Half a bar of something
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Half a bar of something

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2017
    30 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Half a bar of something

Hey, wondering if someone could help me with this thing. Itīs a bar thatīs been cut in half. Iīd say it weighs about 100 grams.
    The inscriptions say: LINGOEIGO (the word gets cut off here), ISCC, 200 (guessing thatīs the weight in grams if the thing was whole), GM.

Iīve had it since I was a kid, and always wondered if it could be gold, but itīs definitely too hard to be pure. Anyone recognize the markings?
    Btw, the pink color on the front is from a permanent marker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170714_191743351.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	1472367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170714_191828910.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	5.01 MB 
ID:	1472368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170714_193233115.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	4.78 MB 
ID:	1472369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170714_191652503.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	1472370  

mcl
    us
    Sep 2014
    407 times
    I can't help but wonder if the first line isn't the description of what the bar is made of and that you unfortunately got only the first part of that. I say that because "LINGO" is the first several letters of the word for "ingot" in various languages, including French ("lingot"), Spanish and Portuguese ("lingote"), and other similar languages.

Jul 2017
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcl View Post
    I can't help but wonder if the first line isn't the description of what the bar is made of and that you unfortunately got only the first part of that. I say that because "LINGO" is the first several letters of the word for "ingot" in various languages, including French ("lingot"), Spanish and Portuguese ("lingote"), and other similar languages.
    Oh yeah, cool observation! Iīve tried googling the word and tons of different variations without luck. There is some damage to the "E", but it seems unlikely to be a "T".
    A2coins likes this.

mcl
    us
    Sep 2014
    407 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sqeal View Post
    Oh yeah, cool observation! Iīve tried googling the word and tons of different variations without luck. There is some damage to the "E", but it seems unlikely to be a "T".
    Of course -- but don't forget conjugation/contraction/other grammar practices in other languages may result in letters getting dropped, portmanteau type situations, and other things you might not expect. I don't know all of these rules, but I guess what I'm saying is that the dictionary spelling of a word might not be what gets used in common parlance. Also, if the bar was hand-stamped, one letter could have been really light, forgotten completely, etc, or the spacing between letters could obscure the separation between words. "E" could very well be a word on its own, for instance, as it means "and" in Spanish.

Just a thought.
    sqeal, A2coins and 4x4x4 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6529 times
    E I GO Could be a reference to E.I. DuPont gold standards created to identify loss of precious metals during the purification process or to deliver cost of alloying gold or Silver.
    I see it as Ingot E I. Go (LD missing)

I would definitely have it assayed or just do an acid test on it. It looks like a piece of a refiners bar to me.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Jul 2017
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    E I GO Could be a reference to E.I. DuPont gold standards created to identify loss of precious metals during the purification process or to deliver cost of alloying gold or Silver.

I would definitely have it assayed or just do an acid test on it. It looks like a piece of a refiners bar to me.
    Now that you mention it, there seems to be a punctuation-mark after the "I", thought it was a damage, but it seems like a pretty deliberate mark after a closer look.
    Iīm pretty blank at this, what is a refiners bar?
    The_Piratess, A2coins and Joe-Dirt like this.

mcl
    us
    Sep 2014
    407 times

I see Lingos -- the "E" appears to have been stamped over with "S". Compare to the "S" in ISCC in the row below.
    sqeal, A2coins and Joe-Dirt like this.

Jul 2017
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcl View Post
    I see Lingos -- the "E" appears to have been stamped over with "S". Compare to the "S" in ISCC in the row below.
    Yup, youīre right, thought it was damage, but thereīs definitely an "S" stamped inside the "E". Sloppy spelling back in the day.

EDIT: It actually looks more like the "S" was misstamped, and the "E" was stamped over it.
    Last edited by sqeal; Jul 14, 2017 at 05:00 PM.
    A2coins likes this.

Jul 2017
    30 times
    A google-search for Lingo Seigo comes out with the first hit at 24hgold.com, so I guess thatīs a good sign.

EDIT: That would be Lingo Sigo. Which doesnīt give anything.
    Last edited by sqeal; Jul 14, 2017 at 04:56 PM.
    The_Piratess and A2coins like this.

us
    Saint Malo Marauder

Apr 2017
    Ghost Ship
    Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
    1728 times
    How did you happen to come across that as a kid? Enquiring minds would like to know...
    A2coins and Kurios1 like this.

"I don't want to sail with this ship of fools." - Karl Wallinger

Jul 2017
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Piratess View Post
    How did you happen to come across that as a kid? Enquiring minds would like to know...
    Well, enquiring minds should be informed. I found it in the attic where I grew up, it intrigued me, so I held on to it. It was used as a toy, hence the pink permanent marker. I have no idea where it came from, but my best guess is that my great-grandfather brought it from America early in the 1900s. I live in Norway, and pretty much everyone went to America to try their luck at that time. Maybe he hid this thing in the attic and forgot about it

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6529 times
    Refiners purify gold or strengthen gold with alloys. Way back in the grandfathers day a private customer could take gold in for refining or fortification. It would be stamped similar to this identifying the customer the weight and the the purity or loss in refining. I do the same thing today with large quantities of product contain precious metal. They refine it and Pay me for the recovery as I don't want 50 oz of gold delivered to me. If I did I would receive refiner bars.
    A2coins, 4x4x4 and P.ALLEN like this.

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!

Jul 2017
    30 times
    Refiners purify gold or strengthen gold with alloys. Way back in the grandfathers day a private customer could take gold in for refining or fortification. It would be stamped similar to this identifying the customer the weight and the the purity or loss in refining. I do the same thing today with large quantities of product contain precious metal. They refine it and Pay me for the recovery as I don't want 50 oz of gold delivered to me. If I did I would receive refiner bars.
    Thatīs really interesting, thanks for you knowledge. So this might actually be a lump of fortified gold-alloy?

us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    1231 times
    ........and , Welcome to these hallowed halls of Treasurenet from California !
    trdking, sqeal and Kurios1 like this.
    "GIVE ME ANALOG , OR GIVE ME DEATH"

... Walks on flaming Pop tarts ...

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6529 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sqeal View Post
    Thatīs really interesting, thanks for you knowledge. So this might actually be a lump of fortified gold-alloy?
    Your pictures are not very good. It is very hard to determine the true color to make any determination of what it is. It is an alloy of something. If it is gold color when you are holding it in your hand , it is very likely I would say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links