1-1/2 hour hunt - Tiny Calif Fractional Gold coin

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello to everyone and happy Memorial Day day weekend to those in the states. Love those 3 day weekends!!!

I took a vacation day today (deserved it, worked 50 hours in the four days this week... busy working that OT... "Own Time"...lol) I took it to do a major project here at home and I ended up working my butt off. I moved in here last Oct and this place had sat unoccupied for 10 months prior to that, so the aluminium siding on the north side of the house has some major algea growth all over it. My house is 48 feet long so it was a major job hand scrubbing it all off. The neighborhood assn wrote me up for it as an eyesore so I had to get it done. I got quotes and the lowest one was $220 so I did it myself (because I am cheap...lol). I am happy to say, to whole place is nice and clean now. Powerwashed the other three sides too. Has anyone else ever thought this about cleaning? Such a thankless job... you get done, it's clean, and now looks "normal", so to anyone else seeing it, there's no way to tell the effort that went into it, it's invisible. Oh well.

It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon and I finished the "job" around 4pm, started at 7am, so after feeding the kids after school and doing all that parental duty stuff, I rewarded myself with a short hunt. I went to a school that I hit last year. It's fairly close, less then 10 miles, so it was convenient and it's in a richer school dictrict.

My first find, very apt for this Memorial Day holiday, was a small American Flag laying on the ground by the bench, so I picked it up and took it home.

As expected, the finds were coming slow, because I cleaned it out last year, but I managed a few keepers. The coolest was this teeny tiny gold coin. It's a 1853 "California Gold - 1/2 dollar". It is the smallest coin I have ever found and I am so happy to have passed over the exact place it lay. It is about half the size of a dime. My hats off to Bootstrap Vinn for his find of an authentic Calif Gold coin up in the banner, these suckers are small. You Da Man Vinn!!! Unlike his, mine is a replica I am pretty sure. It does not have "copy" on it like most replicas but it doesn't look old. It might be real gold though??? maybe 10kt?? I am happy anyway. It's a cool and exciting MD'ing find. Other than that, I did manage two nice sterling keepers. A double heart "sterling" earring and a "925" heart locket. For an hour and a half hunt, I did pretty good.

I got a few other trinket jewelry pieces including a cheap-o ring. I also found a Sac $1 coin, my first this year and a very interesting Magician coin. It's the thickness of a nickel but a little bigger than a dime and has a a magicians hat on one side and a magic wand with stars around it on the other, cool. I also found a 2 cent 1999 Euro coin. I managed $4.02 in clad - 36 coins and had a great time out there too. Here's some photos of today's finds.

I plan to go out tomorrow moring if the rain holds off. Maybe hit the rich side of town and cover a school or two I hit last summer, maybe cover the soccer fields there too? Good luck to you all. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

Smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• Flag.jpg
    Flag.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 995
  • May 25 T.jpg
    May 25 T.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,007
  • May 25 F.jpg
    May 25 F.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Keepers.jpg
    Keepers.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 1853F.jpg
    1853F.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 626
  • 1853b[1].jpg
    1853b[1].jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 624
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1-1/2 hour hunt - Tiny Calif Gold coin

Nice find

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Way to go Bdoo, you're the man! ;D

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice find, those tiny ones are the most rewarding because it shows your in sync with your machine. Congrats.

Chicago Ron

Smokey

Feb 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100

WTG Doo........Great Finds !!!

55TXBANDIT

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds! Hope you have a great weekend.

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar

My hat's off to you mate, awesome day of finds. Look into the authenticity of that 1/2 $1 you never know your luck. At the end of the day it's still an awesome coin.
As for the house cleaning you should have borrowed or bought a pressure cleaner. That high pressure water would have had you finished in about half an hour.
Great post, thanks for sharing.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BDoo - nice finds. Great that you could find that little coin.

HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WTG Bdoo.....I would have cashed in one of those awesome ring's you've found and sat back and watched someone else do the dirty work.....Congrat's and HH!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Say what? That's the best picture of the gold coin you going to offer? Congrats, I would like to see some closeups. HH, Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thankless indeed, Scooby! :D Just ask me.

Love that gold coin! Congrats on all those finds!

Nana :)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Wow nice finds,

Man you get more old gold coins in the new area's than I get in the old. I know my gold coin is out there somewhere. Even if I never find one I'll still be satisfied with the hobby.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Prober said:
Way to go Bdoo, you're the man! ;D

How can I be the man, if you be the man Bob? lol
Thanks for the friendly comment!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Chicago Ron said:
Very nice find, those tiny ones are the most rewarding because it shows your in sync with your machine. Congrats.

Chicago Ron

Thanks Ron. I was definitely amazed when I dug this one. I just got a little blip of a signal as I think it was also on it's side. Sounded like a tiny piece of tin foil, but I dig everything so out it came.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

55txbandit said:
WTG Doo........Great Finds !!!

55TXBANDIT

Thanks a lot TX B!! Appreciate the read and comment.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

tsgman said:
Great finds! Hope you have a great weekend.

You too tsgman, have a great one!! Thanks for stopping in!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Yarrum said:
My hat's off to you mate, awesome day of finds. Look into the authenticity of that 1/2 $1 you never know your luck. At the end of the day it's still an awesome coin.
As for the house cleaning you should have borrowed or bought a pressure cleaner. That high pressure water would have had you finished in about half an hour.
Great post, thanks for sharing.

Thank you Yarrum!! I had a pressure washer but this stuff wouldn't budge with it, so scrub scrub, scrub. It's done now and I can keep up on it with the pressure washer and won't have to go through that again. Appreciate the read and comment buddy!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread