How long have you been metal detecting?

• Total voters

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Started in the early 60's when folks in my area had no clue what I was doing. Back then everything in my area was virgin and incredible. I quit for a few years in the late 70's and then rejoined the hobby. I guess when it is in your blood- you are forever hooked.

George

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It all started w/older gentleman dropping off W&E and that other mag. to our fire station when he was through w/them. Next thing I knew I was hooked. ;D

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

Started in 1972 . 1st Detector was a heathkit that I built then later on a WHITE 6000D.ARCOM

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I've been metel detecting since I was about 15 and I'm now 36. I've branched out into other realms of treasure hunting such as bottle digging, prospecting, rockhounding and artifacts. But metal detecting remains the favorite year after year. My Fisher CZ-5 has brought me many old and exciting finds. My oldest coin is an 1823 Capped Bust dime and I still own it as well as all my other finds.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Only about 4 years for me but have been interested in detecting since I was in grade school. I never knew anyone that did it nor could I afford a detector. I basically ended up forgetting about it with all the distractions of growing up until about 4 years ago I was talking to a guy I worked with and found out that he was a detectorist. Our conversation resparked my interest and within a month I bought my first (and still only) detector...a Garrett GTI2500. I haven't looked back since. HH.

reiferman

Sep 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Minelab Explorer II ~ 2 months ago. Productive everytime I've been out with it and I love it :)

The Reiferman

D

Diane L.

Yep! Tesoro's are good ones and the man in Aizona is a real gentleman..I'll give them my busness any day of the year!They once were part of Bounty Hunters..but went there own way and developed these good guys... I also like Fisher and Garrett!

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 30 years and still going strong! Thank you Lord for all the great finds!!!!!! Dont give up!The good stuff is still out there. Gotta look a little harder but its worth it. Have Fun!

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
A friend, who has since passed away, turned me onto this about 30 years ago.. I didn't have any equipment, so used his.. Over the years, work took precedent over fun and never had the chance to pursue it.. My wife bought me a BH 2200 for Christmas this year, and I can't wait until the ground thaws out and I can take it to one of the several beaches in the area.. Oh ya.. My very FIRST detector was a "Sargeant Preston of the North West Mounted Police, send a way and get your very own metal detector and be come a prospector machine".... And, if I still had it today, I could sell it on ebay and make a fortune.. Wonder if theres any of them still out there...It was like a little hand held probe that would beep if it came withing a inch or so of metal .. I think it was just a magnet on a pin, that completed the circut with a battery and buzzer when it wobbled close to ferrous metal.. It really would not find coins and gold like the T.V. adds told the kids that sent away for one, but back then, that was the common practice...

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started in 1973 with a $29.95 Jetco Mustang. First find was a 1946 Roosevelt. Been hooked ever since.

OP
OP
A

ashton9

I can remember only seeing one person in the very late 1970s detecting and none since then. I picked up a Whites Spectrum last summer and have been experimenting/learning all summer and fall with no fabulous finds so far. I have been doing research this winter and plan to try ?good? land when the frost is gone. The more I do research, the more I wonder if I should concentrate on the beaches here in Maine, but it maybe from reading too many Florida posts.

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've only had my detector since Christmas..and haven't gotten to play much since we still have snow! :'( Having fun the little bit I have been out though! I had a cheapo detector in Texas..I found a little jewelry and a few coins.. gave the detector to my grandkids when I moved six years ago. Can't wait till I can go out and really hit some good spots here!

J

Jim Cal

I started in 1973 with a Jetco detector from a discount store. It drifted like crazy but got me hooked on the hobby. I then went to visit a local detector store called National Treasure Hunters League which was owned and operated by a great guy named Ray Smith. Ray took my Jetco in trade for a real Garrett BFO detector and got me started off right. I've owned just about every Garrett detector made since that time along with many White's, and Tesoro's. All of them find treasure if you work hard and look in the right places. If someone had told me in 1973 future technology would allow size, depth, probable identity of finds I'd have thought they were crazy. I still love the hobby and since my kids are now grown I have much more time to devote to the hobby.

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started in 1982 at the age of 12, when I begged my parents to buy me a detector for Christmas. I promised they would never have to buy me another present ever again, and they held up that end of the bargain. Metal detectors, the one Christmas gift that keeps on giving. Been hooked ever since.

Anthony

TOWcritter

About a month. I was going to build a plane as a hobby ( already built a boat) but the wife reigned me in over the cost. So I settled on something a little less expensive but just as thrilling. I still plan on getting my pilots liscence. Already finished ground school. I just need to find that one special coin.....or cache.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread