May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from the Barley Stubble Field Dad & I gained permission for this year. We knew it had been Night Hawked for 15 years+ but decided it was our turn to pile on the pressure :wink:

This does not include the 100s of plain buttons, blank coins, odd bits, & broken buckle pieces.

About 15 trips to cover 11 acres of land. (about 100 man hours effort)

This has been a great stop gap, as none of our good land has been harvested yet (due to heavy rain).

Went back to my old camera :D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,262
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,262
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,246
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,202
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,166
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Why do you worry so much about Night Hawkers :dontknow: when they leave that much stuff on one field :icon_scratch: and you say it's been nighthawked for 15 years :icon_scratch: ihey must have forgot there detectors :laughing9:

Very Nice :icon_thumleft:

SS

Because it all lost information (stolen history which we all own & have a right to understand), we have pieces of the jigsaw missing, that is what bothers me, as someone who records a site carefully.

They are my only detecting competition, & as you pointed out, they all must all be 1-legged as I'm running rings around them.
I don't agree with the lost information :icon_scratch: I know you plot your sites, but I think that you are more in the minority :-\ as most don't, plus most of the finds in ploughed land are way out of context anyway...hence why Archy's strip back the top.

For me there just chances who can't be bothered to ask for permission, and just randomly chose fields on a night, I know people who nighthawk :-\ and believe you me, they don't go half cocked, and usually don't leave a mess or discarded digs. There aim is to dig and leave as little evidence as possible.

SS

I'm not implying that the average Detectorist should plot his finds, the effort is enormous, Dad spends as much time logging information as we spend detecting. (maybe 200 hours this year already). Of course its all out of context, but all valuable information. Don't forget, the archies don't just strip back the useless topsoil, what they do first is field walk it for pottery spread (plot that), & if time get trusted detectorist to do a survey. I know I have done plenty for them. So its all valuable information & yes out of context.

What I am saying, is if you or anyone else wish to detect with me, I make no judgement whether you decide to log or not (I am however, unlikely to take you to a virgin Villa site where Dad & I are trying to understand every coin & artefact from it, so we can compare it to others & the known cropmarks of that site, so as to better understand our local ancient history) This is obiviously excellent targetting information when hitting other cropmarks, cuts down hunting time & puts you right on the money.

So, I'm happy for those that are trustworthy & honest to enjoy our great hobby (how ever they feel fit, including selling their stuff as it drives the market that I enjoy, learn & profit from), but if some clown wants to steal my baited fishing spot, I'll push him in the river >:(

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
That doesn't include the piles of stuff I found there :D :-[

Unreal amount of stuff there Cru :o

Yeah, read my guide para. 1.1 chapter on 'Hawking & how to make friends & influence' :laughing7:

Sorry Cru, I only meant the day I was there with you...or was it two :icon_scratch:

I was only replying to your second statement - implying the Hawkers now have a father & son team on their case.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

Why do you worry so much about Night Hawkers :dontknow: when they leave that much stuff on one field :icon_scratch: and you say it's been nighthawked for 15 years :icon_scratch: ihey must have forgot there detectors :laughing9:

SS

Because it all lost information (stolen history which we all own & have a right to understand), we have pieces of the jigsaw missing, that is what bothers me, as someone who records a site carefully.

They are my only detecting competition, & as you pointed out, they all must all be 1-legged as I'm running rings around them.
I don't agree with the lost information :icon_scratch: I know you plot your sites, but I think that you are more in the minority :-\ as most don't, plus most of the finds in ploughed land are way out of context anyway...hence why Archy's strip back the top.

For me there just chances who can't be bothered to ask for permission, and just randomly chose fields on a night, I know people who nighthawk :-\ and believe you me, they don't go half cocked, and usually don't leave a mess or discarded digs. There aim is to dig and leave as little evidence as possible.

SS

I'm not implying that the average Detectorist should plot his finds, the effort is enormous, Dad spends as much time logging information as we spend detecting. (maybe 200 hours this year already). Of course its all out of context, but all valuable information. Don't forget, the archies don't just strip back the useless topsoil, what they do first is field walk it for pottery spread (plot that), & if time get trusted detectorist to do a survey. I know I have done plenty for them. So its all valuable information & yes out of context.

What I am saying, is if you or anyone else wish to detect with me, I make no judgement whether you decide to log or not (I am however, unlikely to take you to a virgin Villa site where Dad & I are trying to understand every coin & artefact from it, so we can compare it to others & the known cropmarks of that site, so as to better understand our local ancient history) This is obviously excellent targetting information when hitting other cropmarks, cuts down hunting time & puts you right on the money.

So, I happy for those that are trustworthy & honest to enjoy our great hobby (how ever they fell fit, including selling their stuff as it drives the market that I enjoy, learn & profit from), but if some clown wants to steal my baited fishing spot, I'll push him in the river >:(
but I never found any Archy's who appreciate what Metal Detectorists record :-\

SS

To be honest, nor did we to begin with. But your point about hawkers is exactly like Archies, you have to find & make the right contacts. Land-Magnet is our guru networker on this subject (valuable team member), he has made many good contacts who are very interested in what we do. So much so, they have given him unlimited access to valuable locked away resources, plus password to websites, plus invitation to hunt land. Without asking, they have prompted us where to search. I can tell you, with a bit of effort these links are mutually benefical. None of this would have been the case, if we were not the ethical team that we are. The combined research of our knowledge with theirs, gives us the full picture in our area. NO-ONE knows as much as we do (about our local past), that is where we are at. That is what is exciting to us, & that is what makes us pioneers of local history/knowledge.

Plus I get to share it with all you guys, well except the maps :wink:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
"What I am saying, is if you or anyone else wish to detect with me, I make no judgement whether you decide to log or not (I am however, unlikely to take you to a virgin Villa site where Dad & I are trying to understand every coin & artefact from it, so we can compare it to others & the known cropmarks of that site, so as to better understand our local ancient history) This is obiviously excellent targetting information when hitting other cropmarks, cuts down hunting time & puts you right on the money."

I can buy a GPS ;D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
"What I am saying, is if you or anyone else wish to detect with me, I make no judgement whether you decide to log or not (I am however, unlikely to take you to a virgin Villa site where Dad & I are trying to understand every coin & artefact from it, so we can compare it to others & the known cropmarks of that site, so as to better understand our local ancient history) This is obiviously excellent targetting information when hitting other cropmarks, cuts down hunting time & puts you right on the money."

I can buy a GPS ;D
Not another learning curve, your only just getting to grips with the XP :wink: :laughing9:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

What I am saying, is if you or anyone else wish to detect with me, I make no judgement whether you decide to log or not (I am however, unlikely to take you to a virgin Villa site where Dad & I are trying to understand every coin & artefact from it, so we can compare it to others & the known cropmarks of that site, so as to better understand our local ancient history) This is obviously excellent targetting information when hitting other cropmarks, cuts down hunting time & puts you right on the money.

So, I happy for those that are trustworthy & honest to enjoy our great hobby (how ever they fell fit, including selling their stuff as it drives the market that I enjoy, learn & profit from), but if some clown wants to steal my baited fishing spot, I'll push him in the river >:(

SS

To be honest, nor did we to begin with. But your point about hawkers is exactly like Archies, you have to find & make the right contacts. Land-Magnet is our guru networker on this subject (valuable team member), he has made many good contacts who are very interested in what we do. So much so, they have given him unlimited access to valuable locked away resources, plus password to websites, plus invitation to hunt land. Without asking, they have prompted us where to search. I can tell you, with a bit of effort these links are mutually benefical. None of this would have been the case, if we were not the ethical team that we are. The combined research of our knowledge with theirs, gives us the full picture in our area. NO-ONE knows as much as we do (about our local past), that is where we are at. That is what is exciting to us, & that is what makes us pioneers of local history/knowledge.

Well all I can say you are in a very unique, and lucky situation, for us it's shear hard work and miles in the car searching different area's were we manage to gain permission. Most of our sites are 50 miles +.
I only know of one similar case to yours, and that's were nighthawkers were getting imformation from archy's ??? on the understanding that they sold the goodies to them.

SS

We know there is a darker side to Archies, plenty of first hand evidence. They are the lowest paid post-graduate job - they need to feed their families. I have heard from a Hawker who surprised another hawker at night on an archy dig - turns out he was the project lead for that site :( I know of plenty of other illegal activity carried out with the sanction of the Archie world - money speaks.
Only recently, they did a dig on farmers land (which they still own), because of an potential new road. They never showed or told him of anything that they got. It was a major roman site - the one we got 550 coins from in 6 weeks (they wanted nothing to do with our findings). They left metal stakes that damaged the combine etc.. How dare they come in & never have an up front agreement with the owner as to what happens with his property. That in my opinion is worse than a hawker, as they are trusted to keep our greater knowledge & not storm in with their arragant & above the Law attitude- its a similar parallel to the abuse in the Catholic Church. People in power get greedy & corrupted/sick, its the way of the world. The choice in life is, do you join them or do you become a Jedi :laughing7:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

SS

Well all I can say you are in a very unique, and lucky situation, for us it's shear hard work and miles in the car searching different area's were we manage to gain permission. Most of our sites are 50 miles +.
I only know of one similar case to yours, and that's were nighthawkers were getting imformation from archy's ??? on the understanding that they sold the goodies to them.

SS

We know there is a darker side to Archies, plenty of first hand evidence. They are the lowest paid post-graduate job - they need to feed their families. I have heard from a Hawker who surprised another hawker at night on an archy dig - turns out he was the project lead for that site :( I know of plenty of other illegal activity carried out with the sanction of the Archie world - money speaks.
Only recently, they did a dig on farmers land (which they still own), because of an potential new road. They never showed or told him of anything that they got. It was a major roman site - the one we got 550 coins from in 6 weeks (they wanted nothing to do with our findings). They left metal stakes that damaged the combine etc.. How dare they come in & never have an up front agreement with the owner as to what happens with his property. That in my opinion is worse than a hawker, as they are trusted to keep our greater knowledge & not storm in with their arragant & above the Law attitude- its a similar parallel to the abuse in the Catholic Church. People in power get greedy & corrupted/sick, its the way of the world. The choice in life is, do you join them or do you become a Jedi :laughing7:
Well on that note...may the force be with you young Skywalker :laughing7:

SS

It already is, I have years of training in the art of swinging my weapon :laughing9: We shall met again in the muddy terrain of this world we call detecting :occasion14:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

SS

SS

SS

Its it, I have years of training in the art of swinging my weapon :laughing9: We shall met again in the muddy terrain of this world we call detecting :occasion14:

We'll all meet if we can track "Henry" down! Only 3 hours from you :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

SS

SS

SS

Its it, I have years of training in the art of swinging my weapon :laughing9: We shall met again in the muddy terrain of this world we call detecting :occasion14:

We'll all meet if we can track "Henry" down! Only 3 hours from you :icon_thumleft:

I can feel a Monty Python sketch coming on....or is it the wacky races with SS in the lead :laughing9:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

SS

SS

SS

I can feel a Monty Python sketch coming on....or is it the wacky races with SS in the lead :laughing9:

Got him :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

SS

SS

SS

:laughing9:..yea but he's going to have to buy a better car, if he wants to keep up with me :laughing7:

I want to be the Beaver, Shaun's doppelganger is my driver.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

SS

SS

SS

:laughing9:..yea but he's going to have to buy a better car, if he wants to keep up with me :laughing7:

I'm flattered :laughing7:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
Amazing, simply amazing, how much good stuff is in the ground over there! I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I really wish I lived in England!

more than anyone could imagine :hello:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea ....I need to relocate!

Simply amazing . :notworthy:

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow, this is overwhelming to look at. I can't imagine what it's like to be actually -finding- this stuff. Way to go man.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
All I have to say is Wow!

And that you must be retired :D

nope, still manage my 37 hour week around the 381 hours we have done this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions