Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two local residents who own a house on Main Street decided to set up a few tables and do a little house cleaning. First I purchased the 3 insulators, the Avon Glass Dinner Bell and a Reed & Barton silver plated holiday bell for $5. Then I moved on to the next table.
I purchased the Santa and Rudolf, (music box), and 2 Elvis Presley ornaments and a Bolo tie clip w/3 turquoise stones for another $5.
How do you guys think I did??
Does anyone have any resale values for these items? 20170917_184410.jpg 20170917_185835.jpg 20170917_184232.jpg 20170917_105626.jpg 20170917_185743.jpg 20170917_184502.jpg 20170917_110008.jpg 20170917_110039.jpg

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Insulators are run of the mill, two good indicators of insulator value are color and threads. If it doesn't have threads it is very old, and probably valuable. Also insulators in any color other than teal or clear can be pretty valuable.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insulators and Bolo tie clip I feel are the best of the lot. I am not an Elvis or Avon fan so I would have passed on those.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up insulators when I find them for a dollar or less, I don't know why I do but I do. I have a bunch now, I need to find something to re-purpose them on.

Any hallmarks on that native piece?

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up insulators when I find them for a dollar or less, I don't know why I do but I do. I have a bunch now, I need to find something to re-purpose them on.

Any hallmarks on that native piece?

Nothing but the lady insisted that the turquoise stones were real.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing but the lady insisted that the turquoise stones were real.

It does not look like a handcrafted piece to me. I also don't think it's silver. It just doesn't have that artisan look to me. Is it marked 925?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The Avon Cape Cod Collection Bell should get you between $3-$10. So if you found the right person at the right price you could break even with that alone. Nice buys!

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not look like a handcrafted piece to me. I also don't think it's silver. It just doesn't have that artisan look to me. Is it marked 925?

No it isn't silver. It was part of the bundle. If you average everything in, I paid about $1.25 for each item.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does have a different look to it, but I would still test for silver to eliminate any doubt.

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I like garage/yard sales .....not into music boxes but I see yours has a place for a battery.....for Rudolph's NOSE ! Nice.
As for resale ? Do what the pros do.....research , then "or best reasonable offer" .
....Keep it up !

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think how you did depends on where you sell. I sell on ebay and am very picky about what I buy. I only buy if I really think that it will bring in good money. I do not like a cluttered house, so I won't buy items hoping they will sell. I only have 1 garage sale myself per year to unload all the other items that did not sell. So, for me, I would have passed on those items. However, if you do flea markets and those type of sales then you may do pretty well with those items.:icon_king:

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think how you did depends on where you sell. I sell on ebay and am very picky about what I buy. I only buy if I really think that it will bring in good money. I do not like a cluttered house, so I won't buy items hoping they will sell. I only have 1 garage sale myself per year to unload all the other items that did not sell. So, for me, I would have passed on those items. However, if you do flea markets and those type of sales then you may do pretty well with those items.:icon_king:

Thanks,, I'm not crazy about clutter either. I will keep certain resale items in plastic tubs that go to storage in the barn. If I only use something once every 6 months or around a certain holiday, it will go into storage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread