08/08 ohio creek/river hunt

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
My girlfriend Shellie and I went on an all day paddling trip in the canoe.We went up the Scioto River to the confluence of the Big Walnut Creek and the Scioto River and then paddled the Big Walnut.My girlfriend is a collector also,I got her hunting last year and she has been hooked since.She doesnt hunt nearly as often as I do but when she does go with me she usually finds something great.tn mts will appreciate this post.lol.This was her first time creek hunting after much convincing on my part(she is worried about snakes)lol. Anyways,she found the killer blade(measures 3 3/4 inches long) on a huge gravel bar rite at where the Big Walnut dumps into the Scioto.After she found it she ran to the canoe to get her phone to take an insitu and on her way back(maybe a hundred feet)she finds a broken celt and it would have been a killer piece if not broke,but still a nice find.I am saying under my breath" you got to be kidding me!!!"I didnt find anything all day!So yes my GF schooled me.I have some ideas on the blade but will comment after I hear some opinions.Hope you enjoy the picks of our floatin trip.

downsize.jpg

0808091934a.jpg

0808091933a.jpg

downsize1.jpg

0808091455.jpg

0808091455a.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection470.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection471.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection473.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection474.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection476.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection478.jpg

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

You've got the life of reilly! Nice, very nice.
And BTW, skip watery excess next time and include a shot of the lithic huntress...

:wink:

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Cappy Z. said:
You've got the life of reilly! Nice, very nice.
And BTW, skip watery excess next time and include a shot of the lithic huntress...

:wink:
thx Cappy Z.I like that "lithic huntress" I will include some pics of her on our next hunting trip.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Greg-Rocks , Finding artifacts or not , .. these "Canoe-Trips" I've read about here, are if nothing else but a a good day spent !! Y'll , back east are fortunate to have such places to spend a day ,,...two ? ,...a week .. ;D !! Anyway nice finds there by Shellie [Lithic Huntress :icon_thumright: ]
I've always have liked the in-situ pic's , but I must say I've been enjoying these uncommon "common-scenery" :icon_scratch: pic's from around are Country .
Thanks for sharing ,.. Blindpig

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard you can put a trolling motor on a canoe and not have to take anyone to help you paddle? No Lithic princess just man and gravel bars. Lol. Man they sure slay us everythime. I am beginning to think that is ok though.

What a great looking water trip. The color of that point is like a copperhead the way it blends in. Great canoe Great trip.How much is missing on the celt
?
Tell Shellie congratulations on her finds. Obviously we know who rocks. Shellie-Rocks !! :headbang:
What a fun looking day.

Regards
TnMtns

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds by Shellie. The blade looks like a classic Cobbs Blade to me, though in the one picture it looks like it has Outre Passe flaking which could mean a Paleo piece. What to think it is Greg?

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your trip.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Nice pics and finds Greg, good luck in finding the other half of that celt. That is one sweet blade, looks like a cobbs or a possible dalton from the pics. Thanks for the show.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Congrats in order for the "Huntress" and yourself for picking such a keen eyed pard.(Texan for partner) :headbang:

Way cool finds. That celt has an unblemished edge maybe make up for the broken other end.

Oh, and Shellie has a better manicure, that is probably the reason she is concerned and doesn't have anything to do with snakes and such. :laughing9: (I raised 3 daughters and have a wife, so I know of these things)

Happy Trails,
BW

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
TnMountains said:
I have heard you can put a trolling motor on a canoe and not have to take anyone to help you paddle? No Lithic princess just man and gravel bars. Lol. Man they sure slay us everythime. I am beginning to think that is ok though.

What a great looking water trip. The color of that point is like a copperhead the way it blends in. Great canoe Great trip.How much is missing on the celt
?
Tell Shellie congratulations on her finds. Obviously we know who rocks. Shellie-Rocks !! :headbang:
What a fun looking day.

Regards
TnMtns
lmao!first of all my planned trip got changed when our person to shuttle us bailed at the last minute,so i was forced to go upstream then downstream not just downstream.and after i got there i realized i forgot to put the new oar i just bought in the truck.so now i am paddling upstream by myself but with a cooler and a girlfriend along for the ride.it wasnt too bad,just not as much relaxing as i wanted.my first canoe ride hunting for artifacts(when i was 9 or 10) was on the ohio river in a canoe with a 10 h.p.outboard on it.lol. i do appreciate just man and gravel bars.lol.The lithics princess is loving all of the comments and says thanks to all.I think maybe an inch to two inches is missing from the celt.that piece does have a copperhead look to it.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
All of you have made the Lithics huntress/princess day.she thanks you all.so i have heard dalton,cobbs and a possible paleo.I have thought all the same as you.when i first laid eyes on it i thought a stanfield with a funky looking base.the hafting area is strange,barely visible notches and you can see where it was sharpened down to about an inch or so from the base bottom,almost giving it a pentagonal look.The base isnt ground very much and was thinned,the base sides are well ground.kind of stumped on this one. :icon_scratch:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Question I've been meaning to ask : Is it made of Paoli /Carter County / Carter Caves (etc.) chert ?

Colors look about right for the vein or outcropping of it that Paleo folks carried points of into Ohio.

Most of it seems to be grey with red and Archaic or later.

(?)

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nice finds Greg, I'm on the Cobbs bandwagon myself. Tell Shellie congratulations, looks like a day well spent!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the picture only shows one paddle :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
I took my indian princess out one night and bought her,, her very own paddle.
Actually I carry 3 just in case one gets away. I know how much she appreciates you paddling her up the creek to find her arrowheads and celts. You are a good guide.
Great post and finds,

TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread