Activity seems sparse in the Wyoming forum LOL.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do some research for the both of you if you wish? Would you prefer I send you private messages on certain sites, or here in this forum? I will try as soon as I can, but it is somewhat distracting when you have two toddlers to babysit for the next three days. But let me know and I will start researching for both of you.

Scott in WY

Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old digger

Any help would be welcome, I did nugget shooting in AK, but the coin/treasure/relic hunting is all new to me.

I've been in the treasure sign forum the last 24 hrs and that stuff makes me want to hit the hills.

If you do have any leads, PM's would be fine.

Scott

OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the offer Old Digger. I would always be up for research. I am willing to travel anywhere in Wyoming, so anything in the state would be of interest to me.

I am located in Casper, so things closer would be easier. That said, I travel all over the state all of the time, so anything is possible.

PM or the forum here seems to be a good place to get a hold of me. If it was here, maybe we would scare up some more Wyoming MDers. Doubtful, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

WM

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay WM,

Converse County:
The site of Fort Fetterman is on the south bank of the North Platte River a few miles north of Douglas. Across the river and seven miles to the north of the fort was the Hog Ranch. The Hog Ranch was the local name for the saloons, brothels, dance halls, and gambling houses. To this place came solders, cowhands, trailhands and others to spend their pay.
When Fort Fetterman was abandoned in 1882, the Hog Ranch was aquired by Jack Saunders and Jim Lawrence. They operated it until 1886 when Saunders was killed in a fight with Billy Bacon. It is said that Saunders regularly buried his share of the income, but it has never been found.

Soon after the Civil War, a band of outlaws held up an army paymaster on his way to Fort Fettermanth, then fled into the mountains south of Glenrock. The paymaster's chest contained $4o,ooo. The robbers were tracked down by a cavalry detachment. In the ensuing fight all the robbers were killed. Before his death, one of the outlaws declared that the gang had ridden far up Deer Creek and made camp near a cave where they cached the $40,000. Many caves in the Glenrock area have been searched, but the robber's loot is still where they buried it.

Natrona County:

Atop Casper Mountain about 10 miles from Casper (Interstate 25) are the ruins of Old Eadsville. The 20 acre site, was planned as a town by Charles W. Eads in 1890. It developed rapidly when gold, silver, lead, copper and asbestos mines opened in all directions from the town. Eadsville continued to grow in population and wealth until a mill report showed the ores to be too low in value to justify the cost of minning and transportation. The town was emptied almost immediately. Only the logs of a few tumbled cabins remain today.

Not far from Casper is the site of the Battle of Red Buttes on July 26, 1865. Here three army wagons were attacked by an overwhelming number of Indians, all but two of the solders were killed.

Will add more.

OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting.

I have spent a lot of time up Deer creek and have some contacts of the land owners up there.

The Eadsville is a little harder. I have been aware of and seen a number of photos from Eadsville. Apparently it used to be a city of 5K+ people. It currently sits on private property and despite all of my contacts, I have been unable to accurately identify the owner. I have a few of the resident sheriff deputies asking around, but I hope to access the site this year.

My family owns a bunch of land down the road which is where an old asbestos mine was. We have the old mining camp on site as well as some trappers cabins from the 30s. I plan on hitting this are hard over the summer. It is easy access and only a few minutes from town.

Thanks for the info. I will make some calls on the Deer Creek and see what I can nail down.

WM

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WM, go to the County office and give them the property info and they should tell you who is the owner, and who is paying the taxes on it. This is public information.

Scott in WY

Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm. post went missing...

Anywho...
Wyomedic
I saw your pics in the dowsing forum, If you want some company to hunt that area after green up let me know.

Scott

OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do. It will be some time until we can get into there, but I think it holds a lot of promise.

BTW, just above here in one of the introduction forums, a feller named Robert from Casper just said hello. Looks like Wyoming is jumping with MDers LOL.

WM

OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And another feller contacted me the other day from Lovell. Wapityhunter is his name. I don't know much about him but it sounds like he is very new.

So, for 97K square miles, there are 4 of us. We each have to stick to 23ish thousand square miles and we should be fine. I'm even willing to chop off a few thousand miles for Old Digger to have some fun here. I don't consider other states to have the same attitude/persona that Wyoming has, but Montana's is so close. It is about the only other state (aside from AK) that I don't despise in one way or another.

I'll get started here. Now to get the snow away from the cabin.

Cabin.jpg

Scott in WY

Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the motion...I will gladly share the northern 20% of the bighorn basin, the bighorn range, and from Sheridan north with Old Digger anytime he would like to use it. :thumbsup:

Scott

Scott in WY

Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ya know how others on the forum make a big deal about threads getting to 1000 posts.
I think we should show them how we do things just I little better here in Wy and take this thread to 2000 posts.

Scott

OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, That could take some years. If we keep at our current rate of about 25 every week, after a year we would be at 1300.

They would probably boot us long before that.

WM

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for including me in, fact is I frequent the northern Big Horn Basin. I travel through Lovell often on my way to fish on the lake north of Lovell. I also used to drive every day from Billings to Thermopolis, but am now retired. You can take so many years of driving the same route before it takes a toll on you.
You guys may want to get a hold of Thomas Penfield's book ''A Guide To Treasure in Montana-Wyoming'' It has the stories that I have already shared with you plus others.

Wyoming Prospector

Feb 14, 2013
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi fellow Wyoming MDers. I just joined yesterday so yes I am new. I have been prospecting for mostly gold for quite a while, close to 12 years. I am new to MDing however. I have only been detecting for a couple of years. I have a older garret detector. Looking to upgrade to a Minelab (depending on if my wife okays it). I do know of a ton of great spots to detect in the state though. It's funny you are all talking about the Big Horns, because the other day I was thinking about the "lost cabin gold mine" or sometimes referred to as the "lost swede gold mine" the mine was lost and could never be re located after a Indian attack. In just three days seven miners got $10,000 in gold back in I believe 1963.

OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello WP.

Yes, the legend lives on. Although, I believe it was prior to 1963 by a few years ;)

What part of Wyoming are you in? Are you from here or a transplant?

I myself was born and raised right here in Casper. We have some other folks who have come along from different places and ended up in various parts of the state.

WM

Wyoming Prospector

Feb 14, 2013
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the legend does live on and my bad that was back in 1863 :) I live in Afton near the Wyoming Idaho border. I am a fourth generation Wyoming native. So lucky for me I know a lot about the history of Western WY, especially in my direct area. works out real good for treasure hunting. I have been all over the state to variousness locations, and just love Wyoming....well I am not as fond of winter as much as I used to be, but other than that I can't say anything bad about being from or living in WY. I will live here till the day I die.

OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, an interesting day.

I had to make an emergency run to Sheridan where I manage all of the law enforcement 2way radios in the county.

After the 10 minute fix :tongue3: I got to talkin' to one of the PD brass who is a friend of mine. He has lived in Sheridan his whole life, so I asked him for some metal detecting areas.

He gave me the location of an old mining town around Acme that is on public land.

He also told me about the ghost town of "Bald Mtn" which is also on public land and in the Bighorns. Now, I also do the radios for the forest service LEOs in the area, so I will see if I can get the letter of the law when it comes to MDing in the area.

Looks like more neat areas to keep in mind.

WM

Scott in WY

Jan 4, 2013
Worland
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey WP welcome!

Well looks like we are down to under 20k sq miles each.

Wyomedic, I've been looking at a trip to bald mtn.

last summer I picked up a book from the museum here titled "rediscovering the bighorns"
It seem that, John Georg Jack, took a walkabout through the Bighorns in 1900 with his camera.

lots of photos from 1900 then in 1976, a group "followed is footsteps" and took photos from as close to the original spots as they could find, and there are maps!!

It has the locations of:

The Fortunatus mine mill building.
Bald Mtn city.
Penrose cabin penrose peak
Sawmill of McShane lumber co at Black Mnt

It's going to be a busy summer:thumbsup:

Scott
AL7XT

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I see your old address on AK.

I am a super active ham here in Casper. If you could get into the 805 machine on copper, we could chat.

WM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread