02/16/12 - Dimes (3 boxes) - Keepers! + Possible Error?

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all,

So this week I decided to up my boxes from 2 to 3. Went to the bank the next town over that's been yielding silver dimes and chatted up the teller about the noon time air raid siren that went off just as I was entering (Loud), and about the horse poop in the road just outside the bank a little before asking for 3 boxes of dimes. She goes back to the vault and brings back three boxes. But I notice something odd. Two are S&S boxes, one is a Brinks box. So I mention never seeing a brinks box before there. And she told me they don't control what they get. I'm thought that odd. Anyways, I asked for a S&S one instead of the Brinks. Glad I did. All three boxes yielded some silver. And while date checking a possible in the third box, it instead looks to be some kind of error maybe? (Pic Below)

This weeks finds:

Box 1
1 - 1964D Roosevelt

Box 2 (Replaced the Brinks one I sent back)
1 - 1947S Roosevelt
1 - 1963D Roosevelt swimming in coffee :P

Box 3
1 - 1963 Roosevelt
1 - 1991P Roosevelt with a neck tumor? :P

The possible error is a lump at the neck line of roosevelt. Just above the 99. In fact the 99 and the P are angled up slightly on the edge of the lump. The back is perfectly flat with no indentation at all so it doesn't appear post mint damage. Any thoughts? I tried to get a good scan of it but it's hard to see somewhat at a straight on look.

Attachments

• dimes.jpeg
    dimes.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 475
  • dimeerr.jpeg
    dimeerr.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kamyu

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah, it's a leftover from decades ago. They use it to signal that it's Noon for whatever reason.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
Why would the air raid siren go off. Did the war with Iran start today?

LOL, Where I live every Saturday at noon they test the Tornado sirens.

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Kamyu said:
Hey all,

So this week I decided to up my boxes from 2 to 3. Went to the bank the next town over that's been yielding silver dimes and chatted up the teller about the noon time air raid siren that went off just as I was entering (Loud), and about the horse poop in the road just outside the bank a little before asking for 3 boxes of dimes. She goes back to the vault and brings back three boxes. But I notice something odd. Two are S&S boxes, one is a Brinks box. So I mention never seeing a brinks box before there. And she told me they don't control what they get. I'm thought that odd. Anyways, I asked for a S&S one instead of the Brinks. Glad I did. All three boxes yielded some silver. And while date checking a possible in the third box, it instead looks to be some kind of error maybe? (Pic Below)

This weeks finds:

Box 1
1 - 1964D Roosevelt

Box 2 (Replaced the Brinks one I sent back)
1 - 1947S Roosevelt
1 - 1963D Roosevelt swimming in coffee :P

Box 3
1 - 1963 Roosevelt
1 - 1991P Roosevelt with a neck tumor? :P

The possible error is a lump at the neck line of roosevelt. Just above the 99. In fact the 99 and the P are angled up slightly on the edge of the lump. The back is perfectly flat with no indentation at all so it doesn't appear post mint damage. Any thoughts? I tried to get a good scan of it but it's hard to see somewhat at a straight on look.

The horse poop reference is classic. Yes, potty humor brings out the inner 10-year-old.

HH,
cuttybce

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be fire/heat damage. Copper melts at a lower temperature than nickel.

OP
OP
Kamyu

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The horse poop was real. There's a horse drawn carriage that people can rent in that town.

As for the dime error, yea, it's pretty beat up. But the lump doesn't appear to be from anything else. Back is perfectly fine. And the lump is flush with the top most of the coin so all I can even remotely think of is there was a indent on the die possibly? I've never seen anything else like it. The date and neck line are perfectly legible. I'd almost think it was post mint if there was a indent on the back but there's not a single mark on the back. Still puzzled over how that lump got there. Edges look like it's part of the coin so don't think another chunk of something got into the dime press.

Any help on this error is appreciated. May have to take it to the local coin shop.

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I am pretty sure it is fire damage. The copper melts first creating a bubble.

OP
OP
Kamyu

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Mmm...Possible.

I'll set it aside as a curiosity then. Seen coins from fires before. First time seen a lump. :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread