MX Sport Trouble

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a MX Sport a few weeks ago, went to the river and it leaked with in minutes of being in the water. Whites sent me a new one and I took it to the river today and it leaked after about 30 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem. Both times I was in knee deep to waist deep water. The detector seems to work good on land but I wanted one I could use in the water to.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where was the leak? Battery compartment? Control box? Regardless, does not sound good. But would be nice to know if it leaked in the same way twice.

OP
OP

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
both times the battery compartment was dry. I first noticed a muffled threshold then the I.D. numbers go crazy and the screen fogs and the detector dies.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Look for cracks in the corners of the faceplate, many units seem to have them.
As for other issues with this thing there are many and they are not really being fixed as of yet.
Many are hopeful that the fabled White's service will come through...eventually, but right now the chances of shipping bad units to the factory and getting a good working one sent back are not exactly great at this point according to many that already have like you.

This place is talking about it now.

You can try it again but if you are paying for shipping back I would think on that for now.
Don't know what might happen.
Check into this and other forums for updates on exactly when the good ones, actual good working units, finally seem to be in the pipeline.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I will call Whites tomorrow and see If they will ship me a third one or maybe I can just get a refund and go with a different detector. Why would they keep sending detectors with brittle plastic problems out , knowing the results will be the same.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Refund seems to be the preferred route to take until the situation gets better this year.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks for the info. I will call Whites tomorrow and see If they will ship me a third one or maybe I can just get a refund and go with a different detector. Why would they keep sending detectors with brittle plastic problems out , knowing the results will be the same.

Well, that's the rub.
Right now there are many long time, loyal to a fault customers that are totally baffled at a the hoopla surrounding this unit...and very upset and disappointed.
Not to mention a few dealers that won't sell this model right now because they have a conscious and care about their customers and evidently a few more that are selling them but do not know about the issues and were never alerted by the company.
Their customers had to tell them and point them out to the huge bad buzz going on about this thing on most of the forums.
All the forums except the White's forum that is...on that one they are acknowledging they do have issues and stated they are working to fix problems but their attitude seems to be this is all no big deal, it is business as usual and a very small problem because the bulk of the units already sold are perfect and most of their customers are very happy.
Looking at what is happening this seems to be far from the truth because words like lemon, debacle, total recall and total refunds are being used all over the place in most forums at present.
Many dealers and customers and even a few very respected heavy hitters with experience that know how a good working unit was supposed to perform according to the specs and stated features got one, immediately noticed some major issues in performance, watched the company deny there were problems that were obvious to all of these experienced detectorists then when they finally admitted there were issues and came out with a firmware fix at the end of March noticed posts about way too many customers who sent them in and what they reported they got in return was just as bad if not worse
That was mostly just about the firmware and performance, this thing with the cracked faceplates is relatively new and the drowning thing is just starting to be noticed because most that got one haven't taken it into the water yet and some that wanted to haven't taken the chance because of those cracks.

Right now there is much confusion about exactly what is in the new boxes in dealer's stock, which units being shipped back and forth have the new update fix and exactly how many have these cracks because it now appears there are a lot of them starting to show up.
Do dealers break the seal, open the boxes to check these out for firmware updates and cracks before selling them which many don't want to do because they might be then considered used or deal with the problem in other ways suggested by the company one of which was telling them to sell their stock unopened and hope for the best and let their customers deal with the fallout.
At least one dealer was shocked that this rout was even suggested, written down in actual words in letters or e mails that can come back and haunt them.
With their reputation on the line most dealers would rather not take this path and option.

After reading about all this for awhile in several threads on many forums it appears to me, and keep in mind I am not a dealer and have never had any experience with this unit as of now myself, that it seems obvious that the company really does not know which units are bad or which are good in their own stock or exactly what they have already sent out to dealers or worse, they are sending out existing stock to customers that have sent them in like you, not caring or checking out what is being sent back as a replacement and hoping that most of them are being bought by clueless new detectorists that don't know they are not working correctly because they have nothing to compare them to in their limited experience and will just keep them so many that do have problems will never be returned or will have a need to be dealt with ever in the future.

I didn't come up with this theory out of nowhere, there are enough reports of owners sending in 2-3 or even more units back and receiving units with the same or even more problems in return.

Plus there is this which is posted on the White's forum by the super moderator representative of the company...

"We have updated the Sport firmware to address a concern related to audio on targets in close proximity. In some programs closely spaced targets will lock on as one long tone. This issue has been addressed and the resulting audio now sounds off for each target separately.

While the update will be especially helpful to experienced users, the current version's long-tone "lock-on" audio may be preferable for some users. Updating is at the user's discretion."

This is shocking to me since this specific problem they are addressing is not going to be an advantage to any user of any experience level in any way, shape or form.
I sincerely feel sorry for the clueless types which the company seems to be saying exist out there that would actually prefer to use a unit that behaves this way over one that works the way it was supposedly designed to do.

You might have had this specific problem yourself and didn't know it on both your units but considering they were both drowned before you understood and realized this if you had it now you will now never know.

If it were me I would be directing all my effort into getting a refund and then wait it out.
This would be a great addition to the marketplace with feature and benefits galore if they can get the thing corrected and working up to quality and performance levels it was actually designed to be.
Many brands have had issues with new units upon rollout so this is not exactly unheard of in the industry but all those companies eventually addressed all the issues fully and satisfied their customer base.
That is what everyone is waiting for to happen right now, the old time highly regarded White's customer service to return, clean up the mess and get this thing working right and out there to the many that have high hopes for its eventual success.
Many loyal dealers and longtime customers have stated because of their past history they know for sure White's will step up and get it done, no question.
Most others are hoping they are right but at this minute as we speak it seems to be a waiting game to see if this becomes a reality.

Last edited:

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned mine for a refund, didn't want to keep shipping it back and forth. Maybe in a few years I'll get another because it worked pretty good for the couple days it worked.

OP
OP

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its time to consider the CTX , if not for the difference in price I would have went with it to start with. Guess you get what you pay for.

OP
OP

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called Whites today, said they were just days away from having the problem solved. They could send me another out then or they would refund my money. Im leaning toward the refund and putting it toward a used CTX. Seems to me if they do actually solve the problem in the next few days it will take six months to a year to know for sure.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few days? I was told it there were no more problems a few months ago.

Sneakyweasel

Greenie
Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed, having had the firmware update done already. Kinda suspect that there might be another update in future to address the poor pinpoint performance and the modulation issues. Have already had the detector underwater 5 times with no issues.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed, having had the firmware update done already. Kinda suspect that there might be another update in future to address the poor pinpoint performance and the modulation issues. Have already had the detector underwater 5 times with no issues.

Underwater, that seems to be the direction this company is headed unless they get a handle on things.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Called Whites today, said they were just days away from having the problem solved. They could send me another out then or they would refund my money. Im leaning toward the refund and putting it toward a used CTX. Seems to me if they do actually solve the problem in the next few days it will take six months to a year to know for sure.

THE problem?
A few days away?

There is a saying about a certain river in Egypt....

tboykin

Greenie
Jan 12, 2016
Sweet Home, OR
Detector(s) used
MXT,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwater, that seems to be the direction this company is headed unless they get a handle on things.

B5BSVqH.png

In all seriousness - we are working to rectify the problem instead of ignoring it. That's part of our commitment to our customers. That's what a good company will do when they make a mistake - do everything in their power to fix it.

White's is IP68 certified. We won't test that by ignoring our customers, the fact that we are addressing the issues noted by a few unhappy customers should be evidence of that.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's is IP68 certified. That is a great certification for a factory, some products probably could use that grade also.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread