Whats my best choice for around $1,000 thinking on buying a White.

malibu

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2011
Central MN
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
Hey guys - gals

Looking at getting a white detector! Im trading in my Ecal 1000. I want something that is simple to use dont have all the time to learn a minelab although they are great machines i just dont have time..So i want something thats a great easy machine to use maybe once a week until the winter comes (Mn.) Budget will be around 1,000 give or take 100 bucks..

Whats my best choice in Whites? Why? Thanks appeciate the help!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
What makes you think a Whites will be easier to learn? Top of their range will take just as much learning as a minelab. Sounds like you just can't be bothered learning and just want to dig some finds quick..in which case save a few hundred dollars and just get an Ace250 or something!

OP
OP
M

malibu

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2011
Central MN
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
Dano Sverige said:
What makes you think a Whites will be easier to learn? Top of their range will take just as much learning as a minelab. Sounds like you just can't be bothered learning and just want to dig some finds quick..in which case save a few hundred dollars and just get an Ace250 or something!

Im going off what other people have said on the forum that some of the whites are easier to use than a minelab, not all but some (whites MXT Pro $900.00)..No knock on the minelab, but if i can get a machine with less learning curve the better for me because its only a part time hobby. I owned the Minelab excal 1000 for three years. im done with the water gig so i just want a land dectector thats a tad easier..This is why i posted this on a white forum not a minelab forum. U are a minelab guy good for u..Im only interested in what White users have to say..Im ok with some learning curve 1,000 white might be easier to learn than a 1,000 dollar minelab. I did post on the Minelab forum still might get the safari but im still researching..Thanks dano!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am very happy with the MXT PRO. I sold my DFX and got the PRO. Awesome and so much easier and faster. Now the DFX is a great machine but too many times when I was hunting my friends were already hunting and I was still trying to program the machine for the area. The MXT you just turn on and go. If you need to make any changes you just make the knob adjustments. You can get it way under $1000. I got the Pro, 10x12 SEF coil, bag, headphones, and pinpointer for under that.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Didn't mean to come across as a Minelab salesman lol. Sorry. Just with you saying about the learning curve, and how much you wanted to spend, sounded like you'd be getting a machine with the same amount of curve. No matter, but having used the Excal for 3 years you could go onto the Soveriegn, which is the land version of the Excal...and no learning curve. :wink:

Best of luck whatever you choose mate.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I too believe the MXT is the way to go. Had the DFX and Etrac, though great detectors, the MXT fits my hunting better. If you only hunt for coins and jewlery, the M6 is cheaper and an excellent coice as well. M6 is the same as the MXT with a little less options. Either of these two are excellent detectors!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the MXT as well, great detector. HH

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too, have an mxt and a dfx. I personally like the dfx better but then I have it set up so it is just about like the mxt only I can adjust the volume.
One of the best after market services I have ever deal with, and I only had to deal with them once when the coil got bumped bad.

MrPoptop

Jan 3, 2011
Cowlitz County, Washington
Detector(s) used
2 AT Pros and a BH Tracker 4
My Hunting Buddy has a Few other high end machines...
But he Prefers his MXT-Pro.
He likes the simplicity and the performance.
I have to say his finds have been way better since he got it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I preferred the DFX to the MXT also but this is a personal choice. I just think the DFX is more programable if I want to do anything different with the programs. However it is just a turn on and go too right out of the box. You can learn as you go and Ya can't mess it up as you can hold in the power button to reset it to factory settings. However I hardly ever use the screen and prefer a much lighter Tejon for ground hunting. The Sov GT was my go to detector mainly because it is like the Excal in sounds, but I have the Sunray in-line probe installed on it. That is like having a 1" coil.

OP
OP
M

malibu

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2011
Central MN
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
Appreciate the help! so i have it down to Minelab Safari or a MTX pro or DFX...Looks like ill test a few out in the coming week to see how they operate!

Trying to keep it at a 1000 bucks..You guys been great appreciate the kindness!

Malibu

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
For ease of use that would be the MXT Pro............. But i never thought of the Minelab Excalibur or Sovereign as a detector that had a learning curve........

OP
OP
M

malibu

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2011
Central MN
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
Ok Guys! Thanks for all the help! After reading forum after forum and being somewhat more confused on what to purchase. I went with the MXT Pro It seemed to be the right choice for me. Liked the price, got a good trade in value plus got head phones and a probe. It will be a week before i get out..

Thanks again

Malibu

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
That's awsome, I am sure you will love the Pro and look forward to hearing how you likle it! :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
malibu said:
Ok Guys! Thanks for all the help! After reading forum after forum and being somewhat more confused on what to purchase. I went with the MXT Pro It seemed to be the right choice for me. Liked the price, got a good trade in value plus got head phones and a probe. It will be a week before i get out..

Thanks again

Malibu
They were all good choices and it comes down to what makes you happy.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the MXT. I have always heard good things about them.

OP
OP
M

malibu

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2011
Central MN
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
This week has been so busy working i cant get out yet to try my MXT..Its like having a Porsche 911 in the garage and cant find the keys. Soon is coming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread