$0.50 clad, and an old Historical Mystery SOLVED!

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I went back to the B-Y Park again today, same place I found the brass carburetor. This park is about 3 acres, and is old and heavily used. I found 1 quarter, 1 dime, and 15 pennies in 1 1/2 hrs, but I DIDN'T find a bunch of junk- I'm getting better!

The best thing that happened was one of our council members stopped by to repair the emergency phone at the restroom, and I stopped to chat. He's had a Kellyco MD for years, but never uses it. He was explaining why there was so much dirt dug up recently. They were replacing the water lines, and wanted to find this old iron pipe that was laid for the steam locomotives to fill up. This place has always been called the B-Y Park, but nobody knew why. Even in the 75th Anniversary Yearbook (1979) they weren't sure what B-Y stood for. The locals always assumed it had something to do with the Blackburn family, since Blackburn Road is only 100 yards from the park. Turns out, the entire park used to be a Back-up Yard for the railroad! They filled in a small valley and cut part of the creek off, creating the pond, and used the flat area to back the coal trains in. Frank (the council guy) discovered it when he was helping research the area so they could dig. They dug up the end of the iron pipe, and ran the new water line through it.
A very old local mystery is solved!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's what makes Detecting even Better.

Solving Mysteries