DFX or V3i

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have both the DFX and V3i and love both machines. The graphic display and operator information is fantastic with the V3i. If you like to tweak the settings purchase a V3i, you will not be disappointed. I find my DFX an excellent machine and enjoy using it in the field, with less settings it may appeal to a larger group of people. Both machines have a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, they are basically a turn-on-an go detector.

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
According to John white at kellyco the Dfx was replace by the v3i. The Dfx came out in 1999 and off the market in 2013.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to John white at kellyco the Dfx was replace by the v3i. The Dfx came out in 1999 and off the market in 2013.

Yep, and a lot of machine for the price they are selling for used!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I have both the DFX and V3i and love both machines. The graphic display and operator information is fantastic with the V3i. If you like to tweak the settings purchase a V3i, you will not ibe disappointed. I find my DFX an excellent machine and enjoy using it in the field, with less settings it may appeal to a larger group of people. Both machines have a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, they are basically a turn-on-an go detector.

Don't know the V3I having never owned one. I'm curious to know of its advantages over the DFX. What are the significant advantages to its settings over the DDX? Think I will down load the manual to take a look.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Downloaded the manual. Very interesting. I'm going to enjoy going through this.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the slightly simpler VX3 and I'll say this, they are great machines. Complicated, but great. You'll find yourself tweaking and exploring the machine to figure out the exact perfect setting for every adventure. It will consume you. I know, I know there are stock settings, but almost nobody uses them. The good thing is that you'll learn more about how the machine works and what everything does. After a couple of months, you'll be a walking encyclopedia of metal detecting knowledge.

The weight issue has already been mentioned. They're heavy if you swing for long periods. Even for healthy folks and if you have back issues, much worse. I'll add lack of waterproofing to the negatives for this unit as well. C'mon Whites, make your detectors waterproof!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

As "Juice in the hole" stated, after learning (really learning) the DFX and V3i will give you a better understanding of the detector settings and how the interact with each other. I believe this is very useful.

Regards,

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have the slightly simpler VX3 and I'll say this, they are great machines. Complicated, but great. You'll find yourself tweaking and exploring the machine to figure out the exact perfect setting for every adventure. It will consume you. I know, I know there are stock settings, but almost nobody uses them. The good thing is that you'll learn more about how the machine works and what everything does. After a couple of months, you'll be a walking encyclopedia of metal detecting knowledge.

The weight issue has already been mentioned. They're heavy if you swing for long periods. Even for healthy folks and if you have back issues, much worse. I'll add lack of waterproofing to the negatives for this unit as well. C'mon Whites, make your detectors waterproof!

The weight? I'm 62 now and hunted from 10am until 6pm yesterday, with a lunch break included. Swinging my V3i never bothered me, nor has it bothered me over 4 years of using it. I have hunted many, many 7 hour days over that time. I guess I am blessed.

My "dogs do get to bark" near the end. That ain't due to a 3 pound detector.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a V3i try one of the custom programs with a correlate setup. They are good performers I have found!!!

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't been on here for awhile, so this may be a tad late, but I just noticed the guy saying that the DFX could only be used in dual frequency mode. Did you never go into the pro-options section of the DFX menu? Simply scroll down to multi-freq section to pick whether to run in 3khz, 15khz, dual freq best data or dual freq correlate.
Just saying

The DFX always transmits on both frequencies. When you select single frequency then you are just telling it which frequency information you want to get. With the V3i you can actually transmit single frequency. Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread