050822-BackYard Finds, The Saga Continues....

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
First, I would like to thank all who replied to my previous post about the bullet that I found yesterday. Today, I went out and took another look around until the bulb digger that I was using bent. I am going to have to cut the handle off and remount it before I can continue. I found a few small items though, before it bent on me.

I found a quarter in the area of the old rose garden that the previous owners had. Being that we moved in around 1963 or 1964, I had some hopes but it turned out to be 1965. :( I also found a couple pennies but they turned out to be 1970 and 1977. Then, there was the old key chain that I think came from some indian charity. My dad used to get those things in the mail all the time, along with napkin holders and such. I think they all came from the same place. Anyway, that was a cool childhood memento. Then there was the hit that I got. Was supposed to only be a few inches down but I kept chasing and chasing till I had a 12" deep hole about 8" accross. My brother had told me of an old story about my other brother and a friend who did an experiment on mice for a science fair back in High School. Not knowing what to do with the mice, I guess they put them in a jar and burried them. I kept saying to myself. Don't be a jar of Mice, Don't be a jar of mice.... As I dug, I then used my trusty Bullseye II and got a hit in the bottom of the hole. I brushed away some dirt and saw that I had something rather large. I cleared away around it to find what appears to be a cover to go over a drain pipe. Threaded on the side with a square shaped top for grabbing with a pipe wrench. Then there was the aluminum tube that is in the picture below. Don't know what it is but it is open on one end and sealed on the other. Looks like a cap from something or might have had a cap over it.

050822-BackYard-640.jpg

Got to run for now. I have a couple thoughts about the Bullet that I found yesterday. Will try to post those later.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big cast iron thing on the left is a typical cap for a sewer clean out. Hope you didn't have to unscrew it! Since yoiu dug that deep you most likely missed your original target somewhere toward the top of the hole. That happens to the best of us, although I am certainly not in that best category I would have given up long before you did. I give you credit, you are determined! Good work! JIM

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Good dig'n. WTG!!!
I have to commend you for not giving up until you found what you were dig;n for. Ya just never know until you do, maybe next time it'll be a big old pot of gold... ;D
The tube thingy looks like it might have been a heat shield for an old radio tube, just a guess..
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

R

rusty nails

YEP - its a cleanout plug - for a sewer line or a gas line plug - nice finds - LBP

OP
OP
W

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Pretty sure the cleanout plug was the target. I always recheck the area once I recover an item. To make sure that there wasn't a second, third or more items that I missed. Didn't have to unscrew the cap. It was just there. No pipe anywhere in the area. This was in the middle of our back yard, Well away from the sewers. The utilities all go from the house through the front yard. There are no utilities, alleys, parkways, streets easements... toward the back of the property. It did cross my mind what it was doing there, so deep and away from anything. Had to be junk that was burried from building the house. Maybe that deep from being turned in or further burried when they filled and soded over the rose garden that was here when we moved in.

No other explaination that I can think of.

R

rusty nails

that plug had to be leaking some serious rust deposits - giving some far out signals - i have found all kinds of parts in weird areas - those rust leakers will drive u crazy - ::) LBP

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
wmas1960 said:
I kept saying to myself.? Don't be a jar of Mice, Don't be a jar of mice....?
LOL! Thanks for that... I almost spit out my early morning coffee all over my keyboard! Glad it wasn't the mice...
Ruth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread