best way to wrap coil wire

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
The only advantage I know of for wrapping it bunched together half way is when you want to change coils, you can slide it all the way off instead of having to unwrap it from the shaft. Quicker and easier.

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
I was told to rap it tight and as close to the top as possible because the wire could cause false singles if it has too much down by the coil.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I always flip the coil up against the rod and velcro the cable to the rod at that point. This makes a small loop with the cable just above the coil when in normal positon. That way if the loop gets caught on a bush or corn stalk root, it won't stress the cable.

The rest of the cable I would wind higher up above the cam lock and velcro there too.

I sold White's machines for 10 years and I set all of them up this way.

Burt

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
ok i was just wondering if it would give the coil a boost if you wrapped it tight in one spot like a transformer for the signal
or would it decrease

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always flip the coil up against the rod and velcro the cable to the rod at that point. This makes a small loop with the cable just above the coil when in normal positon. That way if the loop gets caught on a bush or corn stalk root, it won't stress the cable.

I tape the coil wire with a loop at the bottom of the shaft and wind it not to tight the rest of the way up.

All my water machines are hip mounted except the Excal I take diving. With the wading detectors I put the loop in the bottom near the coil like for land units, but I run the wire up one side of the shaft and tape it in place up to the handle where it then hangs loose to the controls. This serves two purposes, it gives the shaft less water resistance moving it back an forth, and it also provides more cable length than if it was wrapped around the shaft.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I just leave a bit of slack at the coil (to fold the coil) and slack at the control box then wrap and velcro in the middle. That way there's no strain on the cable at either end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread