Relic Hunting

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ignore my post:) if they can get 55-70 with environmental damage, then that should be a better ballpark estimate

Dug 19th century indians in great condition generally do bring 20 to 30 bucks when in the 80's and 90's, anything prior to these dates can bring significantly more in the aforementioned condition.

Duke

Jun 11, 2009
Woodstock N.Y.
Detector(s) used
QXT
The way to clean coins you dig is let them sit and most dirt will fall off as it dries be patient for the date

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy offer me $140 for this one which I think is a ridiculously high offer but he needed it to fill a blank and it's beautiful for a dug IH. I'm even more crazy cause I didn't sell it lol
image.jpg
image.jpg

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lovely.....

1866 Indian Head cent

Composition is Bronze (95% Copper 5% Tin and Zinc)

9,826,500 minted
◊ G-4 condition = $52.00
◊ VF-20 condition = $115.00
◊ Proof-65 = $4,000

Look between the bottom feather on the Headdress and the and the Neck of the Indian - is that a "K" ?? or an "L" ??

I love $50 dollar pennies - I'd take them all day long!

Great Find!!

Last edited:

BerntOut

Jan 12, 2010
South West USA
Detector(s) used
Deus, BlissTool V3, CTX, Vallon VCM1, ......forgot the others!
If I dug it, I'd not clean it, only rinse it off, let air dry and put in in a tight fit plastic holder and keep it for my display!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy offer me $140 for this one which I think is a ridiculously high offer but he needed it to fill a blank and it's beautiful for a dug IH. I'm even more crazy cause I didn't sell it lol
View attachment 1091340
View attachment 1091341

Haha, :laughing7: I would have taken that offer since its 100% - 150% higher than what the coin is worth... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Keep @ It and HH !! :hello2:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, :laughing7: I would have taken that offer since its 100% - 150% higher than what the coin is worth... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Keep @ It and HH !! :hello2:
Ha yeah I'm aware. Nobody ever said I was smart. I just can't seem to let anything go. I have this romantic notion of looking at my collection in 20 years and having everything I've ever found lol

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Stunning 1866 Indian

That is a pretty sweet Indian, especially being a semi-key! in beautiful dug condition, Big congrats!
Here is a couple of pictures of my 1866 I dug at my favorite farm site. (Nov. 18-2014) I believe it is in nearly AU condition. Of course I'm a bit prejudiced over my "find" Anyhoo I took it to my local coin dealer only to have him give me the low down on this coin. Not AU condition because there is no "mint luster" left, environmentally damaged/corrosion being that it is a "dug" coin. He did say that it had Extra Fine 20-40 detail. He also said, if a collector offered me between 25 and 50 dollars that was on the high side and the most I could hope to get.

Like Abe said, I don't sell anything I have found. I love pulling out my finds and reminiscing on cold snowy winter days. A lot of my finds come with stories and that is priceless to me.

Attachments

• photo (17).JPG
    photo (17).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 115
  • photo (18).JPG
    photo (18).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 123

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a pretty sweet Indian, especially being a semi-key! in beautiful dug condition, Big congrats!
Here is a couple of pictures of my 1866 I dug at my favorite farm site. (Nov. 18-2014) I believe it is in nearly AU condition. Of course I'm a bit prejudiced over my "find" Anyhoo I took it to my local coin dealer only to have him give me the low down on this coin. Not AU condition because there is no "mint luster" left, environmentally damaged/corrosion being that it is a "dug" coin. He did say that it had Extra Fine 20-40 detail. He also said, if a collector offered me between 25 and 50 dollars that was on the high side and the most I could hope to get.

Like Abe said, I don't sell anything I have found. I love pulling out my finds and reminiscing on cold snowy winter days. A lot of my finds come with stories and that is priceless to me.

I have to tell you that I have a ton of respect for my coin dealer/friend. He works for Stacks on occasion and is well respected. He said this about dug coin "I don't care if it came out of a safe or out of the dirt! I don't care if you pulled it out of your a$$! If I like the overall look of the coin, if it appeals to my eye I will pay for it!" And he's not talking some low ball environmental damage crap. He will pay a good price no matter where it comes from.
And a little tip for everybody. If you dig an absolutely gorgeous coin like Metal Illness did, don't tell them it's dug. I've had a couple of coin guys tell me that my Tree coin would pass for a non dug coin. Nothing I can do about the hole but it's a 362 year old coin that is in beautiful condition. Likely lost in the late 1600s and maybe better off nestled into well drained soil than circulating for years and years. Or jostled around in a pocket clanging off a couple of cobs and a NE Shilling lol.
A beautiful coin is a beautiful coin regardless of where it comes from. And no I've never pulled a coin out of my a$$ :-)

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently Dug a 1866 Indian Head Penny and it is in alright condition. The pictures I took are not the greatest I can read almost all of liberty pretty good under a microscope. BUT is it worth anything because I soaked it in Olive Oil and it has green corrosion on the back and the front see pics below. Also is it worth getting graded or am I wasting my money thanks

Also since it has been soaked in olive oil does it hurt its value any? View attachment 1063918 View attachment 1063919 View attachment 1063920 View attachment 1063921 View attachment 1063922 View attachment 1063923

That's a beauty ! I would love to find any 1800's Indian Head ! 1907 is the earliest I have ever found. I say keep it and enjoy it.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I don't think any dealers care where the coin came from, it is about the condition of the coin. If it is corroded, it doesn't matter if it was from being buried or sitting in a damp safe, corroded is corroded. If a coin was buried and shows no ill effects, then it won't affect the value. Collectors are fussy about the condition of their coins, so dealers know what to look for.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I don't think any dealers care where the coin came from, it is about the condition of the coin. If it is corroded, it doesn't matter if it was from being buried or sitting in a damp safe, corroded is corroded. If a coin was buried and shows no ill effects, then it won't affect the value. Collectors are fussy about the condition of their coins, so dealers know what to look for.

I agree 100%. I just think sometimes they see an opportunity to put the "dug" tag on a coin and tell you it's worth a lot less even if it's in great condition. Not all but some dealers see a window of opportunity to pay a lot less

cjd1467

Greenie
Dec 29, 2009
Massachusetts
After reading through various value charts and comparing coins of similar condition on different auction websites, it appears the general worth appears to be between $30-$50 value for your coin in the condition it is in.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter whether a coin was dug or not dug, any verdigris needs to be arrested (stopped) to prevent any futher damage to coin. Once the verdigris has been arrested as best as possible, then a soak in Extra Virgin Olive Oil will stabilize the coin, hopefully from further damage from corrosion. Extra Virgin Olive Oil will not hurt a Copper coin but it may darken the coin somewhat. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is used by many Coin Dealers and myself to loosen dirt, grime, corrosion and other crud on Copper coins and to stabilize them. If a coin does not have dirt, grime, corrosion and other crud on them, then a light soak in it will stabilize the metal and hold off any future corrosion damage. If it does have these, the coin may need to be soaked in it for several weeks up to several months. When removing the loosened dirt, grime, corrosion and other crud, I always use a green Rose Thorn as it will not scratch or otherwise damage the surfaces of Copper coins. This was taught to me by a longtime Coin Dealer. I know that he has submitted many coins for certification and grading to quite a few of the Third Party Grading Services which he soaked in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, removed dirt...grime and other crud from them, patted dry, then 2x2'd before being submitted and he never had a problem. I do not know the specifics of each coin or who certified and graded each but do know, that the coins did not have verdigris on them. They were just dirty and some even yucky before the went into the Olive Oil but after the soak and dirt, grime and other crud was removed with a green Rose Thorn, they looked great. Just remember, to never submit a coin that has verdigris on it for certification or grading unless you use a Conservation Service that they provide before the coin is certified and graded but even then, the outcome may not be to your liking. As a general rule, it is generally best to sell most coins in the raw that has verdigris on it instead of having it certified and graded as the grade and notations on the label of the slab can be detrimental to the sell of the coin and the price it fecthes. The exception to this rule, would be extremely rare coins where you want to show that the coin is genuine.

Frank

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer mineral oil as it doesn't darken the coin as much as olive oil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions