All Treasure Hunting

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your MXT can't be upgraded to the Pro. If you want a pro you'll have to buy a Pro. Sorry for the news. The good news is that all MXT's get the same depth with the same coils, ignoring manufacturing tolerances so they should all be equal but there are always variables in manufacturing so it's possible for one MXT to go slightly deeper than another, but I wouldn't buy another MXT on the hopes it might be deeper because it could just as easily not be as deep.

Last edited:
OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I've only hunted with the MXT now for three days and started thinking if only if I purchased a Pro that I would get more depth. The MXT came with the 6x10 DD coil and while detecting I feel I should be getting hits on deeper coins. The deepest coin I have dug was no more the 4 - 5 inches.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the coins are not deep there, you won't get the hits. Just because you have not dug a deep coin does not mean the detector is not deep, especially after three days. Was the AT Pro finding deeper coins in the same area? Have you tried testing depth with a test garden?

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari, the area I am hunting with the MXT is the same area that I have been hunting with the AT Pro. Since It's been awhile since I have been finding silver, I purchased the MXT to find the coins that were out of reach with the AT Pro. Maybe the AT Pro had been going deeper than I expected, or the MXT does not go as deep. Maybe a coil change will work better, but at the moment the 6x10 DD is the only one I have.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari, the area I am hunting with the MXT is the same area that I have been hunting with the AT Pro. Since It's been awhile since I have been finding silver, I purchased the MXT to find the coins that were out of reach with the AT Pro. Maybe the AT Pro had been going deeper than I expected, or the MXT does not go as deep. Maybe a coil change will work better, but at the moment the 6x10 DD is the only one I have.

OK. I understand. But a couple of things to consider. First, the MXT (I just got one myself, but the all pro model) is not overly complicated but it does require some tweaking. Look at what others here have posted regarding optimal modes, etc. (e.g., a lot of folks use relic mode vice coin & jewelry for coin hunting, at least with the pro, so some of that may also apply to the tracker). Bottom line, don't expect to have mastered the MXT and its modes and secrets after just three days. Part of the perceived depth problem may be the fact that you have not fully unlocked the machine's potential. It's taken me a year to get used to one of my machines to the point I could really take advantage of its advanced modes to consistently find high value targets even though I was able to find coins on day one. Second, to get an idea of the machine's depth potential, it really pays to take the time to build a test garden (not just air test) to see how it does under real world conditions with typical targets at varying depth. Regardless, the MXT line is legendary. You don't need the pro or all pro model to attain more depth capability. A larger coil could help a little, but the coil you have should snag targets greater than 4 - 5 inches. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari, you are right on all points stated. I defiantly need to be more patient and not to expect to know the MXT like I do the AT Pro. With that being said, I will continue hunting and learning the MXT with the 6x10 DD coil.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil you want for good depth would be the D2 or the ultimate 13 coil, also I always try and run at +2 gain for more depth just make sure there's not too much noise so you can hear those deep whisper targets. If your in a high EMI area you might not be able to run at +2 gain without too much noise to hear those whisper targets as good and have to back down a bit, make sure the threshold is barely audible and a good set of headphones is a must for the really deep whisper targets. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wingmaster, in your opinion who makes a good pair of headphones? Also, what program are you running in +2 gain?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
04Jeep,
On the White's Blog you will be able to find specialized program's for various types of targets for the MXT, it will take some searching but they are there.
Headphones, I have a pair of Killer Bees and they work quite well but they are a classic wired set and the cord will always get in the way. I purchased a set of the wireless TDK "Clear Technology" headphones and they are amazing! However, most any headphone will serve you well as they block out most of the noise around you enabling you to hear the faint sounds that are lost in noisy areas, even wind will wash out some of those sounds. Without the wires nothing snags on bushes, park benches, etc. but the wireless types are mostly made of plastic so care must be taken when using them, storing them, etc as they can be broken much more easily than most wired headsets. Carry wireless headsets in a sturdy plastic food storage container. Best of success................63bkpkr

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr, I do have a pair of Calrad headphones that came with my detector, not sure how they rate to yours in performance. I never hunt without them or would I want to hunt without headphones on.

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeep, I use Jolly Rogers, they are very good and not too heavy. As for the MXT, the Pro is identical in performance as the plain Jane MXT, the only difference is a couple added features (Tone ID and Ground Grab). Your depth "problem" is with the coil. The White's 6x10 coil is excellent for separation and stability, but it is not a very deep coil, goes maybe 6-7" on coins in good soil. I use an Ultimate 13 and a Detech 10x12 SEF for when I looking for maximum depth. Even the White's 9" Spider concentric ought to give you a lot more depth, 2 to 3 inches more, than the 6x10. The MXT is an excellent machine and ought to go deeper than your AT Pro with the right coil. Good luck!

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wayfarer, I hunt parks, schools, fields, etc. some with lots of trash some not so much. Out of all the coils you use, would you be able to recommend one that would be a good fit for me? I'm not really sure what coil to get. Used a friends 10" D2 for only about 1/2 hour on my MXT so could not tell for sure weather I liked it or not.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of good headphones but I'm using the koss that White's used to carry which are pretty good and was the White's high end ones, the cheap ones White's carried wasn't good enough to hear those real faint whisper targets. I run in relic mode trigger forward +2 gain most of the time, the relic mode gives a tad more depth. You should be able to run the 6x10DD pretty hot for a little extra depth but one of the coils I mentioned earlier would be better as far as depth goes. I've heard the jolly roger headphones are a good set but usually the ones that come bundled with a detector are not good quality. HH

Last edited:
OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wingmaster, the relic mode trigger forward and gain anywhere from 10 to +2 is what I been running also. I know you mentioned the 10" D2 and the ultimate 13" coils, but do you have any input on any of the SEF coils in the same size?

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning to wingmaster, Wayfarer, 63bkpbr, vferrari and Tom Slick. I want to thank you all for your time and input in helping me with my MXT concerns. I just wanted you all to know about my shopping spree on EBAY last night. The goodies should be here Monday. First I ordered a rechargeable NiCad battery and charger. Secondly, I ordered a pair of Killer B Headphones and adapter so I can also use these on my Garrett AT PRO and last I ordered the ultimate 13" coil. If the headphones and coil fail to increase my silver count, I know I should at least, look like I know what I'm doing.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assuming your machine is set up properly, ground balanced, etc., then the 'all metal' mode would be the deepest functioning setting on the MXT or any other VLF machine. Any mode that includes discrimination affects depth and I would assume that the 'coin & jewelry mode' includes some discrimination. If the 'relic' mode is the 'all metal' mode on your machine then thats the place you want to be if you a looking for maximum depth.

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
foiler, I suppose when I run wide open like you mentioned for depth, when I'm specifically looking for deep silver I need to ignore the signals I don't want, to maintain the depth I'm seeking. I'm I correct in thinking this way?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I do when park detecting is only listen for those deep whisper targets to bypass digging the clad and junk which wastes time, the old wheats will come up like dimes when they get that deep but you know your in the right time period for silver. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread