Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lindenmeier sEEker

Apr 2006
    El Paso, TX
    Flippin Stick n good luck :)
    44 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Re: anyone come across one out there, plate, gear???

did they put a nail through it
    http://www.miniclip.com/games/motherload/en/

Dec 2004
    8 times

looks too small for a wall retainer...most i have seen are at least 4-5 inches across, usually more as they had to have enough surface area to hold a large washer or steel plate to retain the wall....item in pic looks like maybe 2 inches ?,......early axle bearing end caps had no seal...axle through the center to hold it on and keep dirt from getting in grease...small hole to the side for inserting grease/oil.......but its just a guess going on ones i have seen on older small wagons/carts/trailers.............gldhntr

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by dg39
    None I have ever seen have a mounting hole, and most are screw threaded.....
    Nor did the S I spoke of ...could be for smaller structures How about a rail mount bracket that sits atop concrete and the other hole is for the pin to hold it in place?
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle
    Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    I agree with Stefen and Trk5capt: looks like a plate/washer from an architectural reinforcement rod. You can also see them in fancy rosette, star, and diamond shapes on late 19th and early 20th century masonry buildings.
    Did these things sometime have an S shape? Used in stone homes alot in the 1800's at the ends of these steel supports?
    star structure TIE INS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stars.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	88161  
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    953 times

Mostly. these mallable iron (cast) are used to support or cross-brace beams and walls using threaded steel rods.

In earthquake areas these are used for seismic reinforcement of older earthquake-prone buildings, mainly those that are brick or block construction.

As stated by others, these come in various shapes and sizes...some more ornamental shaped, yet functional. Still manufactured today.

There were, at one time, thousands of foundaries, so it may be a problem being specific to who was the actual manufacturer or date of casting.
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

us
    DG

Mar 2006
    Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
    Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
    2 times

If you live in the New Orleans area you will see them in all shapes and sizes from stars to squares to even the design you see above at the beginning of the thread. Go through any pre to early 1900's area of construction and they are all around in buildings, mostly made of brick...Very common tool used in reinforcement, even today.
    Please look at my museum website.....      louisianahistorymuseum.org
    My playtoy site:  genius-antiques.com

Lindenmeier sEEker

Apr 2006
    El Paso, TX
    44 times
    Banner Finds (2)

wow, the thing is i dont think there ever was a documented earthquake in this area

us
    DG

Mar 2006
    Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
    Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by chong2mry
    wow, the thing is i don't think there ever was a documented earthquake in this area
    Not necessarily earth quake related, just general preservation bracing... They are all over in old buildings, you have just never noticed them.
    Please look at my museum website.....      louisianahistorymuseum.org
    My playtoy site:  genius-antiques.com

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    953 times

Used for many structures regardless if its an earthquake, hurricane or tornado...even such damage by a out-of-control vehicle.

The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

Dec 2005
    Pinehurst. Idaho
    Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
    1 times

I just ran across something yesterday that looks alot like what you pictured, Chong. This rod is about 6 feet long, threaded on both ends and has two of these slipped on, flat side facing each other. The set-up was like Angelo discribed on the bridge construction. The one I pictured was on an early 1900's small dam that was constructed of 4X4 timbers bored to accept the rod. This is on a remote placer mining claim and the beams were rotted enough I could remove it with out taking off the nuts. The small hole could well be for a nail to hold it in place til' it was cinched down. The set-up then would hold 4X4's in place tight enough to hold back water.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mar 2006
    Idaho
    1 times

Nice Job SILVERSWEDE!!

You saved me a 3 hour drive to photograph a Forestry Bridge.

The hole is to drive a spike or large nail to keep the nut from rotating due to bridge vibration.

With the price of gas......I owe you!

Tony

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by silverswede
    I just ran across something yesterday that looks alot like what you pictured, Chong. This rod is about 6 feet long, threaded on both ends and has two of these slipped on, flat side facing each other. The set-up was like Angelo discribed on the bridge construction. The one I pictured was on an early 1900's small dam that was constructed of 4X4 timbers bored to accept the rod. This is on a remote placer mining claim and the beams were rotted enough I could remove it with out taking off the nuts. The small hole could well be for a nail to hold it in place til' it was cinched down. The set-up then would hold 4X4's in place tight enough to hold back water.

Excellant ...You beat me to it! nice pic....no questions now!

us
    Jun 2005
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by diving doc

Much different construction than our object, not entirely convinced you've got it.

Doc
    I don't see any functional difference. While the one in question is more decorative, they seem to be functionally identical.

Lindenmeier sEEker

Apr 2006
    El Paso, TX
    44 times
    Banner Finds (2)

silverswede....i am now pretty convinced that our object does in a way serve a purpose similar to the picks from the ones used for the dam. i have seen similar to yours from mine shaft beams , however i think i have to agree with doc, there just seems something different that i just cant explain. obviously the ornimental design but there is just something. also wouldnt you think that the one at the beginning of the thread is much much thinner would it be strong enough for much support? i might be heading back to where i found the first one, like i said there were two. hopefully i will come across it. my apologies for not responding earlier i have had a tooth ache that actually brought tears to my eyes and i finally got some of those gooder pain killers
    chong

Dec 2005
    Pinehurst. Idaho
    Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
    1 times

Chong;
    Had a little time this afternoon to work on that piece. Taking into account the 3/4" hole and the "nail hole", the size and all they would seem to have similiar functions. The design is a little different, though and I'm thinking it would have to do with the Patent. As you can see on the one pictured there are some faint raised lettering, I took a wire brush to it and was able to make out the following print. In the four pie shaped sections the following...(1) MALLEABLE (2) 24 PAT (3) MAY 10 O4 (4) 3/4.
    This may give someone a way to research further. One of the two on the rod was much better preserved (the one I pictured) and the other shows more eaten away by rust as well as the one on your thread. There would'nt be too much difference in size. I think we both have very rare and extremely valuable pieces of iron here don't you (snikkering)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors