1 month old excl 2 has a major problem

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I'm beginning to get annoyed with this detector, its been here for a month, first I could not use it because it was supplied with a bad battery and now I have this :

yesterday I noticed that my excl was behaving strangely when switching between disc/pinpoint, whenever I switched I got a strange noise asif there was bad contact inside, the tresh hold was getting interrupted for a fraction of a second.

today with a fully loaded battery I test it before my usual hunt and it appears to be fine.

when I was on the train to the coast I tested it again (was bored) and could not turn it on! after connecting and disconnecting the battery a few times I got it to work

once I arrived to the hunting area I tried for an hour or so to turn it on, no effect. I dont think its the battery this time, there is something far worse wrong with the detector.

too bad, because excl has found me over 2oz of gold already

anyway, the dealer is sending it for "repairs" on Monday, if I can find a solution before then, Id be very happy ) currently the excl is at dealers shop and I have no access to it.

Any tips are welcome!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd have maybe done better to send it off to Minelab yourself. Seems the Excal II are problem prone and I won't own one. I hope everything turns out OK for ya.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
whats a good alternative since Im thinking about a backup detector ? for fresh water mostly

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
You'd have maybe done better to send it off to Minelab yourself. Seems the Excal II are problem prone and I won't own one. I hope everything turns out OK for ya.
REALLY? First i have heard that, I was ordering one come the beginning of the week!!!!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonehunting said:
Sandman said:
REALLY? First i have heard that, I was ordering one come the beginning of the week!!!!

YES THEY ARE!!!!!, but........... it seems to be fairly common these days among the major metal detector manufacturers! poor quality control being the main problem!!!!! minelabs service has been horrible, dont know if has improved any over the last few months :dontknow: anyway, its not just minelab.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
Gonehunting said:
Sandman said:

YES THEY ARE!!!!!, but........... it seems to be fairly common these days among the major metal detector manufacturers! poor quality control being the main problem!!!!! minelabs service has been horrible, dont know if has improved any over the last few months :dontknow: anyway, its not just minelab.

Minelab customer service has improved greatly the last 3 or 4 months.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John (Ma) said:
Tesoro Tiger Shark if you hunt fresh water mostly.

Yes, diffinitly the Tiger Shark if you are mainly going to hunt fresh water. I had no trouble with it in the salt but only at some locations but I love it for finding those thin gold chains. You can also think about the CZ-21 or older 20.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
John (Ma) said:
Tesoro Tiger Shark if you hunt fresh water mostly.

Yes, diffinitly the Tiger Shark if you are mainly going to hunt fresh water. I had no trouble with it in the salt but only at some locations but I love it for finding those thin gold chains. You can also think about the CZ-21 or older 20.
I go along with the Tesoro Tiger Shark............Minelab's service is not that great it runs in spurts it will be good for 2 or 3 months then drop down to lousy for a time.................. Really lousy............... Garrett's new AT Pro has problems but at lease they have great service.........

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandman said:
I agree.

If I can help please let me know ok?

Repairs to:
Minelab Americas, Inc.
1418 Brook Drive
Downers Grove, IL 60515

Questions via telephone:

888-949-6522

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread