King George V: Letter to Soldiers of The United States - April 1918 Read more: King

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a call from an old mining bud about this letter he found in a box of stuff that came down from his Grandma. He doesn't have a smart phone or any online abilities to research this letter. Over the phone he was telling me it was a handwritten personal letter from King George V to a soldier who served in WWI, like a distant uncle of his who was an officer during those times he thinks?... I was on my computer when on the phone with him and I pulled the same letter and read just what he read to me back to him. I did stop by and looked at this letter and took the pictures and told him I can see this is not original hand writing on the letter, but some kind of print process?. I can't find any info about the letters sales history. I do see one on eBay and their asking $250.00 usd for it, but It appears it isn't selling at that price, as that same letter has been listed a few times unsold. My old pard was a bit put out when I told him it's not a one-off letter and there's no telling how many are out there as it is a facsimile of an original letter. He was thinking it was worth a fortune and King George Vth sat down and wrote this very letter himself. Also I'd like to know what kind of process was used to produce the printing of all these letters back then? It looks like a real handwritten penned letter if you don't take a closer look at it. Methinks it could be worth maybe $150.00 to $200.00?. What do any of you think?

Attachments

• eds letter 1.jpg
    eds letter 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 415
  • eds letter 2.jpg
    eds letter 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 396
  • eds letter 3.jpg
    eds letter 3.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 841

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread