10 Bags Of Wheat Cents

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back before I was married in the early 70's I used to get a few rolls of cents and nickels from the bank every week when I cashed my paycheck. After receiving my tax refund, I decided to splurge and asked for $50.00 in Lincoln Cents. The bank teller left for a couple minutes and then returned with a cloth bag full of cents.

Upon opening the bag when I got home I discovered the cents were all Wheaties. The next day I went back to the bank and asked if they had any more of the $50.00 bags. I brought 9 more bags home. The total from all 10 bags was 49,998 Wheat Cents and 2 Indian Cents.

Once in a lifetime find for me.

Upvote 0

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow just curious, what did you do with them? That's why there called the good old days.

OP
OP
F

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow just curious, what did you do with them? That's why there called the good old days.

They're squirreled away in the attic somewhere along with about 45 years worth of metal detecting Wheaties..

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WoW! Curious, did you ever take the time to go through them for any errors. Wheatie doubled dies are usually sought after. To me that would be like hiding a handful of possible winning lottery tickets and never checking to see if I had any winning numbers.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible. I love Wheaties and would enjoy going through them....although it would take a while to do so......

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Yes, check for errors. Some are quite pricey. Try NOT to do it in one day.

OP
OP
F

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! Curious, did you ever take the time to go through them for any errors. Wheatie doubled dies are usually sought after. To me that would be like hiding a handful of possible winning lottery tickets and never checking to see if I had any winning numbers.

I never really searched for errors. I keep saying that I will spend some quality time with them while I'm stuck indoors over the winter but never seem to get started on them. I do remember seeing a few that stood out to me, several serious laminations, a few cuds, and several wood grain coins (if the wood grain coins are considered errors). Someday hopefully, I'll get to revisit the bags and collect the errors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread