New M6 on the way.. I wanted a mxt pro but...

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I traded my AT-Pro for a M6 with some extras, I am not new to whites detectors and ever since I sold mine I always wanted to go back. Well I wanted to get a mxt pro since the detector that I most missed was the mxt 300 I had, but it was out of my range, so I got an offer of a M6 with two coils. Well since I have read that the M6 is based on the Mxt but without the relic and prospecting modes (that I never really used on mine), I thought it was a good option. Only concern I have is the lack of threshold. Will this affect a lot on really deep targets? Other than that what are the other disadvantages I might encounter from the mxt?

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest selling point for me on the MXT was the threshold which will get you a little more depth but if you didn't use the other modes on the MXT you'll be just fine, you might miss that threshold tone for a while though. HH

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Norbyx

When you get your M6 let us know what you think of it. Others including myself would like to know. I'm considering either the M6 or MX5 in the near future. They both seem like good machines.

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well as soon as I get it, that means at least 10 days, I will try it and see how much it reminds me of the mxt...

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go for the M6 over the MX5 just for the metal box and switches and knobs verses the push buttons as I detect in some thick wooded area's from time to time and like the built like a tank detectors. HH

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
I'd go for the M6 over the MX5 just for the metal box and switches and knobs verses the push buttons as I detect in some thick wooded area's from time to time and like the built like a tank detectors. HH

I agree even though the mx5 has some pluses like the notch, if not mistaken the backlit display and the volume control and two tone hunting.
I think that if it performs as they set it does, it won't be long before we see them all around.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
As an outspoken M6 user, I can guarantee you that you made the right choice. I have the MXT Pro as well, but they both basically function on the same system and at 14-15KHZ. The M6 also comes with the 950 coil which pinpoints like a dream and is one of Whites best coils. The MX5 is supposed to be good, but I prefer the 2 knob 1 toggle set up ....... less to go wrong. I was air testing mine tonight for a few and noticed that at factory settings I was getting 10" solid on quarters and 12" if I blasted the sensitivity. I run the threshold on my MXT just under audible - In other words silent ( about 9 o'clock position ). I get no more distance on a US Quarter than I do with my M6 usually using the same 950 coil. When I put the 12' 300 coil on the MXT Pro I tend to gain an inch or so in depth. Trust me, My M6 is usually my main machine and my MXT is usually my back up. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions when you get it. HH

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The M6 has a great reputation and for some time I've considered getting one myself. Now that the MX5 is on the scene, it seems equally impressive and have heard many great things about it as well. Like the simplicity of the M6 but the MX5 has great additional features but really there is not much input on how it actually performs in the field. It is quite the dilemma, unless I get both!

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
As an outspoken M6 user, I can guarantee you that you made the right choice. I have the MXT Pro as well, but they both basically function on the same system and at 14-15KHZ. The M6 also comes with the 950 coil which pinpoints like a dream and is one of Whites best coils. The MX5 is supposed to be good, but I prefer the 2 knob 1 toggle set up ....... less to go wrong. I was air testing mine tonight for a few and noticed that at factory settings I was getting 10" solid on quarters and 12" if I blasted the sensitivity. I run the threshold on my MXT just under audible - In other words silent ( about 9 o'clock position ). I get no more distance on a US Quarter than I do with my M6 usually using the same 950 coil. When I put the 12' 300 coil on the MXT Pro I tend to gain an inch or so in depth. Trust me, My M6 is usually my main machine and my MXT is usually my back up. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions when you get it. HH

Thanks for the input, I know I loved the mxt, so after reading your post I think I will get to love the m6 as well. The big 300 coil was more or less useless here were I detect. There was too much trash and the big coil was a no no. I mainly used the eclipse 5x10 dd, and fortunately enough the M6 comes with this coil and the stock 950 as well... So I should be good to go. I just hope to get my tracking number today, and get the detector next week...

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Good luck and feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I actually do know the M6 inside and out and can probably answer ANY questions that you may have.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know several people with an M6 and it is a fantastic machine! Most I know use the 950 coil or the 6X10.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Agreed - used my M6 with 950 coil all afternoon in wet sand ...... not one false signal

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great all around machine, superfast, I use a 10" excelerator coil, even with its size its a killer in trash

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Great all around machine, superfast, I use a 10" excelerator coil, even with its size its a killer in trash

I've been thinking about putting my 12" 300 from my MXT on it just for fun..........could be great at beach....

What do you think?

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Interesting, I also have been taking a hard look at the M6. This one is on my short list for my next detector.

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
I've been thinking about putting my 12" 300 from my MXT on it just for fun..........could be great at beach....

What do you think?

I had the mxt 300 that had the 12 coil from factory... I personally thought it to be too much and hardly ever used it, the d2 coil or 10 inch dd is probably the best coil of them all. Just my personal opinion

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Well the m6 should be delivered by Friday, if I am lucky I can try it out Saturday.... Now the other news is that I am trading the CZ-70 for a MX5. I have to stop changing detectors and concentrate in detecting, unfortunately over the years I have noticed that the only machines that work well in this country are the ones that have automatic ground tracking system, and for what I know, whites are the only ones (maybe minelab?). So I am going to stick to the whites for now, as I did before and keep my two detectors.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Just another great feature about the M6

1. Turn it on........... up to factory set sensitivity
2. Put the toggle in appropriate mode ( salt etc )
3. Pump up and down ( 8" above ground to 2" above ground ) slowly until it gets virtually silent ( 5 or 6 times )

You are ground balanced!

If you forget to, the M6 will automatically balance from your first 10 sweeps or so

Any questions, I am here

cadman20

Aug 4, 2010
I have both the M6 and the MX5, of the two, I prefer the M6. They are both good machines and the MX5 has a lot going for it, it is a deep and sensitive machine. I can't really give you a reason, other than, I just have more confidence in the M6.

Maybe it is the metal box and knobs of the M6, it just feels like a Whites machine should feel.

Not a lot of help I know....Sorry....lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread