XLT users input please

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: XLT user's input please

Hello Ken,

I've had an XLT for about 7 years and have used it inland and at the beach for most types of metal detecting. The biggest drawback it has in my opinion is weight. Although this is a tradeoff with any brand that has graphic display along with all the extra features. I haven't been able to get the depth that I expected although most of my hunting is in soil that is highly compacted clay with rather high mineralization. I tried to remedy the weight problem with an accessory that attaches the upper part of the detector to my waist belt but it was cumbersome. One that would hang the control box from maybe a strap around the neck might work better. Having said all that, the many forms of target information that you can get with the XLT makes it a formidable detector in a variety of conditions. I recently hunted some fill dirt at a construction site with a friend that had a detector with no graphic display or tone id feature. This dirt was so littered with iron trash that it was almost impossible to hunt with any detector. I was able to pick out many more good targets than my friend. Having the xlt was a distinct advantage. I think that there is a few detectors out there that have better depth from the factory but the ton of id features on the xlt has spoiled me somewhat. It may boil down to what is the maximum number of features you can get at the least possible weight.

CAP

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I've had my XLT for three years. The only detector I've owned. I did get an aching arm the first few times I swung it for several hours at a time. Since then I've been okay. I've never considered it heavy.
All of the info it gives is great. I rarely dig deeper than six inches for a target using the 9-inch coil. The depth could depend on my abilities though.
What I really like is the rechargeable battery. I've read many comments about people having to buy batteries all the time for the MD. I'm still using the battery that came with it. Have never had problems during a search of up to five hours in a day.
I'd like to try a bigger coil. I did buy a "Bigfoot" coil. It seems great for covering lots of ground, but I don't believe the depth indication I get when using it.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Never found the XLT to be heavy if care is taken with setting the length to achieve a good balance. You should be able to get larger coins to 12 inches with the stock coil if Relic mode is used and sensitivity maximised for each site.
Only let down is on wet sand where it can be made to work but other machines manage more depth far easier. O and one more. Target masking. If working high trash areas then its best to drop to the 8 inch or 6 inch coils.
The Bigfoot can really make you money on those long flat beaches and picking up less ground effect higher sensitivity can be used but you can't expect depth reading to be correct as its effectively only a two inch coil. The detector can't tell you have fitted it and gives coin depths based on a 9.5 being used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions