3 gold coins value

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Can someone please identify these for me ?

two are from ancient Greece and one is from medieval Europe..
photo5_zps93a07bbb.jpg

photo4_zpsabe64396.jpg

photo31_zpsa6aad60c.jpg

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Greek coins are Alexander The Great Gold Staters, that's if they are real, The hammered Gold Coin is not familiar to me, possibly a coin from the Nuremberg area of Baveria, again if real.

SS

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hard to tell if they are genuine. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: If you don't get an answer here.... Take them to a coin shop see if they can verify. :thumbsup: If they say they are fake get a second opinion. If they offer you something but say they are fake. Get a 2nd opinion... :occasion14:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with MUD. I think you need to go to a ancient/medieval dealer. The average coin dealer could tell you very little about these, although they could probably determine if they are actually gold or not. Not a knock on them, most don't handle these and have no reason to learn about them.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top and bottom pictures look like Replica's, the middle picture they look genuine.... :icon_scratch: :dontknow: So idk ???

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
The top and bottom pictures look like Replica's, the middle picture they look genuine.... :icon_scratch: :dontknow: So idk ???

thnaks!

I'll make better pictures in macro tomorrow, the Greek coins could be replica's but they passed a test for 22k, and were found with a detector, so if they are replica's then they are not new but quite old.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why do they look like replicas?, because the colour looks right to me, if they are replicas they look to be Gold one's

SS

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know they made 22k gold coins in greek times,you say you found these with a md ,so that answers that ?,also how did you test these, with acid,or did you use a mass spec gun
I think knowing your other metals inside including trace elements would give you a better idea if these are replicas or not...the hammered later coin looks nice
Most ancient gold coins were made of a mix of different metals, usually copper.

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thnaks!

I'll make better pictures in macro tomorrow, the Greek coins could be replica's but they passed a test for 22k, and were found with a detector, so if they are replica's then they are not new but quite old.
Did you purchase the coins :dontknow:

Knowing the weight would help to determin if they are real. The only thing I see that does not look right is the seated figure of Athena, it looks to small compared to other Gold Staters of Alexander, that might be down to the angle of the pictures posted.:dontknow:

SS

Last edited:

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you purchase the coins :dontknow:

Knowing the weight would help to determin if they are real. The only thing I see that does not look right is the seated figure of Athena, it looks to small compared to other Gold Staters of Alexander, that might be down to the angle of the pictures posted.:dontknow:

SS
his thread stated he found md'ing, athena is only the first thing I see wrong with them,Also I am waiting for my "peers" to show up with there info,according to some here it could take months or years for these experts to show up

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
his thread stated he found md'ing, athena is only the first thing I see wrong with them,Also I am waiting for my "peers" to show up with there info,according to some here it could take months or years for these experts to show up
His thread stated they were found with a detector, he didn't say it was his.

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
having a few staters myself im well aware what the gold content is on non replicas....on to your next comment
on to your next comment....What the hell is this supposed to mean, there are plenty of replicas out there with the same gold content as the real thing.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most replica's are not made out of the right gold content... ??? It kinda defeats the purpose of making a replica... :icon_scratch: The color does not look right, looks to dark... The shine also seems to be to bright for not being plated replica's.. Now I know high Karat gold is darker but it also has less shine than lower karat treated items. Also the surfaces look polished.. I'm well aware they could be real. Just saying they don't look like it in the pictures provided accept for the middle picture the colors and shine looks right... :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I think the first coin may be this - or close to it-

CoinArchives.com Lot Viewer

Florín. DAVID DE BORGOÑA (1456-1496) Obispo. UTRECHT. Anv.: SANCTVS MARTIN ...PIS. San Martín sentado en trono. Rev.: ¶MON.NOVA.AVREA.TRAIECTEN. Armas de Borgoña. 2,95 grs. AU. (Cospel algo faltado y grieta). Fr-190. BC+/MBC-.

Starting Price: 190 EUR

Attachments

• utrecht.jpg
    utrecht.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 101

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most replica's are not made out of the right gold content... ??? It kinda defeats the purpose of making a replica... :icon_scratch: The color does not look right, looks to dark... The shine also seems to be to bright for not being plated replica's.. Now I know high Karat gold is darker but it also has less shine than lower karat treated items. Also the surfaces look polished.. I'm well aware they could be real. Just saying they don't look like it in the pictures provided accept for the middle picture the colors and shine looks right... :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:
Perhaps I should have said Fake rather than Replica, if it's a intention to deceive the better the gold content the more easier it would pass for the real thing, I have seen this with Celtic Staters from the UK, and I know it goes on with other ancient coins. To me the coins posted look like the right colour, buttery Gold colour as I like to refer it to. It would be interesting for the OP to post the diameter, and weight.:coffee2:

SS

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps I should have said Fake rather than Replica, if it's a intention to deceive the better the gold content the more easier it would pass for the real thing, I have seen this with Celtic Staters from the UK, and I know it goes on with other ancient coins. To me the coins posted look like the right colour, buttery Gold colour as I like to refer it to. It would be interesting for the OP to post the diameter, and weight.:coffee2:

SS

:icon_scratch: I think we both know, several tests need to be made to determine if they are real or not. If the gold content, weight, size, and the details/design of the coin are all accurate. Then its safe to say they are real. I just don't know what the details/design should be. I just know a little about what high karat gold looks like and some idea what replica's look like. They just seem to polished and dark. :dontknow: However I have a strong feeling they are real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread