Upvote 0

wilycreek

Greenie
May 30, 2009
Bushwacker County MO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: '05 gunflints and points

Love the serrated points. Wish there was gunflints around here (caps don't last to long on the ground). Thanks for posting.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice looking trays of artifacts. That Stemmed Lancelot at the top center is a really nice Point.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

Thanks SRV. I believe the top center point is a Copena. It's not the classic shield shape, but still not uncommon for Copena. It's a somewhat common type in the area where found. When I found it though, with one edge exposed, I thought I had found something very old. Now, I don't believe it's that old.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is there any grinding at all on the base? It sure looks like a classic Ohio Lance type point to me.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

SRV - No grinding. I agree it is more an outline of a paleo lance. And I found it on a very productive multi-component site. It's produced for me Dalton, Kirk, Big Sandy, Dovetail, Benton, Adena, Hopewell, Intrusive Mound, and Madison points. I may be wrong. Next show or meeting I go I'll bring the point and try to collect some other opinions on it. I'm telling you when I found it my heart skipped about 3 beats as I thought it was Paleo, but the flaking, lack of grinding and area found make me think Copena. If I found it further North, out of normal Copena distribution I don't know what I'd call it. As always I appreciate the input.

Thanks,
Joe

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The black serrated point looks like black ryholite. Like the serrated.
Thats a nice lookin frame Twitch.

Molly.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Nice frame of personal finds there Twitch. The centerpiece drill form is killer, what are you typing that piece as?

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

Rose - The black serrated point is Kanawha flint. It's a lower grade from Ohio/WV.

Th3rty7 - I was hoping you'd tell me something about the center point. It base a little basal grinding and some basal thining. I found it in WV. I thought it may be Kessel related. People here in Illinois have told me it's a Neuberger but I don't know. It's one of the 4 or 5 best pieces I've ever found.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Twitch said:
Rose - The black serrated point is Kanawha flint. It's a lower grade from Ohio/WV.

Th3rty7 - I was hoping you'd tell me something about the center point. It base a little basal grinding and some basal thining. I found it in WV. I thought it may be Kessel related. People here in Illinois have told me it's a Neuberger but I don't know. It's one of the 4 or 5 best pieces I've ever found.

I thought some looked like WV stuff. I'd throw Meadowood into the mix as well because of the placement of the notches and general shape of the piece. Just my 2 cents.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SRV said:
Is there any grinding at all on the base? It sure looks like a classic Ohio Lance type point to me.

Could it not be an eastern stemmed lanceolate ? I have one similiar somewhere that I just never could stick an ID on. Nice frames. I would enjoy finding some gun flint.
Is it all imported?
Nice frame,,
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread