Dfx owners

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Hey Stud,

I have tried this same thing with silver and clad coins that I have found with my DFX, the VDI came up almost identical between the two dimes. What was different though was the tone.....don't know how to describe it because they both "sang" high but the silver seemed to ring either louder or longer.
I always use Tone ID on my machine and rely as much on tone as I do VDI. I have also found that the settings being used seem to change the tone somewhat...which I can't explain. I ran this test using the "coin" program and then changed to Jeff Foster's general purpose program with the sensitivity and pre-amp gain bumped up. The Foster program seems to make the silver "sing" more.

DK

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
I'm new to detecting and to the DFX but have found them both to be very addicting. I've tried various tests and sometimes I can tell a difference between silver and clads but it's not easy to say for sure. I would suggest continuing your tests by burying coins, rings, pull tabs, etc. until you're comfortable with the tones (if you use them) and the numbers you get with each. The other thing is to read, read, read...everything you can find on the DFX and detecting. There's also an exclusive DFX site you can go to -- www.dfxonly.com -- that has been a great help to me. Good luck with everything.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I have noticed is that a clad dime will "warble". The tone will go between 2 adjacent tones (of the 190 available). A silver dime's tone will only be 1 tone...and it sounds sweet :) You, of course, have to have Tone ID on to hear this.

HH!
TBGO

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information. Thanks.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with TonyinCT, generally on my DFX a silver coin (whether it is a dime, quarter or half) will read 2 - 3 numbers higher than the clad.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Does it matter?
I say if you get a VDI (normalized), between 78-81, dig it. You'll have a dime, ring or a copper penny.
83-84- ring or quarter.
I wouldn't ignore anything above 78 for silver hunting.
Just pinpoint and see how big the footprint is to make sure it's not a can.
Hope this helps!

HH!!!

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stud564 said:
I was wandering the difference between silver mode and coins. i have taken a coin with silver and put another coin 5 feet away from the other and they made the same noise and same vdi. I was wandering how you could tell if you had silver or just a regular coin. Thanks

First, silver mode is set up to look deeper in the ground on the DFX than coin mode. If you look in the manual it will tell you the different settings between the two modes.

Signagraph is still the best way to ID a target.

Second, VDI readings will be close to the same except in single 1- 3 hzt mode, which shows a lower signagraph scale reading on silver, and is better for silver hunting depending on the ground mineralzation reading, then Corrolate may be better. There are many variables that go into it. Get the book (Digging Deeper with the DFX) http://www.fielddepth.com/ by Jeff Foster to learn lots more about how the DFX operates.

Good hunting.
Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread