Mountain Man Scout with a bright red flannel shirt, brown leather pants, brown Indian long Leggings leather"boots", knife, brown leather Mountain Hat & company issued musket/black powder. We even had war games in the mountains above Elkton... muskets firing, black powder a-blowing; SNP ppl probably thought that ghosts of mountain ppl were shooting at each other again... heh! Yeeeeeeee Haaaawww! (Rebel Yell). It was FUN!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, she would if she could. I have been through Grand Caverns several times as a company I used to work for had their summer picnic on the grounds there and we would always head for the caverns when it got hot for the coolness inside. Big, ole' rooms with places to hide stuff but no way to get in and dig around and search them(probably long since been done)and the hill they rest in may hold hidden stashes but part is private prop and not sure of access to the rest, think is part of the cavern park. I know that there are plenty of hollers, etc. behind Elkton and Shenandoah that could hide treasures but getting in may be an issue as most are either private property or park property for Skyline drive. In the mountains to the west, I spent a lot of time hiking and camping in my teens and early 20s and if I had paid more attention, might have seen signs that I would notice now. Back then it was fun and outdoors, chasing women and drinking. Treasure came later. One of the guys that I hung out with is going to be hunting with me (he snuck off to the beach with his daughter and son-in-law for the holiday) and I know he is probably thinking the same and even if it is National Park, no metal detectors but you can pitch a tent and kind of scratch around for whatever might show. I saw the New Market reenactment and with the period outfits, tents, cannons, guns, horses, formations, black powder smoke, wow, what a show and it had to have been a fight. Right now, that flannel and leather sound very HOT and no AC!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YEP! New Market was a BIGGIE! The leather outfit & flannel shirt WERE too hot, & first wife made her CW type dress, also too hot! YEP! No AC; even the nights were HOT! Got out of it after @ 3 years...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It had it "funny times", too. Started out at Harper's Ferry; Rebs at the bottom of hill, Yanks at the top of the hill... viewers behind lined off areas on both sides of the hill. Volley after volley of muskets fire, black powder smoke & cannon fires at each other... NO ONE falls wounded or dead. ONLY when we ran out of black powder, did we fall down wounded or dead. HA! Then the yank line charged down the hill towards us; one big one Yank (like a football player) knocked me over. Pulled out my BIG ole Mountain knife (Bowie Knife) & stabbed him handle down... "HA! Got ya THAT time, didn't I ?" Yank answered... "Reckon, you did", and he stayed down... HA! Gettysburg, PA was a VERY haunted place... TOO many "incidents" to share.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, in my much younger years that looked like fun but now I look and think, would be fun and meet great people but too damn hot and uncomfortable. Don't wear anything not constricting or formal or heavy. Light polo shirt or t-shirt and jeans or cargo shorts and light walking shoes or moccasins. Thankful for casual dress work and no need to dress up anywhere else. Used to ride cycle and leather ,jeans and boots were a must when riding. I always roasted but had two on road wrecks that I walked away from with minor injuries and all my skin. Know that was what was available back during those times but it must have been a relief to find a river and jump in!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Headed up to the Bridgewater Lawn Party to pick up some pork BBQ sandwiches and other nice eats for dinner and decided to walk since it is so close. On the way through the parking area I found a 3' USB cord on top of the grass but no phone or Ipod. Think I'll wait for the lawn Party to finish its' run and hit the Tot lot and then sweep all of the parking for new surface drops, who knows what I'll find, clad for sure, maybe more.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rockingham County Fair days would be good to "hunt"... Aug. 14-17, 2017.

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like my hunting is postponed until mid-september as the company I work for getting ready to introduce a new product and right now I a scrambling to get the components in here for it on time (yes, that is what I do) and then all hands will be assembling them in two waves and it will be 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts so it will be work and sleep and some time with my wife so not much time for anything else until this is done. Bummer, but it should help generate more income, YEAH!!! After that, family visits and then I hear beach calling and sand detecting!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Nags Head, NC is WONDERFUL, if they get the electric power back "on-line"... go treasure hunting in the Outer Banks!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite place! Been going there since '73. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a year. Aunt and Uncle had a place there for about 12 years but finally sold it and my wife and I started going back and she gets to do some shopping (jewelry at the Pawnshops, etc) and I metal detect and eat seafood! Like it better after Labor Day when the prices drop, more families have gone home and most of the place are still open. If this year i could just hit after a good storm and there be some sand wash out and be able to get down to the good stuff.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, as far as the power, no hunting down there, National Seashore and Wildlife Habitat/Park. Stinks, but I'll hunt up north beaches and have plenty to check and hope that there were lots of drops and that it is not too sanded in.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, wife & I go in the "off-season", too... north of KDH & south of NH for US! Rather walk the LONGGG Beach, than "mix" with the crowded areas; I know of one HAUNTED "rental" cottage that I wanna try (for a week)... BUT! Wife is too scared... HA!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
My dad & older brother rented a cottage, down there years, ago; dad HATED the way they fish; he is use to fishing by the Shenandoah River; "Just as bad as playing Golf at Massenutten Village... hit the golf ball up the mountain... then it rolled back down again, BAH HAMBURG!" He only played there, once... and THAT was it!

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is what used to be the off season keeps getting shorter as more and more people have found it over the years. Went to Myrtle Beach in 2001 and would have been great for detecting (if it is allowed, haven't checked) but just too much humanity and shopping and a golf course on every block. If you golf, heaven for sure. I would like to see a storm before we get down there and a cut into the sand so I can get the Explorer XS and the MX Sport into there and see what i can find. Still trying to figure out how to justify a water detector for no more than we go. Liable to get hit with it!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
When I was younger, I LOVED Putt-Putt Golf... NOT anymore; they are EVERYWHERE near the beaches! AND! MD'ing IS "restricted"...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread