Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got some decent goodies to post as soon as i get chance but I'm super busy. I thought id post this button i just found to get some opinions. I cant find a exact match but i thought someone on here may recognize it. I cant read the banner on it but i believe its a British 1st regiment of foot button. Thanks for looking! [emoji106]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492551918.580989.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492551929.164209.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492551936.482111.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492551945.449766.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492551952.749455.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492551959.416725.jpg

Upvote 22

Attachments

• LLHM072729.jpg
    LLHM072729.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Unless it's local and that word is Scotia... but doesn't seem to fit as well. So it's probably going to be a random British militia button dropped by a settler and from a unit that was never in North America.

I don't see "regiment" like the pewter example , I see "militia"

rotated pic
View attachment 1441916

love the mystery

Last edited:
their motto is written in the garter
NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT

Nobody harms me with impunity

That's what a Royal Scots would say

Although yours says west ,,,,,,,, militia!!

the plot thickens
I agree, I can see the Militia bit.

I looked at every pic from every angle...then I looked at what google spit up with my searches...I would have to think its just a very obscure local militia from the UK and will take some harder research

one thing that I did run across was reference to a local militia in Welshpool, although I didn't see anything referring to a 1st battalion

Im working now so ill post pic later but cleaned it last night with lemon juice. It says
"Halifax Reg Of Militia"! [emoji106]

I didn't have time to look up much info but seems late 1700's/early 1800's there was some local militias formed. Maybe its one of a kind with any luck! [emoji2]

I didn't have time to look up much info but seems late 1700's/early 1800's there was some local militias formed. Maybe its one of a kind with any luck! [emoji2]

The Crown type is hard to see, but the button construction type is consistent with post-1800. I would guess its in the 1800-20 range.

Maybe not one of a kind but one of very few I'm sure!

our early local militia members were the founders of our towns and communities, muster rolls from that time hold a wealth of info; knowing the early settlers of the area might give you a family name and short list of possibilities

I hope you have some solid info. on this, because even though it would be a bad coincidence, Halifax, Yorkshire is a possibility.

I hope you have some solid info. on this, because even though it would be a bad coincidence, Halifax, Yorkshire is a possibility.

I was worried about that too. When i looked up some stuff online there was some old books that had info so it seemed the militia existed in nova scotia back then. My busy work season started today so hard to get time to look much but ill post whatever i find! [emoji106]

I was worried about that too. When i looked up some stuff online there was some old books that had info so it seemed the militia existed in nova scotia back then. My busy work season started today so hard to get time to look much but ill post whatever i find! [emoji106]
Facts are facts. We know little of them at the moment.(Other than old & pretty rare) Fingers crossed.

What a beauty! Congrats.--Lisa & John

Nice going on the button, great feedback on trying to get to the bottom of the ID.

Heres one bit of info i found on the militia's existence. Its from a book called "Surgeons, Smallpox and the Poor: A History of Medicine and Social Conditions".
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492738741.218319.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492738766.848842.jpg

Its really hard to get a clear picture but it looks way better in person. Heres a pic so at least people may be able to read it better now...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492739085.722184.jpg
Any ideas of anything to put on it now to preserve it and maybe make it not look so dry. A type of wax or something like that? There are other buttons i could do something to also if any good ideas! [emoji2]

Heres some more info from the book "Statistics of the Colonies of the British Empire"...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492742951.647596.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492742970.856819.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492742986.856965.jpg

Hey K1DDO that's a great button, congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back