New Whites Water Detectors Coming Soon...?

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. White's is very close-mouthed about pre-release items. Unless you have a friend that works there that is willing to risk his/her job. You're not going to find out anything for sure until it is released.

OP
OP
S

SunkenJewels

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I Buy the White's Surf PI or Wait...?

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Do you think I should buy the White's Surf PI or wait to see if the two new detectors are coming out this summer?

Any feedback on the White's Surf PI would be appreciated

Thanks again...

No. White's is very close-mouthed about pre-release items. Unless you have a friend that works there that is willing to risk his/her job. You're not going to find out anything for sure until it is released.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im ready this week to drop down on a gold bug pro but the wait is 4-6 weeks . i wanted a GMT but the bug pro might go a little deep on bigger stuff .SHOULD I WAIT ? found a mine lab eureka for $700 used .

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

SunkenJewels

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: White's Surf PI

There are rumors about all the manufactures coming out with new detectors since spring is the time we are all hopped up to buy a new toy. The Surfmaster PI and Surfmaster PI Pro are barely different. White's Electronics Surfmaster P.I. | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine No matter what the ads say, PI's have very little if any disc.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Yes, that is the million dollar question. If I buy the Surf PI which I consider to be one of the top detectors for the Beaches, do I feel like digging all targets, no. It is pretty stupid for White's to come out with a detector or for that matter any company with no Discrimination Settings on a detector for high trash areas.

I just sold my Minelab Excal II. I found nothing with it. Trust me, I tried every setting, not even a good solid hit. In fact, I am wondering if the detector was defective. I did not even find any coins. Go figure that. I am still shocked at the lack of the Excal II finding anything especially on the East Coast Beaches that date back to 1600's.

Non of the detectors on the market right now make me jump up and down. The new Garrett AT Pro is a plastic box with nothing in it. The detector feels as if it would break the minute it was dropped from 5 inches up. The construction of it leaves me scratching my head asking the question, why Garrett? Why did Garrett manufacture a detector that is only guaranteed to find things up to 8" down? If you call Garrett, the company will tell you, the AT Pro will only go down to between 6" and 8" max. Anything deeper, you may get lucky.

I am plain disappointed with all the manufacturers.

Does anyone have any ideas for a great Beach Detector? These detectors coming out that are so called "water proof" to 10' make me laugh. What good is that? You go out with it in the water, a few times, a few huge waves every time, what happens to the detector? Will it be in service every other week.

Who knows anymore...

With all the technology out, how hard is it to manufacture a great detector!

I guess it goes to show you just how out of place and out dated the Executives are running these companies today.

When a company can manufacture a machine to scan a person in an airport, full body scan, and cannot produce a solid detector, you know something is wrong in the metal detecting world.

Last edited:

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with a Beach Hunter I.D. here in Michigan but usually only in the water, it's great for the beach too, I've made some great finds on the beach but there's more in the water. I would probably have a pulse machine if I was near the coast by saltwater. Usually I dig everything anyway and always run in all metal.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally do not buy a "new" model of anything be it a automobile, motorcycle, metal detector etc. I like to let them get the bugs worked out and then buy the "improved" unit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SunkenJewels

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds...Giant

I hunt with a Beach Hunter I.D. here in Michigan but usually only in the water, it's great for the beach too, I've made some great finds on the beach but there's more in the water. I would probably have a pulse machine if I was near the coast by saltwater. Usually I dig everything anyway and always run in all metal.

So tell me, you found all those items with the White's Spectra V3i...?

How deep does the V3i go...?

You have some great antique items...good job.!

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are rumors about all the manufactures coming out with new detectors since spring is the time we are all hopped up to buy a new toy. The Surfmaster PI and Surfmaster PI Pro are barely different. White's Electronics Surfmaster P.I. | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine No matter what the ads say, PI's have very little if any disc.

Great read. It's interesting how, with the exception of 100' depth vs. 30' depth, that article could be about today's Surf PI rather than a model from 20 years ago. in fact, it's just that 20 year period with no really new developments that makes me think it's about the right time for White's to come out with a totally new model. After reading about the P.I., I believe I'm going to have to re-think my strategy. I was going to pick up a BHID 300 to use in the water, but, maybe supplementing my BHID 950 with a P.I. machine would be the smarter way to go...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the White's water detectors coils float like corks. Their ad says "near-neutral buoyancy," of the coil, but if you let go of the handle the coil sticks out of the water unlike all the other water detectors. Some don't mind this, but I found it tiring holding the coil near the bottom. Course to be fair you could always add a sand filled sock to the coil and take it off when doing the dry sand.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my mxt speedo-dept-meter goes from 0 to12 inches. Haa
take that atpro

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So tell me, you found all those items with the White's Spectra V3i...?

How deep does the V3i go...?

You have some great antique items...good job.!

Most all of my finds from the past three years are with my V3i, I only use the BHID in the water and rarely find anything old with it, I have found a couple old rings with it but that's about it.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

<snip> It is pretty stupid for White's to come out with a detector or for that matter any company with no Discrimination Settings on a detector for high trash areas.

<snip>
I guess it goes to show you just how out of place and out dated the Executives are running these companies today.

<snip>
The Beach Hunter ID and Surf P.I. are both water machines that have their specialties. The Beach Hunter ID does have discrimination, and it works rather well, and it's waterproof to 25 feet which is just about as deep as the "trash line" is going to go. The Surf P.I. is rated for 100 feet, and you aren't going to find a lot of hair pins there. Discrimination is fine, but it gets in the way of depth. Those machines with the greatest depth seem to have the least discrimination. I can't speak to other companies, but I can tell you that the owner of White's uses every one of the detectors his company sells. He also has an engineering team that is encouraged to think outside the box and be innovative. The V3i is a great example of that. It is also a good example of how White's listened to consumers and tried to incorporate those things they looked for most in a detector. I voted for a clock, but was disappointed... When I think of how far detectors have come, I am amazed. After all, how far can you develop an electromagnetic coil, anyway?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for a clock the detector would have to have a it own watch battery

wvdirtdigger

Mar 9, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beach Hunter ID and Surf P.I. are both water machines that have their specialties. The Beach Hunter ID does have discrimination, and it works rather well, and it's waterproof to 25 feet which is just about as deep as the "trash line" is going to go. The Surf P.I. is rated for 100 feet, and you aren't going to find a lot of hair pins there. Discrimination is fine, but it gets in the way of depth. Those machines with the greatest depth seem to have the least discrimination. I can't speak to other companies, but I can tell you that the owner of White's uses every one of the detectors his company sells. He also has an engineering team that is encouraged to think outside the box and be innovative. The V3i is a great example of that. It is also a good example of how White's listened to consumers and tried to incorporate those things they looked for most in a detector. I voted for a clock, but was disappointed... When I think of how far detectors have come, I am amazed. After all, how far can you develop an electromagnetic coil, anyway?

I borrowed a surf master last year on my beach trip. We got a hard storm that produced a couple deep cuts. I followed up three guys and pulled a ring out about a foot deep (silver) Yes you will dig a lot of trash but it picks up deeper targets.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, a foot deeper than the cut. That's amazing, I think. One of these days I might get serious about water work. I'm probably really missing a bet by not searching the rivers near me.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I just sold my Minelab Excal II. I found nothing with it. Trust me, I tried every setting, not even a good solid hit. In fact, I am wondering if the detector was defective. I did not even find any coins. Go figure that. I am still shocked at the lack of the Excal II finding anything especially on the East Coast Beaches that date back to 1600's.

If you couldn't find anything with the excal, then either EVERYTHING was extremely deep, nothing was there, or your detector was malfunctioning. My gold finds have skyrocketed since switching AWAY from a PI to the Excal.

PIs are good detectors but they have their place and iron-trashy beaches isn't it.

OP
OP
S

SunkenJewels

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you couldn't find anything with the excal, then either EVERYTHING was extremely deep, nothing was there, or your detector was malfunctioning. My gold finds have skyrocketed since switching AWAY from a PI to the Excal.

PIs are good detectors but they have their place and iron-trashy beaches isn't it.

So....Do you think I should wait to see what White's has for new water detectors or should I buy the Excal II again and hope for a working detector?

Thanks

Happy Hunting...!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never sit around waiting for a rumored detector release. you could be waiting many years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread