Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelabs are some of the deepest detectors besides PI's which also get very deep with many frequencies. Gold responds best with some of the higher freq. and Silver with the lower. I have no idea where relics would respond best. Which ever freq you use it is always best to over lap your sweeps and keep the coil level with the ground for the whole sweep since the coils field is very small at max depth.

Three Ringer

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USMC,

Yes you will get more depth in single frequency mode. In single frequency mode all of the transmit power goes to one frequency. You gain a little depth but you lose the additional target analysis info you get when using 3 frequencies. If you are in a trashy park and most targets are less than 6 inches use 3 frequency and you'll dig less trash. If you are at an old site without much trash and looking for targets 6 inches and deeper, then use single frequency.

In theory 2.5 is best for silver, 7.5 is best for brass, and 22.5 is best for gold. However in practice it's a little more complicated. 22.5 is best for small targets and will often be your best choice for silver coins and other small targets. Also, you may find places where the EMI is so bad you have to choose the single frequency with the least noise.

Also due to mineralization and other soil conditions sometimes a particular frequency will work better in one place than another.

I suggest bringing a couple sample targets to a new site and burying them at 4-6 inches to see which frequency responds best. There is lot's of good info regarding single frequency use in a post from RC Snake on another forum. You may also want to look at the the Advanced Users Guide from Carl at Whites.

Good luck!
Three Ringer

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The answer is both yes and no. It definitely is CAPABLE of detecting deeper in single frequency, however you can often raise your gains and sensitivities a bit higher with Best Data Multi.

That being said, I use the 7.5KHz in certain spots that have been "hunted out" to try to get the deep stuff. It picks up well on all types of targets. If you really want to crank up the sensitivity to tiny gold and other small targets, try 22.5KHz. I air tested it on the small 14K gold charm, and in 22.5KHz the V3i still beeped at nearly 6 inches, and the all metal at 9. (Both the Minelab Excalibur and two different E-tracks had a tough time detecting it at more than 1/2 inch!)

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 854
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 850

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions