Im stumped!!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Red James Cash
  • 1 Post By bikermike
  • 1 Post By taz42o

Thread: Im stumped!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2010
    631 times

I'm stumped!!!

This one has me stumped.

I bought a black and white photo out of an estate sale. I call these type of pictures "yard longs", for lack of a better term, even though this one is only 19 1/2 inches long.

The photo is of a US Navy company, with an estimated 130 men in it, standing on risers. This is a typical company photo.

The bottom of it reads:

"CO.565 L.J. POND C.SP.CO.COM JUNE 11, 1943
    US NAVAL TRAINING STATION, GREAT LAKES, ILL."

I'd like to know what company this was, and where they served if possible. I can't find a thing on them.

Can anyone shed some light on this old photograph

Thanks so much!!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7961 times
    The Truth
    I came across this,dont know if it will be any help.I'm pretty sure that its a graduation photo

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...kDBZBG9g3ZEyag
    clovis97 likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Redondo Beach
    Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    Here is a place that might help. Good luck. Naval History and Heritage Command
    clovis97 likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    Ohio
    1455 times
    Those photos are called panoramic . They might be shore patrol im not sure.
    Here is you photo....
    You may have to copy or drag link to your search bar.

shopgoodwill.com - #11680884 - US Navel Training Station B&W Panoramic Photo - 10/28/2012 5:00:00 PM
    clovis97 likes this.

us
    Dec 2010
    631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taz42o View Post
    Those photos are called panoramic . They might be shore patrol im not sure.
    Here is you photo....
    You may have to copy or drag link to your search bar.

shopgoodwill.com - #11680884 - US Navel Training Station B&W Panoramic Photo - 10/28/2012 5:00:00 PM
    That is an identical photo!!!!!!

How did you find that? I am simply amazed!!!! Please share with me. I'd like to improve my search skills.

What makes you think it is shore patrol??

us
    Ben from NH, the Z means nothing

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    6039 times
    About one million recruits went through this training station during WWII, but after training they each had their own assignment, so weren't kept as a unit that itself could be tracked to particular battles, etc. You would have to track each graduating member individually. It's Possible that the folks here might have some insight to who was in that class? Great Lakes Training Station - 1943. Added: maybe not, their site seems to be a bit jumbled with categories... But it's out there somewhere!
    Your use of "yard long photograph" is a pretty well accepted term for these in the antiques/collectors world, and can vary anywhere from 18" to 42". Not to be confused with yard long (painting) prints, which generally really were a yard.
    Last edited by nhbenz; Dec 09, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain

us
    Dec 2010
    631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James cash View Post
    I came across this,dont know if it will be any help.I'm pretty sure that its a graduation photo

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...kDBZBG9g3ZEyag
    Thank you!!!!!!

I don't see my panoramic listed. I would consider donating this panoramic if someone is trying to record and preserve these old photos. Was there a link to that document? A home page?

us
    Dec 2010
    631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbenz View Post
    About one million recruits went through this training station during WWII, but after training they each had their own assignment, so weren't kept as a unit that itself could be tracked to particular battles, etc. You would have to track each graduating member individually. It's Possible that the folks here might have some insight to who was in that class? Great Lakes Training Station - 1943. Added: maybe not, their site seems to be a bit jumbled with categories... But it's out there somewhere!
    Your use of "yard long photograph" is a pretty well accepted term for these in the antiques/collectors world, and can vary anywhere from 18" to 42". Not to be confused with yard long (painting) prints, which generally really were a yard.
    Thank you!!!!!

I thought that this company might have been broken up after graduation. It would have been cool to learn that they stayed together, and were the sailors blasting the shore on D-Day, or fighting in the Pacific.

I really appreciate the help!!!!!

Sponsored Links