DFX or V3i

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
I have a older Garret talking CX from the 90s that I don't use(maybe still should be using it lol}
But I did buy a Garrett AT Pro a few years ago that got damage in a house fire before I was able to use it.
Now I am back after a few years thinking about buying another metal detector
I remember a few years ago that the Whites DFXs were selling for well over $1000
but can find them used on ebay for around $400(I guess they discontinued them}
But I do see that there is a Whites V3i for a tads over $1300,,How New are these?
Are they any better then the DFXs?.Thanks all.....JT

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure...the V3i is now the top of the line for Whites. It's a 3 frequency unit, compared to the DFX's two frequencies. The DFX always transmits in two freq.s. With the V3i you can select which, and how many freq's the unit transmits. That alone makes it superior, but that isn't the only reason. The question to ask your self is this: do you need everything the V3i gives you? I live in the Rockies, and the vast majority of the finds here are not deep. I doubt the V3i would find a single coin the DFX didn't. So, the V3i doesn't offer me much improvement over my DFX. Everybody has different needs, depending on their area, and condition, of operations.
Jim

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If money is no object then get the latest in technology. That's where the real advances are being made in this hobby.
I use to own a V3i and it really is a turn on and go machine, but if you decide to dig into the menus it has a very steep learning curve.
I sold mine for 2 reasons, I spent more time tweaking it than detecting, and it's a heavy machine, my upper back and neck couldn't take the pain after 30 minutes.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Money is not a problem
But I like the next greatest detector.
I am sure where I am in the Poconos a cheap detector could do the job
but If I do head towards the west coast looking for Gold that the V3i might be worth the price.
I was looking on ebay and the DFX300s are around $400 but hate to buy used stuff.
Glad to hear that the V3i is a ready machine,just turn it on and off you go...........JT

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find used V3i's for $900 all day long if you look.I was sold when I found a 'one thin dime' play dime at 11+ inches.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a V3i for about 2 years. It is a good machine, but does have some drawbacks. It can be very complicated to learn. If you are thinking of primarily using it to find gold, their are better less expensive detectors. Deepest thing I found so far was a quarter at 9 inches. The V3i has settings that will almost allow it to detect in almost any ground. An example was a time I detected around a electric box that had a crazy amount of EMI. After a few settings I got the detector quite and found a number of coins. If I were comparing the 2 detectors and money wasn't a factor, I would get the V3i and a TRX. You will have a detector that has enough adjustments to detect in more grounds then the DFX.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The v3I also has a prospecting mode and the best color screen of any popular detector on the market. If I can help you with any questions, feel free to give me a call.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a DFX and had a new Vision in my hands as soon as they came out. Man, I really loved that detector, except for one thing. I was living in Anchorage, Alaska at the time, and all the parks and schools have buried power lines. The Vision went nuts everywhere I wanted to hunt. So I sold it. Then I got a V3i hoping it would be better. No go. Even tried a third just before I left Alaska, and still too many EMI issues.

Now I am in Reno, still have my DFX. I have another V3i on the way now, hoping I will have better luck with it around Reno. The features and programability really appeal to me, but so far my old reliable DFX has worked out better for me. Which is funny as the DFX was not exactly noted for doing well around EMI but compared to my past V units it is way better in that regard.

I will report back here in maybe a week after I take my new V3i for a spin along with my DFX.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with the new V Steve. The only time I have EMI problems with mine is when I'm under the large transmission lines here in Cincinnati. At least it doesn't have the EMI problems my ATPro has near powerful wireless security systems and networks at the schools. I have a couple schools that I can only use the V3i at because of the interference.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They have Stealth fighters based in Anchorage and there is some really crazy EMI going on associated with them that power lines may be picking up on. Anyway, I am crossing my fingers as I am a White's fan from way back and I really want the V3i to work for me.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I started really tweaking the filters and adjustments for EMI I do a master restart on my V3i (pull the battery). This has often cleaned up most EMI issues after having adjusted the filters & settings. This of course may be all in my mind that it was actually helping.

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Whites there is no hard reset for the V3i....master reset, yes.

I don't suffer from EMI problems with the detector but do with the wireless headphones.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whenever I started really tweaking the filters and adjustments for EMI I do a hard restart on my V3i (pull the battery). This has often cleaned up most EMI issues after having adjusted the filters & settings. This of course may be all in my mind that it was actually helping.

The 10 band pass ground filter cleans up the most EMI in my area. It does seem to loose a little depth though over the 5 band pass filter. I haven't had to reset, I'm real happy the way it performs.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are Correct. I used the wrong terminology. I understand there is a higher level restart for the V3i that can only be done via Whites customer care.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure...the V3i is now the top of the line for Whites. It's a 3 frequency unit, compared to the DFX's two frequencies. The DFX always transmits in two freq.s. With the V3i you can select which, and how many freq's the unit transmits. That alone makes it superior, but that isn't the only reason. The question to ask your self is this: do you need everything the V3i gives you? I live in the Rockies, and the vast majority of the finds here are not deep. I doubt the V3i would find a single coin the DFX didn't. So, the V3i doesn't offer me much improvement over my DFX. Everybody has different needs, depending on their area, and condition, of operations.
Jim
I was watching the dvd on the DFX and it said that with the DFX you can run at a freq. of 3 or run at the freq. of 15 separately .. And if you want can run both freq. at once...

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run the DFX in 15 kHz only all the time, and am interested in the V3i mainly for running in 22.5 kHz with transmit boost. Looking for gold, as usual.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't stand to use the single frequency on the V3i. I can tell composition of the metal almost every time by the dominant frequency or the combination of multiple frequencies on the spectrograph and I use it to cherry pick the good stuff first before someone else hits the site. Lol

digginintn

Greenie
Sep 21, 2012
Haven't been on here for awhile, so this may be a tad late, but I just noticed the guy saying that the DFX could only be used in dual frequency mode. Did you never go into the pro-options section of the DFX menu? Simply scroll down to multi-freq section to pick whether to run in 3khz, 15khz, dual freq best data or dual freq correlate.
Just saying

OP
OP
J

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Bought my V3Ihp (Wireless headphones} for $1375 with free whites carry case.
The V3I is still in the box since its too cold outside(Poconos}
But hope to use it when it gets warmer out in the Spring,not
like my Old Garrett AT that stayed in the sealed box for over 4 years lol...........JT

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't been on here for awhile, so this may be a tad late, but I just noticed the guy saying that the DFX could only be used in dual frequency mode. Did you never go into the pro-options section of the DFX menu? Simply scroll down to multi-freq section to pick whether to run in 3khz, 15khz, dual freq best data or dual freq correlate.
Just saying
Yes you are right there you can run in 3khz or 15khz alone or pick to run in duel freq.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread