Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Sep 2007
    Reno, NV
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett GTAX 550
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question unknown interesting medal

Don't have any clue on this medal. I picked it up at an antique shop for a dollar, even the guy selling it had no clue where it came from or what it is. Hoping someone on here could help me identify it. The item looks like stamped tin or sterling with gold plating over it. it weighs 9.5 grams and reads on the front "AQUISGRANUM" assuming this is Latin. On one side of the medal it has the letter "A" and on the opposite side is the letter "U" there is an owls face at the top and a nude child like figure holding two fish in the middle standing on a platform with the number 53 and below that the number 25. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052212092021.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	638443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052212091104.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	872.6 KB 
ID:	638442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052212091034.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	660.7 KB 
ID:	638441  
    Give Northern Nevada Coin a call for any questions regarding US coins and ask for "Joe" at (775)-828-2646 or check out our website at http://www.brokencc.com

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1725 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    You're right, the word is Latin for Aachen, the spa city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
    Don.......

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    842 times
    A quick search shows that Aquis Granum is the old Latin name for the German city of Aachen - known for it's sulphur hot springs discovered by the Romans in 53 AD.

Here is a burb about it from a book written in 1743:

It is a small fortified town, neatly built with ~"~v brick, the citadel large and strong, wherein is the palace of the ancient Dukes. 2. Aken, or Aken, or Aquis Granum, usually called Aix la Chapelle, a Aixla.. large Imperial city, fifteen miles south-west 0fChaFlleJuliers, and twenty south-east of Maestricht, supposed to have taken its ancient name from SeRenius Gran u s, Lieutenant-General of GalHa Belgica, in the reign of the. Emperor Adrian, who having discovered the hot springs here about the year 53, first built and beautified them after the manner of the Roman baths, and then erected himself a palace in the place; in confirmation whereof, the natives still Ihew a piece of ancient architecture, which they call Turris Grani, and relate that it is a part of the ruins of that General's palace.
    Still searching.

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    Minelab Explorer
    1725 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Here's the pic of the statue the medal represents--and the story:

The "Fat Baby With Fish" is situated in the Fischmarkt where for centuries fish from local rivers and ponds were sold. The statue stands opposite the Taufkapelle (Baptistery) where, up until Napoleonic times all Aachen children were baptised. "Et Fisch -Pueddelche" is the name of this fountain designed by Lederer at the beginning of the 20th C. "Pueddelche" is a nickname for a small child in Aachen. At the time Lederer designed this fountain it would have been unthinkable for the prudish, puritanical towns people to have a statue of a naked man in their streets! So, instead, he erected a statue of a naked baby holding two fish to represent the fish market and no one was offended. It seems that in the past this statue often disappeared and has at times even been guarded by policemen!!
    Photo from The Old City of Aachen album | Orly Yahalom

us
    Sep 2007
    Reno, NV
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    You're right, the word is Latin for Aachen, the spa city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
    Don.......
    Thanks for the info. So the piece is German. Does anyone have any idea what the medal could be for is it of religious significance? Do the numbers represent a year date or other?
    Give Northern Nevada Coin a call for any questions regarding US coins and ask for "Joe" at (775)-828-2646 or check out our website at http://www.brokencc.com

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    Minelab Explorer
    1725 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I can tell you the fountain (statue) was designed in 1911 by Hugo Lederer so the date of your medal obviously post dates that date.

Religious in nature? I doubt it since the statue was more like an ad for the nearby fish market.

Don.........
    Last edited by Mackaydon; May 22, 2012 at 05:24 PM.

us
    Sep 2007
    Reno, NV
    18 times
    Has anyone seen this medal before and what if anything is it worth?

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    842 times
    My guess is that it commemorates 25 years of something. But I have no idea what. The letters A U may hold the clue, but, of course, they are probably initials for German or Latin words. I can't help you there...

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Nov 2004
    2 times
    I would guess it might be a Volksmarch medal from Aachen or nearby city. You may be able to contact the German-American Volksmarching club in Aachen to see if they can identify it. Here is a link to the facebook page for the club, it has some contact information.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...61209607244349

Also if you google "German American volksmarch clubs" you will get links to a lot of other Volksmarch or "Wandering" clubs in Germany. I lived there for a total of 9 years and have boxes of mugs, plates, medals and other items from Volksmarching.

Scout

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    842 times
    A U could indicate Aachen University. Perhaps a medal for 25 years of service?

DCMatt
    by the author.

Apr 2012
    Desert
    Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
    242 times
    My sister lived in Aachen for nearly 10 years, and still lives nearby. I was just there for the Weinachten Markt (Christmas market) last year. Beautiful city!

I'll see if she can track down anything about it.
    -- Ammo

"A man who has lived in many places is not likely to be deceived by the local errors of his native village; the scholar has lived in many times and is therefore in some degree immune from the great cataract of nonsense that pours from the press and the microphone of his own age."

~ C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

“Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
    Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?”

~ T.S. Eliot, The Rock

us
    Sep 2007
    Reno, NV
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammonhotep View Post
    My sister lived in Aachen for nearly 10 years, and still lives nearby. I was just there for the Weinachten Markt (Christmas market) last year. Beautiful city!

I'll see if she can track down anything about it.
    That would be great I really appreciate it!

Apr 2012
    Desert
    242 times
    Well, here's the best I've got. My sister says the following: "... one possibility would be to try asking at the Aachener Karneval club Fidele Aquisgrana if anyone there knows. Hallo, so sind wir Go to the link for Kontakt, and you'll find some e-mail addresses."

Most Germans speak English well, so language shouldn't be a problem. Best of luck!
    -- Ammo

"A man who has lived in many places is not likely to be deceived by the local errors of his native village; the scholar has lived in many times and is therefore in some degree immune from the great cataract of nonsense that pours from the press and the microphone of his own age."

~ T.S. Eliot, The Rock

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    Minelab Explorer
    1725 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Any letters or images on the reverse?
    What does the complete ribbon and clasp look like?
    Don.......

Apr 2012
    Desert
    242 times
    Another message: "Maybe you've noticed that that's an owl (Eule in German) at the top of the medal. You might also ask someone at the Karnevalsgesellschaft Eulenspiegel:" http://www.eulenspiegel-aachen.de/in...id=0&Itemid=18
    -- Ammo

~ T.S. Eliot, The Rock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors