1 gold ring, maybe 2 (need help): 6 rings down, 94 to go!

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I am in the "ring-zone."

Went to the lake at lunch time and hunted about 40 minutes in the gold mode (aka, pull every poptab) and come up with 2 rings. One is a 14k Artcarved ring. Sweet, sweet ring. The other about gave me a heart attack. I am yet to find any ring with a diamond in it. This is a gold ring with a diamond, but here's the deal: The inside of the ring does not have a 10k 14k 18k or 24k stamp. It has an ASK stamp which makes me think its a play ring. It looks real......I can't tell if the diamond is CZ or real. Any ideas on how I can home test? Of course, I can take it to a jeweler this weekend. But I want to know NOW.

Attachments

• week 2 2008 001.jpg
    week 2 2008 001.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 539
  • week 2 2008 002.jpg
    week 2 2008 002.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 527
  • week 2 2008 003.jpg
    week 2 2008 003.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 514
Upvote 0

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
THe stone needs a trained eye or a diamond tester. The ring you can easily test with a magnet. If it doesnt attract the magnet it is probably what it looks. I saw this being done at a local pawn shop when people were selling gold. Any decent jewelry shop would be more than happy to confirm your stone find verbally for free and maybe even test the composition of the ring if yer extra nice (offer doughnuts, everyone loves doughnuts). Congrats.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Sweet looking rings reguardless, Congrats!
I've never seen, or heard of the "ASK" marking?
One test I have seen on Diamonds is under a black light they will glow a deep dark blue. The better the quality of the diamond, the deeper the color, and the more it will glow...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Ant... Love that last test on that site,,, lol... (The Give It As An Engagament Ring Test)

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WOW GF! You're on a roll! Wish I had a huntin spot like yours. Well, actually there is one here, but I can't get a hold of the owner. I hunted it like a madwoman two years ago, and now the lake (private swimming hole) has changed hands! Grrrrrrr! I love reading your posts and can't wait to see the goodies you pull from there.

HH,
Moon

TESLASEQUAL

Jan 7, 2008
Well i guess you know about waking up sleeping giants letting sleeping dogs lay . GOLITH has awoke and the gauntlet has been received let the games begin. DAD

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Okay DAD, bring it. Me and my lil David are in-the-zone!

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Anyone know if this is true....A simple way to tell if somehting is real gold is to put some foundation and face powder on the back of your hand and then rub the gold against it. If a black mark is left behind it is real gold. Real gold creates a chemical. The ring in question did leave a black mark. Still no clear stamp makes me very, very suspicious. Anyone else EVER find gold NOT stamped and it turned out to be real gold?

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Iskuli...No, I've not "found" it, but the diamond solitare I wear is both yellow & white gold. No interior markings at all. It was verified as 14K by the jeweler at appraisal after my father's death...it was his.

Good luck on your findings...diamonds are nice to "recycle".

HH, DR

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
WOW! Nice rings Iskuli! :o I know what the ASK stamp on the inside of your ring means... it means that you have to take it to a jeweler and..."Ask" them if it is real! ;D Just kidding!!! :D You will probably have to take it to a jeweler to be sure though.

I found a ring that had a huge 3 carat Princess cut clear stone with no Karat marking for gold. It was driving me crazy because I was not sure if it was a diamond. I checked on a few websites and CZ can usually recognized by the following with a 10X loupe:

1) Facets are not polished smooth
2) Edge of facets are not sharp and have minute chips
3) These minute chips appear as small white dots along the edge
of the facet

Diamonds...

1) Very smoothly polished facets
2) Facet edges sharp
3) Usually do not see minute chips on facet edges
4) Inclusions (flawless diamonds are rare)

The ring I found seemed to have the characteristics of a diamond except I could not see any inclusions. I also noticed that the cut was not exactly a Princess cut but seemed to be a modified version. Also, one of the facets was not cut properly...off a little. I took the ring to a jeweler friend and he immediately said that it did not feel like gold...it was too light. The ring weighed about 1.3 g and he said it should have been about 4 times the weight if it was gold. He checked with the 10X loupe and said the stone was not really a Princess cut, the polish was good so it was probably not CZ, but it was probably not a diamond because of the weight of the ring. I looked at a real diamond & the ring I found together with the loupe & you could see that the diamond had more brilliance.

I'll post a link for you on CZ & diamonds... probably better to "ASK" a jeweler to make sure. Hope it is real! ;)

Tom

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Treasure tom is right

The only way to be totally sure is to take it in and have it tested. That way there is no wiggle room or doubtfulness.

they look great and we await your pronunciation.

HH

Sanat

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
Iskuli, here is the link... for... The Diamond Cutter's Corner:

www.gemgate.com/npa/npa_08-05-05.pdf

Also, Moissanite will show a "double refraction." If you look down through one of the facets on the crown, diagonally to the edge of a facet in the pavillion, the edge of the facet will appear as 2 parallel lines instead of a single line.

Some custom made rings do not have a gold Karat stamp. Also, the Karat stamp may be removed if the ring is re-sized. I was hoping the 3 carat stone was real since it would have been worth about a 5 digit dollar amount. :o However, something did not seem right when I kept examining the stone with the loupe. ???

Tom

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Iskuli,
Wow those are some great finds. I have found many gold with now stamp. I usually test by the weight,texture and flaws. Gold is heavy, so simply hold in ur hand with another gold ring and kinda weigh it out. If its heavier than it looks it probably gold, works all the time for me. The other if it is fake or plated you can kinda tell by the texture, Gold has a real nice smooth non edgy texture. Flaws, gold really doesnt change, it doesnt really change color, no rust or corrosion. So take a good look ar the ring, if it has stuff chipping off it and little spots or a very unclean corroded ring its porbably not Gold. Diamonds have very distinct sharp angles and many of them, they are alot sharper than a CZ. Youll need a loupe to see it but that also woks on telling the diamonds from the CZs. CZs are kinda angle round smoother edges. Hope this helps!!

Crackbadger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread