1,000 coin, 17th century coin cache found in Poland

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
They are just copper coins, but I know my eyes would have lit up if I found this. Most surprising thing to me was that "using a metal detector to search for buried relics without a permit is illegal in Poland". Now, the guy claims that he was using the metal detector to "find spare parts for his sister's tractor". Hmmm... Would you have gone with this story?

A couple of good pics showing the clay container and the coins, many of which have become fused together over the years:

17th-century hoard brimming with 1,000 coins discovered in Poland

Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
They are just copper coins, but I know my eyes would have lit up if I found this. Most surprising thing to me was that "using a metal detector to search for buried relics without a permit is illegal in Poland". Now, the guy claims that he was using the metal detector to "find spare parts for his sister's tractor". Hmmm... Would you have gone with this story?

A couple of good pics showing the clay container and the coins, many of which have become fused together over the years:

17th-century hoard brimming with 1,000 coins discovered in Poland
I wonder if I could use my detector to find parts for my Kawasaki KE125? That’s a great excuse! 😂

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if I could use my detector to find parts for my Kawasaki KE125? That’s a great excuse! 😂
"Was just looking for my car keys that I buried out in the field while drunk last night so I wouldn't accidentally drive and break the law, been searching for those keys for the past 3 months, I swear. Then I found this huge pot of coins by accident, it's a real inconvenience to me actually."

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Almost seems like they are one step away from making you have a license to even own a metal detector. And given government's penchant for laws, it gives new meaning to the letters "DWI"--Detecting While Intoxicated! So if you imbibe, find a friend to be your designated detector...

"Was just looking for my car keys that I buried out in the field while drunk last night so I wouldn't accidentally drive and break the law, been searching for those keys for the past 3 months, I swear. Then I found this huge pot of coins by accident, it's a real inconvenience to me actually."
I knew a glass guy who replaced car windows and windshields for a living. When he tied one on he would put a bat to his own windshield so he wouldn't make the poor decision of driving somewhere after having too many. Then pop one on the next day morning going back to work haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread