Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2009
    in your back yard
    excal 2 Fisher F75 SE
    285 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hallmark Help ?

I went detecting near the muddy mile today and "eyeballed" this ring on the edge of a freshly tilled field.
    I almost didn't believe it but it was in my hand. Any help on the marks appreciated.
    Correct me if I'm wrong I see 0B three crowns and a T
    Thanks, Broken Knee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workring 019.JPG 
Views:	713 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	451234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workring 022.JPG 
Views:	758 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	451235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workring 025.JPG 
Views:	639 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	451236  

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    672 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Hallmark Help ?

This is close- from 1922. Your mark might be a more modern example? Nice find!

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1725 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)

You may wish to communicate with this person who is wearing a similar ring:
    http://www.antique-jewelry-investor....ee-crowns.html

I agree with bramblefind:
    Ostby and Barton. BTW, Ostby went down on the Titanic; his company became the largest manufacturer of rings in the US. Here's some history:
    http://www.vintage-rings.org/vintage...signers-4.html

us
    Dec 2009
    in your back yard
    excal 2 Fisher F75 SE
    285 times

Thanks, Bramblefind and Mackaydon for the info. That was a very interesting story about Ostby.
    I'm wondering if the letter is a date mark? the link Mackaydon gave shows a C in the mark not a T.
    Any way thanks once again, Broken Knee

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    Minelab Explorer
    1725 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)

You may wish to call this company in Phoenix; they have an 'OB' ring for sale and may have additional information on the marks:
    Goodwill of Central Arizona, 15633 S 32nd St., Phoenix, has a very special vintage ring made by Ostby and Barton for sale. Ostby and Barton were designers of genuine, high quality pieces. The founder of Ostby and Barton was actually traveling with a bag of gems for his jewelry designs aboard the Titanic in 1912. He perished on... that trip, but his daughter survived. Much of the jewelry is yet to be discovered. It is made of 14k Gold and is adorned with what appears to be red ruby stones. Internet research indicates that the ring's "OB14K" stamp is the mark of the Ostby & Barton Co. Please call the Store Manager for pricing and more information at (480) 704-0645.
    Don....

The triple crown mark has been used as the Swedish Government mark since 1783 - after 1912 the triple crown was enclosed in a clover leaf shape(or Cats Paw) for Swedish made items and in an oval shape for an Import item. If the crowns are not enclosed the item was produced before 1912. Swedish silver is typically .830 pure, or a lower purity of silver than Sterling which is .925 pure.

I think the letter T is for the year 1861 :P

SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

us
    Apr 2010
    Breckentucky MI
    Garrett Ace 250
    28 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher

The triple crown mark has been used as the Swedish Government mark since 1783 - after 1912 the triple crown was enclosed in a clover leaf shape(or Cats Paw) for Swedish made items and in an oval shape for an Import item. If the crowns are not enclosed the item was produced before 1912. Swedish silver is typically .830 pure, or a lower purity of silver than Sterling which is .925 pure.

SS
    All the Swedish hallmarks I've seen are 2 crowns over 1. Also, the Swedish date code for 1861 is "G5".

Quote Originally Posted by daroofa

SS
    All the Swedish hallmarks I've seen are 2 crowns over 1. Also, the Swedish date code for 1861 is "G5".
    Like I said above, the shape of the Crowns changed after 1912, perhaps the ring posted is before that time

SS

us
    Apr 2010
    Breckentucky MI
    Garrett Ace 250
    28 times

Quote Originally Posted by daroofa

SS
    Like I said above, the shape of the Crowns changed after 1912, perhaps the ring posted is before that time

SS
    Sweden did use a "T" as a date mark in 1777, but that would pre-date the use of the crowns so... I think the Ostby & Barton ID is correct, but can't find any reference to their date mark system.

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    Minelab Explorer
    1725 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Several of the eBay sellers of OB rings state the company was established in 1879 and faded out in about 1950.

us
    Dec 2009
    in your back yard
    excal 2 Fisher F75 SE
    285 times

SS the ring is gold

Quote Originally Posted by Broken knee

SS the ring is gold
    Ahhh Right looking closer at your picture I can see now, I will have another go at it now

SS

Sponsors