Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich NY said:
GPS is accurate to 20 feet of true coordinates When you mark a waypoint it comes pertty close. So change your distance to 10 feet.

If GPS is accurate to 20 feet, then when you mark a waypoint the recorded coordinates could be 20 feet from the true location. Then, when you try to return to the waypoint, the GPS could put you 20 feet from the recorded location, so you could end up 40 feet from the true location (worse-case scenario, I admit). This would not be a good way to record locations in a 2-acre test.

Rich NY

Apr 7, 2005
Carl; I said true corrdinates. If you mark a waypoint and go back to it you will come very close to it. I've done it a number of times metal detecting. If I find targets in the field I mark them. That way If I have a hot spot I can go back to it. Let,s ask the experts on the GPS forum.

Rich NY

Apr 7, 2005
Car Here is some infomation on GPS.

The Global Positioning System, usually called GPS, is the only fully-functional satellite navigation system. A constellation of more than two dozen GPS satellites broadcasts precise timing signals by radio to GPS receivers, allowing them to accurately determine their location (longitude, latitude, and altitude) in any weather, day or night, anywhere on Earth.

GPS has become a vital global utility, indispensable for modern navigation on land, sea, and air around the world, as well as an important tool for map-making and land surveying. GPS also provides an extremely precise time reference, required for telecommunications and some scientific research, including the study of earthquakes.

The United States Department of Defense developed the system, officially named NAVSTAR GPS (Navigation Signal Timing and Ranging GPS), and launched the first experimental satellite 1978. The satellite constellation is managed by the 50th Space Wing.Although the cost of maintaining the system is approximately US$400 million per year, including the replacement of ageing satellites, GPS is available for free use in civilian applications as a public good.

In late 2005, the first in a series of next-generation GPS satellites was added to the constellation, offering several new capabilities, including a second civilian GPS signal called L2C for enhanced accuracy and reliability. In the coming years, additional next-generation satellites will increase coverage of L2C and add a third and fourth civilian signal to the system, as well as advanced military capabilities.

The Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), available since August 2000, increases the accuracy of GPS signals to within 2 meters (6 ft) [1] for compatible receivers. GPS accuracy can be improved further, to about 1 cm (half an inch) over short distances, using techniques such as Differential GPS (DGPS

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Rich...It all depends on how many satellites you reading at the time you mark the location. Those of us who use these tools regularly find them to be very accurate. If I have 6 satellites for my readings and don't have an error message I am right on the spot....Art

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Dell Winders said:
Since I have $25,000 on the line, it is imperative that I think of every possible loophole that could make me lose my money to a non-dowser. Randi has to be even more careful.

That I've noticed. When there is a chance the challenge can be won by a Dowser, or L-L user, you add a rule to eliminate that possibility.

Most L-L users are non-dowsers, you accept them. Why the hypocricy?

Carl, I'm asking again, DELETE your TNET signature from all your TNET posts. It's a LIE. Dell

Dell, after this statement you can no longer use the phrase "twist-and-turn" when referring to another's post. This line of text was clearly in reference to Carl's statement that if he doesn't define such things as the size of hole that can be dug, then there would be nothing to stop anyone at all from digging the entire 2 acre parcel of land to find all the hidden targets. In fact, Carl already defined this here...
SWR said:
Henry Hartley said:
This Carl fella says he would dig up the hole 2 acre field. Sounds like a guy that is ready to cheat?
Henry

Carl said: "That's what I would do, if offered $1 million with no stated limit on the hole size."

Put your glasses on ::)
and here...
Carl-NC said:
Henry Hartley said:
This Carl fella says he would dig up the hole 2 acre field. Sounds like a guy that is ready to cheat?

Cheating means breaking the rules. If I can negotiate rules that give me a clear advantage, then that's not cheating, it's just taking advantage of someone's ignorance.

Since I have $25,000 on the line, it is imperative that I think of every possible loophole that could make me lose my money to a non-dowser. Randi has to be even more careful.

- Carl

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK on the GPS... 6 feet is still a decent error for such a small field. Point is, these are the little things you have to consider when designing a test. It ain't easy.

- Carl

Rich NY

Apr 7, 2005
Seeing there are 2 people taking part in the test it should not make a difference. Besides 6 feet would be for true coordinates, actual latitude a longitude. But when you mark a waypoint if it is off by 6 feet from the true coordinates it will not make a difference. Because when you go back to the waypoint it is going to have the same reading.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich NY said:
But when you mark a waypoint if it is off by 6 feet from the true coordinates it will not make a difference. Because when you go back to the waypoint it is going to have the same reading.

If that's the case, then it wouldn't be an issue. But my understanding of GPS errors is that they are caused by clock jitter and atmospheric propagation variation, which means that the error could have both a fast and a slow variation to it. I haven't used my GPS enough to test for this.

In any case, this is a minor issue. There are probably several ways we could come up with to mark locations.

- Carl

H

Henry Hartley

I seem to remember that Carl backed out of a simliar open field test a while back. It was discussed on this forum I think. Seems like a much better method since I haven't found much treasure under pie plates lately.
Henry

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
Well, I've been back from our trip a few days. Hurt my knee, wearing a brace. I LRL'ed a gold ring from the yard of the cabin we rented the first morning!!! We panned about 1/2 of an oz of gold, so it was a good trip.
Testing. I can find it quick from a double blind TEST!!! Thats the best I can do, from the Double Blind test we made.
But remember I got reads on the jewelery from all the neighbors bedrooms. That puzzeled me at first untill I figured out why I was getting reads in those directions, I still get those, except the one day when my step mother went to a luncheon and wore her jewerly and I didn't know she was not home, and I did not get a read from her house, then I drove over there and she was gone!

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
You know one day we did it twice, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, Okay I may work on that Idea. Oh, and the other thing, its hard to fiind a area that give you a clear spot to test, a place without any readings of some kind in at least a 120 degree area. Maybe being in Gold Country causes that. I found that ring, trying to find a clear area at the cabin. I took readings close by and way out and found that that one reading disappeared way out, so I walked its directional lines and found where it quit, and checked around it some more, got out the MD, and Beep, dug, and it was there!

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Your right about Gold Country. There is micro gold everywhere. It will take you a lot more time to fully understand what the rods are telling you.....Art

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
Art, Dell, THANKS to both of you. In the menatime I am going to go TREASURE Hunting!!! It only takes a few good reads,
In fact I'm working on a treasure location now, taking readings, I have 3 access points and they cross, and I get the same directional readings 3 days in a row. Thanks Fellows, to all of you!

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
Oh, let me tell yall about this. Before my trip I found an area over a large body of water that I had about a 100 degree radius of NO Targets, so that was a good place to test, then A large sailboat comes by with 4 people in it.... I tracked that sailboat every inch of its journey as it passed by!! (they must have had rings on) Then Tues. after labor day I go back and splap dad in the middle of my clean area is a Target! So i move over 100 feet, and its to my left, walk 200 feet the other way, (100 feet past my 1st read) and get a read to my right! The 3 directional lines cross about 90 feet out in the water just above waist high water. I figure a weekend swimmer lost a ring out there. I put my Gold sample in one foot of water at a different spot and I geta read on it. ALSO I waded out knee deep and got the same reading on the possible gold ring indicated earlier. I know a fellow with a underwater MD, so I've talked with him and on his next outing, we will wade out there and get it!

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
musstag said:
Well, Carls 25K is safe unless, we can spread it out over 5 days, and change locations.

Since you are not a manufacturer, you have to bear the burden (& expense) of travel. Therefore, you are free to suggest whatever time frame you wish. However, for a multi-day test, I will only make myself available for 2 hours or so each day.

Also, you are free to find as many locations as you wish, but you are responsible for securing permission, where needed.

- Carl

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I
haven't been able to figure a reason for this new phenomena, so I don't have a solution. It reacts as though an imprint is being left and remains detectable for the entire day. Right now it's a mystery to me. Dell

I have also been finding that something is different for the past few months...Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread