Chunk of fossilized dinosaur bone. Any value?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this out in the deserts of southern Utah as I look for cool rocks when I'm in the area. It's a 213 gram piece measuring 3-1/4" x 2" x 1-3/8". Looking at the prices on line of polished lapidary pieces, some small pieces are priced in the $30. to $60. range and more when their set in jewelry of precious metals like gold and silver. I see some finished pieces that have an array of colors and I wonder if that's natural or enhanced in some way. This piece is dark and white. No clue what the inside would look like if sliced open. Just wondering if there's any value of this type of mineral specimen.?? It is the first and only piece I've ever found.

Attachments

• dino rock 1.jpg
    dino rock 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
  • dino rock 2.jpg
    dino rock 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
  • dino rock 3.jpg
    dino rock 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 179

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock,
Nice find, it may have some lapidary value. It is a nice size and could be cabbed into a belt buckle or carved into something. I work with dino bone often and it is one of my favorite materials to work with. You may want to visit a local rock club and bring it along at their monthly meeting to see if there is an interest. At our club(in Ohio) we help you make a cab on the first visit, maybe you can make something yourself out of the stone.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock,
Nice find, it may have some lapidary value. It is a nice size and could be cabbed into a belt buckle or carved into something. I work with dino bone often and it is one of my favorite materials to work with. You may want to visit a local rock club and bring it along at their monthly meeting to see if there is an interest. At our club(in Ohio) we help you make a cab on the first visit, maybe you can make something yourself out of the stone.
Thanks Bammer. Lapidary art is something I've always wanted to do and maybe I'll look in to it more someday. I've never found anything like this before. The rocks you see laying around Hanksville and Ticaboo, Utah wash out of the different sedimentary formations are of so many varieties. Next time I'm in the area I'll try and get up early, so I have a little more time to look around. This time it was too darn hot to be out looking for artifacts and mineral finds.

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool find but as far as it being a Dinosour bone?... Slim and none for a few reasons. Again awesome find though!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool find but as far as it being a Dinosour bone?... Slim and none for a few reasons. Again awesome find though!

I couldn't tell you what it is. I'm still learning! Just for my curiosity and to learn, What are the reasons it's not?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's IS an awfully NICE chunk of dinosaur bone! Bring it up the next time you come up this way and I'll slab it for you. If you want to.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, that specimen has some spectacular cell definition. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's IS an awfully NICE chunk of dinosaur bone! Bring it up the next time you come up this way and I'll slab it for you. If you want to.
Sure OD, we can split it. After August I should start making trips up that way. Didn't know you had a saw, or access to one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread