Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Aug 2005
    E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
    28 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

U.S. Army Spoon?? Can anyone date it?

Just found this old spoon the other day. First pic shows the full spoon. Second picture shows the handle with "U.S." imprinted on it. Third picture shows maker mark on the back - "WALLACE N.S."

Is this a WWII army spoon, or could it be older than that?

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    22 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: U.S. Army Spoon?? Can anyone date it?

Wallace, Nova Scotia?

Wallace, Naval Station?

ca
    Sep 2008
    Grande Prairie, AB
    MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
    100 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I'll admit to not being too knowledgable about flatware. Wallace is/was one of the biggest American silverware makers since the mid 1800's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Silversmiths_Inc.

Wallace N.S. happens to be a town in Nova Scotia, but I think we can ignore that reference. The only other reference to N.S. I could find in conjuction with Wallace was the term Nickel Silver (sometimes called German silver, etc.) which actually contains no silver at all.

I further looked into mess kit utensils, but the common U.S. Military utensil had a teardrop hole in the handles, I presume for tying together or hanging up and this design has been used since WWI from what I could find, as shown in the example below.

Possibly regular military mess hall or canteen utensils, then?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

May 2005
    19 times

time4me,

cannot find it now; came across a spoon U.S on it

They are?/were? used in hospitals, veteran homes, mess halls, govt
    type of operations. Not sure if they are still in use .

Think WW Two and on.

have a good un.....
    SHERMANVILLE
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

Oct 2006
    Madison, Wisconsin
    4 times

Only Wallace N.S. is a silversmith of WALLACE & BALCOM from Halifax,
    Not much more on them. The US on the front of the spoon intrigues me I think maybe they contracted to supply some of the utensils?
    I found a few on the web that dated to WWI similar US markings on front but also had the US markings as hallmarks..
    Interesting find..
    J2
    J.J.

us
    presidential campaign items, 1860 JOHN BELL-EDWARD EVERETT tin type pic token, 1888 Benjamin Harrison pin. 1876 CENTENNIAL REVOLUTIONARY WAR MEDAL WITH BARON VON STEUBEN AND GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON. CW RELICS 1864 Union store card,3 I,1 R, eagle buttons

Dec 2008
    ILL
    Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
    45 times

nice finds looks older then my grandads U.S.N. SPOON from ww2 that is stainless. urs looks plated... nice all the same
    oldest dug 1831 William IIII. 1844 1/6 Skilling. 1834,51,72,76,84-86,89,1900o-94s,97-11,13 Dimes. 1854,56,76s,94,99,1902,06,09d,11,15s Qtrs. 1864,65 2cent. 79,83cc Morgan. 1867,68,69,75,82,87,88,90,91,93,95,97,98,1900,02,0 4-09,11,12d Nickles. 1848,56,59,61,64-67-69,73-75,81-85,87-09 Cent.

us
    Feb 2006
    Erie,PA.
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS
    time4me,

cannot find it now; came across a spoon U.S on it

They are?/were? used in hospitals, veteran homes, mess halls, govt
    type of operations. Not sure if they are still in use .

Think WW Two and on.

have a good un.....
    SHERMANVILLE
    Having been in the U.S.N. I would have to agree w/SHERMAVILLE,When in boot camp(1975)the utensils were the same shape/design(had been for yrs.)some read U.S.(as the one posted)and others read U.S.N.,soooo like i said"i would have to agree w/SHERMANVILLE",Oh and i was also in a NAVAL HOSPT.That had utensils w/JUST U.S. on them,HH Everybody!!!
    I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death so you can say it!/Voltaire

us
    Dec 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    Tosoro Bandido
    274 times
    Metal Detecting

For several years I hunted a site that had been used by the Ft Oglethorpe troops around the 1885 to 1900s. I found one trash pit with dozens of those utensils in it and they all had US on them. I doubt the military has changed those much in the last 125 years.

us
    Sep 2006
    Pensacola, Fl
    Minelab Explorer XS
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by detector de metales
    Only Wallace N.S. is a silversmith of WALLACE & BALCOM from Halifax,
    Not much more on them. The US on the front of the spoon intrigues me I think maybe they contracted to supply some of the utensils?
    I found a few on the web that dated to WWI similar US markings on front but also had the US markings as hallmarks..
    Interesting find..
    J2
    I agree that it was probably contracted. I've found US Navy issue plate shards from the 1870's that had a British company monogram on the rear.

Pcola

us
    Dec 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
    305 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I just found one this past weekend at a Civil War battlefield in NC. The thing that has me confused is that it was on the Confederate side of the river. I have the same question. When was it made?
    Respect the research and permissions of others...Seriously...

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    688 times

I have one the exact same shape and size (luckily I have a Swiss Army knife to compare it to) marked U.S.N. on the front with the letters OS in a diamond and the word Stainless. At least I think its OS way too tiny to be sure. Mine is definitely WW2 and was from a mess hall set. I'd post a pic, but my camera batteries are dead.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Dec 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    305 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Here is one on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALLACE-N-S-...-/160610266725

I emailed the company that sells Wallace silverware to see if they can date our spoons.

Jun 2006
    Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
    Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
    18 times

Found a smaller version in Louisiana on a Civil war site...and just like Papa Bear above mentioned...mine also was found on the Confederate side. Will look for a pic. Nice finds!

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    781 times

From an old auction:

FOR BID ARE 16 US MILITARY NICKEL SILVER SPOONS. THESE WERE BOUGHT AT A YARD SALE AROUND WEST POINT AREA. MOST LIKEY THEY ARE FROM T 3 ARE MARKED "WALLACE NS"

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

us
    Dec 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    305 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    [QUOTE=Papa Bear;2628628]I just found one this past weekend at a Civil War battlefield in NC. The thing that has me confused is that it was on the Confederate side of the river. I have the same question. When was it made?[/QUOTE

I have an explanation as to why my spoon was on the Confederate side. Apparent when the current landowner bought the property about 50 years ago (1960's), he was doing updates to the house that had stood there during the Civil War when an old lady in her later years (80's?) had pulled up. She had apparently grown up in the house and she relayed a story from her parents who as children had witnessed the Yankee Soldiers in the latter half of the war come by the property and steal everything except for a lame mule. That might explain the spoon with US on it that I found.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors