Gold Panning in WI....where?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
not really sure, look on the gpaa site, im sure there must be some, im going to be looking around Marquette county in Mi., ive seen some in the streams with the heavy spring run off, usually located in the magnitite[ black sands], bought some pans 2 yrs ago, went out ounce im the spring, the water was pretty cold, then spent all my time detecting, buying a sluice box next week, going to spend some time at it this summer, my buddy met a couple, that come up every summer from az. and make enough for there trip up and to stay the summer

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm completly new to this....gpaa?

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i point you towards to creeks that were know many years ago to have produced gold. if you take me with an show me how to pan!! my great grand father used to pan enough to pay his taxes. acording to family story. i know there was a small gold mine in the one area an the other one i just know where the creek is an the name of it.

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
You live near Milwaukee? There is flour gold in virtually every river around you. It is nearly microscopic and you probably wouldn't even notice it if you weren't looking for ridiculously small specks. Every place the glaciers went in Wi you will find some gold. There is a GPAA chapter that meets in Greenbush (up by Sheboygan) on the second Saturday of the month at 3:00 pm at the only church in town. Come to the meeting and you will meet all sorts of people, some who live close to you, who will help you find WI gold.

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EggyOG said:
You live near Milwaukee? There is flour gold in virtually every river around you. It is nearly microscopic and you probably wouldn't even notice it if you weren't looking for ridiculously small specks. Every place the glaciers went in Wi you will find some gold. There is a GPAA chapter that meets in Greenbush (up by Sheboygan) on the second Saturday of the month at 3:00 pm at the only church in town. Come to the meeting and you will meet all sorts of people, some who live close to you, who will help you find WI gold.

Just re-read this and noticed the meeting time. I wish i could make one of these meetings unfortunatly im stuck at work until 5pm at the earliest on Sat.

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Josh,

I went to Plum Creek in the Rock Elm area. I went there because of a meteorite strike a looooooong time ago. I took a pan with me, and sure enough I found gold. Mostly flour, but one small nugget just barely big enough to roll in my fingers. (Confirmed by the Park Ranger.) Remind me the next time we're on a hunt together.

TimC

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought u couldnt dig in the waters there due to the fishery or something like that over there.....otherwise i woulda tried it. We should go sometime if u want?

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going there would be fine, Josh. It's a State, or County Park. I don't remember which. Recreational panning is allowed. The ranger even hade a vile with gold in it.

It's not a day trip though, maybe a weekender, or in your case a trip up... pm panning... am panning.... and trip back. It would take some planning.

TimC

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Rice Lake Chapter, (Rice Lake, WI)

Email:
Phone:()

Tomah Chapter huntforgems.com/gpaatomahwi
Mike Flint
Email: [email protected]
Phone:(608) 372 0694
Meets 3rd Saturday every month at 11:00 AM. Tomah Boys & Girls Club

Greenbush Chapter (Greenbush, WI)
Ronald Smith
Email: [email protected]
Phone:(920) 892-4092
Meets 2nd Saturday Monthly at 3:00 PM, New Hope United Methodist Church (Fellowship Hall) W 7797 Center St, Greenbush

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TimC said:
Going there would be fine, Josh. It's a State, or County Park. I don't remember which. Recreational panning is allowed. The ranger even hade a vile with gold in it.

It's not a day trip though, maybe a weekender, or in your case a trip up... pm panning... am panning.... and trip back. It would take some planning.

TimC

I might have to buy a pan and drive there early early morning (start out 4am) Get there at sun-up......leave at about 6pm. Unfortunatly i doubt the wife will let me stay overnight =(. We havnt spent a single night apart in 2 years

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
alpha105 said:
TimC said:

TimC

I might have to buy a pan and drive there early early morning (start out 4am) Get there at sun-up......leave at about 6pm. Unfortunatly i doubt the wife will let me stay overnight =(. We havnt spent a single night apart in 2 years
Ahh, you're still in love.... give it a few more years... she'll be saying, "Go, go. Get out of my hair!" Just kidding, ha ha. Did you say it was going to be a boy or girl? I forgot. TTC

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Girl......due the end of next month =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread