03-18-2011 Creek Walk, need help with ID

kypackrat

Greenie
May 6, 2009
Western Kentucky
Hello, Well I finally was able to get out for a couple of hours this morning. I didn't have a whole lot of time to spend so I went to a creek that is about 1 mile from my house. The water was up a bit but still clear so I worked my way up to the closest gravel bar (about 50 yards from the road). I found 2 pieces, one was a uni-face blade about 3 1/2" long.........and then......I had to sit down. At first I thought the base was broke off, but to my surprise it was whole. This is probably one of the best condition points that I have in a real long time......I would love to hear any comments on what type of point this is and what era it might be from. Thanks for looking and I hope on your next hunt you find a killer piece..............Kypackrat

Attachments

• fixed-1.jpg
    fixed-1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 351
  • fixed-2.jpg
    fixed-2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 350
  • fixed-3.jpg
    fixed-3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 348
  • fixed-4.jpg
    fixed-4.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 352
  • fixed-5.jpg
    fixed-5.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 352
  • fixed-6.jpg
    fixed-6.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 354
  • fixed-7.jpg
    fixed-7.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 364
  • fixed-8.jpg
    fixed-8.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking Ashtabula....................Nice finds!!!.................... :icon_thumleft:GTP

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Very nice find!!

It has a hopewell look to it , but the base is a little small. I'm sure one of the experts will be on to I.D. it soon. It is really nice though. How many inches?

Twig.

OP
OP
kypackrat

kypackrat

Greenie
May 6, 2009
Western Kentucky
Thanks for the reply Twig, The point is almost 3 1/2" long. I almost fell in the creek when I first saw it. I live in western Ky and work in Knoxville TN, all of my artifact books are in my apt in TN. I am really curious as to what type it is. It does kind of look like a Ashtabula but I found it in a creek in southern Hancock Co. Kentucky. All the refs say north eastern Ohio or Western Pa. I am about 20 miles away from the Ohio River as well. I seem to find Pinetrees, Adenas, and sone small bifruitaced points mostly with the occasional Dovetail and a couple thebes just curious.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Hello and welcome to Tn. and T net Kypackrat!!! from T model on the central highland rim of Tennessee.. Gtp. and Twig. hate to disagree with you [2] but i think the very nice point Ky. found is a motley, corner notch, 4500-2500 bp....i use projectile point types .com which i think is found on most pc.. T.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Great point. In western KY I'd say that's a Motley point. And an extremely nice piece at that. Well done sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread