New M6 on the way.. I wanted a mxt pro but...

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I have both the M6 and the MX5, of the two, I prefer the M6. They are both good machines and the MX5 has a lot going for it, it is a deep and sensitive machine. I can't really give you a reason, other than, I just have more confidence in the M6.

Maybe it is the metal box and knobs of the M6, it just feels like a Whites machine should feel.

Not a lot of help I know....Sorry....lol

Well put !

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

cadman20

Aug 4, 2010
Really, prefer the m6? I have an m6, should have my mx5 tomorrow. How do you set up your mx5?

Pretty close to default settings.

Coin mode

Sensitivity: 5 or 6 bars (any more and I get a bit of falsing in my soil) still gets good depth.

Volume: 20

Tones: 8

Disc: 0 and below out and +95 out

Threshold: between 5 and 10

I use the 5.3 eclipse coil most of the time. I hunt in old trashy places.

Where I hunt, if you get a repeatable signal dig it,

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it is interesting to see people that have the m6 end up trying the mx5... Just wonder what is the link.... I hope to have the m6 delivered tomorrow. I know I have always liked whites black square metal box...( maybe it's so ugly that it's actually beautiful), the mx5 looks more like a modern detector. I know that the only reason I see to keep them both in the near future (if they perform more or less similar) would be to try to induce my wife or someone to get out and detect with me. The m6 would be the ideal detector to give some newbe, it can't get much simpler than that...

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me its a combination of alot of things that I like in the whites machines balled into one, use of notch if I want, threshhold, tones, gb, volume control (if my kids are with me I dont use hps, volume adjust) and the speed, you cant get any other machine that does all that for the price, but will never give up my m6

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the m6 finally arrived, other than the center rod being the one of an mxt, so it's curved instead of straight, and looks a bit funny, the detector promises good capability.... Just did some air tests and found out that there is quite some difference in the tone id and the two tone mode. The tone I'd reaches a certain depth than the two tones kick in, much like the mxt with the threshold.... It is very interesting. The mx5 is also on the way but from my preliminary results I don't thin it can be much deeper, I got a good tone id with a local coin at 11.5 inches and the detector went into a single tone up to 14 inches.... Now that is amazing, I know it's just a stupid air test but if it performs, HALF as good in the ground I will be happy.
There is something in whites detectors that screens quality.... They just feel right....

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Finally I tested the m6 on the ground. I went to a park near my house and let me tell you I am very satisfied with the detector. God I missed my mxt, well the m6 feels like a mxt, it has the tone id that I found to be quite usefull if you don't want to hunt watching the screen. The detector behaves very well, when you hear a good signal and a steady vdi 90% of the time it's a coin. I dug very little trash, I dug some just to confirm it was trash, and it was...
In conclusion I love it... I can't believe I gave my mxt away but now I have a m6 that might be even better than the stock mxt if you consider that I don't care about prospecting mode, and soon to be here the mx5...

Another thing I wanted to discuss, to you fellow whites lovers, is that after having a v3i and not loving it, I am thinking to go the other extreme and purchase a minelab to have the multifrequency. I have asked in other forums and apparently everyone says that it's the best thing out there. I question this because if it really was the best of the best, why in hell will people still purchase VLF metal detectors? Price is not a reason since once you have two different detectors you could easily have a minelab instead. So is it really a better way to find the good stuff? Is it really worth it? Maybe some of you have tested or own one and can tell me why ... I know that in my personal experience I rather have a mxt than a v3i, will minelab be all that better?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally I tested the m6 on the ground. I went to a park near my house and let me tell you I am very satisfied with the detector. God I missed my mxt, well the m6 feels like a mxt, it has the tone id that I found to be quite usefull if you don't want to hunt watching the screen. The detector behaves very well, when you hear a good signal and a steady vdi 90% of the time it's a coin. I dug very little trash, I dug some just to confirm it was trash, and it was... In conclusion I love it... I can't believe I gave my mxt away but now I have a m6 that might be even better than the stock mxt if you consider that I don't care about prospecting mode, and soon to be here the mx5... Another thing I wanted to discuss, to you fellow whites lovers, is that after having a v3i and not loving it, I am thinking to go the other extreme and purchase a minelab to have the multifrequency. I have asked in other forums and apparently everyone says that it's the best thing out there. I question this because if it really was the best of the best, why in hell will people still purchase VLF metal detectors? Price is not a reason since once you have two different detectors you could easily have a minelab instead. So is it really a better way to find the good stuff? Is it really worth it? Maybe some of you have tested or own one and can tell me why ... I know that in my personal experience I rather have a mxt than a v3i, will minelab be all that better?

Which Minelab are you referring to? If you could not master the V3i I would not recommend the 3030.

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
I was referring to etrack or safari...

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I owned a Safari for a couple of weeks and didn't really like it all that much. I brought it back to Kellyco and lost 20% of its value ............ for trading towards another machine?????????? This is why I only deal with small private companies now.

As far as the Safari went, I felt it to be heavy, or at least uncomfortable to use for long periods. It was also very hard to pinpoint with.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT will get every bit as deep as the E-trac with the right coil, I never feel outgunned with my MXT and I'm sure the M6 is about the same it might take some time to know the machine well enough to get the real deep stuff. Coils will make all the difference for depth and in heavy trash you'll want a smaller coil though, every coil has its place though but the D2 is a really deep coil and separates pretty good for a big coil as well. HH

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Did you ever feel that the minelabs would be more accurate than te whites? Did you ever had that feeling that you would find more good stuff...???

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you ever feel that the minelabs would be more accurate than te whites? Did you ever had that feeling that you would find more good stuff...???

Yes. No matter what detector you own you will always think there is a better one to get. :)

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope only that you can tailor it to suit your needs better, like on the V3i you can even tailor the tones you hear and with the MXT or the M6 you just have to get used to what you have. The V3i has the freq. offset that will help with EMI and with the MXT or M6 all you can do is turn down the sensitivity which you will lose some depth, so they do have some nice features that you won't get on the MXT or the M6. I don't like to have and take time to scroll through a menu to make a simple adjustment though, I'd rather just turn the knob and keep detecting especially when I'm at a good location that I'm excited to detect and don't want to waste time that I could be finding good targets. I've come home with more silver than others with top end detectors my share of times for sure and never feel outgunned, I wouldn't trade my MXT for 3 of any other detector out there now. HH

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac is very deep and deeper than the MXT for silver but not good with gold. The MXT may not be as deep on the silver, but that is the only area I felt the MXT lacked, however, I find much more gold items with the MXT than I did with the Etrac. So, overall I like the MXT better and if I was going to go higher tech again, I think I like the V3I as it too would be good for gold items and I am sure it could keep up with the Minelab once learned. Right now, I like to turn it on, make a quick easy adjustment where I am hunting and hunt. Some day I will get back into the tweeking.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have the M6 and the AT Pro. The M6 is the last one I bought of the three. I also had the MXT and gave it to my in laws to get them into the sport. The M6 without threshold to me is not that big a deal. I found stuff 8" easy and I like the 7 tone ID. Its a little heavier machine than my other machines but it is a great park machine. I've gone back over where I'd been with my F75 and found coins. Like I said use the Tone ID in parks and you'll really like it. I also bought the 8X10 elliptical coil just for the parks and its great too. You did OK on the trade. Good luck. Gold miners.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I to had a Lad Explorer and sent it back to Fl. for an exchange and got charger the 20%. That's on me though. I ran my credit for a Fisher F75 Lt. and never looked back. In the state I live in I don't feel the lads work will. We don't have a lot of soil mineralization and to me the White's and Fisher's along with others work better. I bought the M6 a few months back and really like it for the old parks and schools. I put the 8X10 on it and that's a great combo. Good luck.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Check this out. I have used the M6 religiously for a while. Looking for something from the same line, but a little different, I just bought an MXT Pro. I really like it, but the 12" 300 coil just seemed to be too difficult to get used to. At the same time I couldn't help wondering how the M6's 950 might work on the MXT and how the 12" might perform with the M6. Yesterday I took the 12" and hooked it up to the M6 ...... Holy crap!!!!!!!!!! This Is my "Beach Cruiser". With the 12" coil it goes 1-3" deeper on coins, covers much more ground and is VERY sensitive to small items, all with the same legendary M6 dry and wet sand performance. I am digging pull tabs at 8-10" inches and they're blowing my ears off !!!!!! LOL the 12" is staying on the M6 !!!!!

Also the 950 is Great on the MXT Pro as well. I plan to try it coin shooting on the towel line in the AM. Tons of people on beach today / should be very trashy. I gonna discriminate everything but coins and gonna see what happens. The 950 coil should be perfect !

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Keep me posted I am interested in the results

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does make a difference on what coil you use as well, all coils are not made the same. I haven't seen any more depth from the E-trac in the area's I detect in as my MXT with the D2 coil will get dimes at 10"+ and have got a few at 12" before, that's running the D2 coil with the gain at +2. HH
The Etrac is very deep and deeper than the MXT for silver but not good with gold. The MXT may not be as deep on the silver, but that is the only area I felt the MXT lacked, however, I find much more gold items with the MXT than I did with the Etrac. So, overall I like the MXT better and if I was going to go higher tech again, I think I like the V3I as it too would be good for gold items and I am sure it could keep up with the Minelab once learned. Right now, I like to turn it on, make a quick easy adjustment where I am hunting and hunt. Some day I will get back into the tweeking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread