1 man hardrock operation

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read that you just had surgery on the arm...what happened to it?

That does sound like a nice combo. What small mill are you looking at using?

(yeah, I know...nuthin' but questions...lol)

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Digger,

I tore the lower bicep tendon 3/4 of the way off my forearm. Don't ask me how because I don't know. It's all fixed up now just have to go through the healing part. I'm hoping to be back to work full duty by the middle of December.

For the mill, I seen a guy over in Bullhead City, AZ building them. partnertuff.com Seems like a solid mill and I get to buy local so to speak.

After the energy we put into developing our last claim and then pretty much being forced to sell out, I'm kinda burned out on the bigger stuff, as I am a miner for my day job, so this is to kick back and pick up rocks with the wife. She loves rockhounding and I am teaching her how to polish up fire agate. Just another way to spend quality time with wife.

Last edited:

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built my Mills.. so I could help there otherwise you can buy a decent one without motor for 386$ and my gold cube I got on sale for 199.00 (altho only 3 shelf) on the gold cube web site. ^^ and ouch! hope you heal quick m8!

IPA Gold

Greenie
Aug 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger,

I tore the lower bicep tendon 3/4 of the way off my forearm. Don't ask me how because I don't know. It's all fixed up now just have to go through the healing part. I'm hoping to be back to work full duty by the middle of December.

For the mill, I seen a guy over in Bullhead City, AZ building them. partnertuff.com Seems like a solid mill and I get to buy local so to speak.

After the energy we put into developing our last claim and then pretty much being forced to sell out, I'm kinda burned out on the bigger stuff, as I am a miner for my day job, so this is to kick back and pick up rocks with the wife. She loves rockhounding and I am teaching her how to polish up fire agate. Just another way to spend quality time with wife.

Hey Mad, sorry to hear about the injury. I recently bought the crusher you named and other than waiting 8 weeks to start the delivery process, I am completely satisfied. Buy it off thier website, and you will have to pay up-front. I got the 15" without the motor. Got a 14hp at Harbor frieght for $299 + $75 for 3 year warranty. I am mining in Siskiyou county, Cali..and threw everything in it upto 4" as fast as I could grab it.....until I started chucking blue quartz in it, dont do it...reduce that to gravel. It came with everything it said and works good. Get some high grade quick release's for the chains and get lots of extra chain. The gold cube does well, but I can only attest for the ore i'm running, both ran 500lbs an hour average with no problems...(wanna try the underflow sluice next) Sending sulphides off to Arizona. Good luck, God knows there are few but most are helpful as hell..like Dusted

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built my Mills.. so I could help there otherwise you can buy a decent one without motor for 386$ and my gold cube I got on sale for 199.00 (altho only 3 shelf) on the gold cube web site. ^^ and ouch! hope you heal quick m8!

I really thought about building my own. I have a plethora of tools here including a plasma cutter a two welders, but with the way I work at times, it would be quicker and easier to buy one.

Cast comes off tomorrow. T minus 90 days and counting.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mad, sorry to hear about the injury. I recently bought the crusher you named and other than waiting 8 weeks to start the delivery process, I am completely satisfied. Buy it off thier website, and you will have to pay up-front. I got the 15" without the motor. Got a 14hp at Harbor frieght for $299 + $75 for 3 year warranty. I am mining in Siskiyou county, Cali..and threw everything in it upto 4" as fast as I could grab it.....until I started chucking blue quartz in it, dont do it...reduce that to gravel. It came with everything it said and works good. Get some high grade quick release's for the chains and get lots of extra chain. The gold cube does well, but I can only attest for the ore i'm running, both ran 500lbs an hour average with no problems...(wanna try the underflow sluice next) Sending sulphides off to Arizona. Good luck, God knows there are few but most are helpful as hell..like Dusted

Good to hear. After dropping what I made on the last claim to buy a new pad for the wifey, I need something to rebuild the stockpile. Most of the hard rock gold here is fine. I will need to mill to at least 200 mesh. The Gold Cube will have to work until I can afford a RP4 Shaker table.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stuck in a half cast for another 5 weeks. at least I am allowed to take this one off to get a decent shower though.

T minus 88 days and counting.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

If ya happen to find a piece of 16" piece of pipe let me know. I'll give building my own a go.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I been REALLY bored today, so I dug out my Machinery's Handbook and figured out the necessary mathematics to build a mill out if 1/4" flatstock. If the sides of a polygon are kept at 3 3/32" and there are 16 bends in a 48" long piece of 1/4", it looks like a 16" impact mill could be built for well under $200.

I need to get healed up here so I can get moving on some of this. I got plenty of 1/4" laying around here.

hexakaidecagon: 16 - sided polygon , sometimes also called a hexakaidecagon. The ...

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sucks about your arm, I tore my bicep off 4 years ago,,as a logger the surgeon said I would rip it off before it healed,,but its still holding..its hard but don't strain it before they say its healed..the bicep is 100precent now
I am planning on building an impact mill also,,have not found a piece of 16 inch pipe yet, will be hitting some scrap yards in the next few days. On the mill are you going to couple the moter to the shaft with pulleys or a Lovejoy coupling?

edited because of autospell

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sucks about your arm, I tore my bicep off 4 years ago,,as a logger the surgeon said I would rip it off before it healed,,but its still holding..its hard but don't strain it before they say its healed..the bicep is 100precent now
I am planning on building an impact mill also,,have not found a piece of 16 inch pipe yet, will be hitting some scrap yards in the next few days. On the mill are you going to couple the moter to the shaft with pulleys or a Lovejoy coupling?

edited because of autospell

More than likely a lovejoy for simplicity.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
madmachinist

I have an old Hillquest slab/polish/facet machine up for grabs.

are you going to the Dutchman event at the end of the month?

Probably not. If I can work, I'm going to. Between a new pad for the wifey and my injury, my rainy day fund is a lot lower than I'd like it to be.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever get back into small scale production. Give these guys a call. I was given a demonstration on this Prospector Mill, just this afternoon. It's a sweet little setup.
AMMC Milling Equipment

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread