10 gold and 20 silvers in one day of water detecting in the park, more civil war bullets (with a first for me) and the scout camp keeps giving

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the small town park I have been doing and spent 4 hours with the CZ21. I found 84 coins with a face value of $4.91, a (LOVE TO THE FULLEST) charm, a DREAM MACHINE token, an interesting buckle, a drawer knob escutcheon, an older style gauge face, a toy revolver cylinder, aluminum cans, copper wire, a big construction lead chunk, tabs and some can slaw.

DSCN2819.jpeg

The buckle is an ornate older style that is a different design than most I have seen. Not sure of the age, but probably no older than 1930s.

DSCN2820.jpeg

DSCN2821.jpeg

DAY 2
I took another trip to the scout camp, again working places undetected in the past. Going where no detectorist has gone before. In 6 hours with the CZ21 I found

135 coins with a face value of $13.03, 46 camp tent pegs, 9 more rope tensioners, another fake cob coin, 3 NO CASH VALUE tokens, a pinewood derby medal (minus the ribbon it was on), 1 older style advancement belt loop and 2 newer ones, 4 neckerchief slides, a Canadian penny, a tiny pad lock, sinkers and a fishing lure, a few tabs and melted aluminum from the campfires. Another good hunt at camp.

IMG_6659.jpeg

DSCN2822.jpeg

DSCN2823.jpeg

DAY 3
Another trip to the bullet school on a rainy day. It wasn’t too bad so I managed to get in 4 hours with the CZ21 doing a grid search of an area I have walked over cherry picking many times. Going low and slow and digging the iffy combination signals does pay off sometimes. In 4 hours I managed to dig up 14 coins with a face value of $1.41, 3 civil war bullets, a small chunk of possible camp lead, 2 coke game tabs, a cheapie pendant and earring, and the usual assortment of junk.

DSCN2824.jpeg

The civil war bullets are a .58 caliber minie ball, and a Williams type III, both ones I have found many of at the school. The last one is a first for me. It has 2 square flat grooves and a deep straight cavity in the base. The nose has an odd spru. All this leads me to believe I have found my first confederate .58 caliber Gardner bullet. This makes my 7th civil war first from this site. Boy I’m glad I got this permission.

DSCN2825.jpeg

DSCN2826.jpeg

DSCN2828.jpeg

DAY 4
I went to a state park 90 miles away. This park is pretty heavily detected. Sometimes we camp there in the summer and I detect in the morning and can have decent luck (this park allows campers to detect from 6am to 9am in the summer, after Labor Day you can detect all day). I usually go again in the fall and do a clean up of all the small stuff other people miss. Sometimes I get a real winner that has been missed or lost after others have detected. You can’t detect in the water after they take out the swim ropes, which they do after the last weekend in September.

Normally I find lots of jewelry (mostly junky stuff) and a few coins. This trip I got lucky and either beat some of the regulars to the water or they no longer are detecting. In 8.5 hours in the water in the rain with the ATPro I found 99 coins with a face value of $12.81, a load of cheapie jewelry, a few sinkers, a bunch of pellet gun pellets, a real load of selfie stick retainers, a few tabs, 20 pieces of silver jewelry (including 5 rings), 10 pieces of 14k gold jewelry, a pile of jewelry that was a combination of ferrous and nonferrous metal (no picture of those), a few stainless screws and very little foil.

DSCN2834.jpeg

DSCN2832.jpeg

DSCN2833.jpeg

DSCN2829.jpeg

It was rainy and cold, but I had on my wetsuit with an insulated dive skin and a rain jacket to keep the cold rain and wind off my neck so I was decently comfortable for my long water hunt. I always find pellets here for some reason and the selfie retainers come from the telescoping nets the kids use to try and scoop up the little fishies in the shallow water. Normally at this time of year I find very few big target, coins rings and tabs, but this year I was in luck and got a bunch of the biggies (right place, right time).

I was using my ATPro in PRO ZERO mode with iron setting at 30, IRON AUDIO ON, and SENSITIVITY 2 down from max. I scoop up all the high and mid tones and combination tones that’s why I get the ferrous mixed jewelry.

The silver tied my record for best hunt ever with 20 all marked 925. They are: a small lobster claw clasp, 3 earring backs, a broken pendant bale, 3 hoop earrings, 3 gold plated CZ studs, 4 other stud earrings, a Pandora CZ ring, a wide band ring with stars, a wide thin flat band ring (large size with first name and initials inside), a flower band ring and a small plain band (kids size). I believe this is the most silver rings I have found in a hunt.

DSCN2831.jpeg

The gold jewelry is all 14k. I once found 22 pieces of gold jewelry in 20 hours of detecting over a weekend, but this is the best one day hunt. A thin bent up religious pendant, a fancy flower pendant, a nice looking ring with many stones (the ruby is the only good one and it is probably man made), a religious earring with czs, 2 hinged earring with czs, an interlocking heart earring (very thin metal), a cz stud, a 16 inch rose gold necklace with fancy links (.11 troy ounces or 3.3 grams) and a decently heavy link bracelet (.19 troy ounces or 5.8 grams). I love finding those chains. I also found a cool looking gold screw in earring back. It was very tiny and somehow it must have slipped out of the neck bag I put the good stuff in and I can’t find it. If it fell out in the water maybe I’ll find it again next year LOL.

DSCN2830.jpeg

Man what a week. It sure ended on a great note. Gold, silver and old stuff, it doesn’t get any better than this. In 2 days I’m off to Africa for 16 days and so no finds for me for awhile. That is unless you count the cool animals I’ll see on safari. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 51

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another great post up.
Well done on the clean up of the gold and silver.
Certainly you were at the right time and place this year.
Best to you on the trip.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the small town park I have been doing and spent 4 hours with the CZ21. I found 84 coins with a face value of $4.91, a (LOVE TO THE FULLEST) charm, a DREAM MACHINE token, an interesting buckle, a drawer knob escutcheon, an older style gauge face, a toy revolver cylinder, aluminum cans, copper wire, a big construction lead chunk, tabs and some can slaw.

View attachment 2106901

The buckle is an ornate older style that is a different design than most I have seen. Not sure of the age, but probably no older than 1930s.

View attachment 2106902

View attachment 2106903

DAY 2
I took another trip to the scout camp, again working places undetected in the past. Going where no detectorist has gone before. In 6 hours with the CZ21 I found

135 coins with a face value of $13.03, 46 camp tent pegs, 9 more rope tensioners, another fake cob coin, 3 NO CASH VALUE tokens, a pinewood derby medal (minus the ribbon it was on), 1 older style advancement belt loop and 2 newer ones, 4 neckerchief slides, a Canadian penny, a tiny pad lock, sinkers and a fishing lure, a few tabs and melted aluminum from the campfires. Another good hunt at camp.

View attachment 2106904

View attachment 2106905

View attachment 2106906

DAY 3
Another trip to the bullet school on a rainy day. It wasn’t too bad so I managed to get in 4 hours with the CZ21 doing a grid search of an area I have walked over cherry picking many times. Going low and slow and digging the iffy combination signals does pay off sometimes. In 4 hours I managed to dig up 14 coins with a face value of $1.41, 3 civil war bullets, a small chunk of possible camp lead, 2 coke game tabs, a cheapie pendant and earring, and the usual assortment of junk.

View attachment 2106907

The civil war bullets are a .58 caliber minie ball, and a Williams type III, both ones I have found many of at the school. The last one is a first for me. It has 2 square flat grooves and a deep straight cavity in the base. The nose has an odd spru. All this leads me to believe I have found my first confederate .58 caliber Gardner bullet. This makes my 7th civil war first from this site. Boy I’m glad I got this permission.

View attachment 2106908

View attachment 2106909

View attachment 2106910

DAY 4
I went to a state park 90 miles away. This park is pretty heavily detected. Sometimes we camp there in the summer and I detect in the morning and can have decent luck (this park allows campers to detect from 6am to 9am in the summer, after Labor Day you can detect all day). I usually go again in the fall and do a clean up of all the small stuff other people miss. Sometimes I get a real winner that has been missed or lost after others have detected. You can’t detect in the water after they take out the swim ropes, which they do after the last weekend in September.

Normally I find lots of jewelry (mostly junky stuff) and a few coins. This trip I got lucky and either beat some of the regulars to the water or they no longer are detecting. In 8.5 hours in the water in the rain with the ATPro I found 99 coins with a face value of $12.81, a load of cheapie jewelry, a few sinkers, a bunch of pellet gun pellets, a real load of selfie stick retainers, a few tabs, 20 pieces of silver jewelry (including 5 rings), 10 pieces of 14k gold jewelry, a pile of jewelry that was a combination of ferrous and nonferrous metal (no picture of those), a few stainless screws and very little foil.

View attachment 2106911

View attachment 2106912

View attachment 2106913

View attachment 2106900

It was rainy and cold, but I had on my wetsuit with an insulated dive skin and a rain jacket to keep the cold rain and wind off my neck so I was decently comfortable for my long water hunt. I always find pellets here for some reason and the selfie retainers come from the telescoping nets the kids use to try and scoop up the little fishies in the shallow water. Normally at this time of year I find very few big target, coins rings and tabs, but this year I was in luck and got a bunch of the biggies (right place, right time).

I was using my ATPro in PRO ZERO mode with iron setting at 30, IRON AUDIO ON, and SENSITIVITY 2 down from max. I scoop up all the high and mid tones and combination tones that’s why I get the ferrous mixed jewelry.

The silver tied my record for best hunt ever with 20 all marked 925. They are: a small lobster claw clasp, 3 earring backs, a broken pendant bale, 3 hoop earrings, 3 gold plated CZ studs, 4 other stud earrings, a Pandora CZ ring, a wide band ring with stars, a wide thin flat band ring (large size with first name and initials inside), a flower band ring and a small plain band (kids size). I believe this is the most silver rings I have found in a hunt.

View attachment 2106914

The gold jewelry is all 14k. I once found 22 pieces of gold jewelry in 20 hours of detecting over a weekend, but this is the best one day hunt. A thin bent up religious pendant, a fancy flower pendant, a nice looking ring with many stones (the ruby is the only good one and it is probably man made), a religious earring with czs, 2 hinged earring with czs, an interlocking heart earring (very thin metal), a cz stud, a 16 inch rose gold necklace with fancy links (.11 troy ounces or 3.3 grams) and a decently heavy link bracelet (.19 troy ounces or 5.8 grams). I love finding those chains. I also found a cool looking gold screw in earring back. It was very tiny and somehow it must have slipped out of the neck bag I put the good stuff in and I can’t find it. If it fell out in the water maybe I’ll find it again next year LOL.

View attachment 2106915

Man what a week. It sure ended on a great note. Gold, silver and old stuff, it doesn’t get any better than this. In 2 days I’m off to Africa for 16 days and so no finds for me for awhile. That is unless you count the cool animals I’ll see on safari. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Outstanding Hunt!!!! Congrats!!!!! You’re gonna have to get some rest from that hunt! I bet that wore You out a bit.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1

View attachment 2106901

View attachment 2106902

View attachment 2106903

DAY 2

View attachment 2106904

View attachment 2106905

View attachment 2106906

DAY 3

View attachment 2106907

View attachment 2106908

View attachment 2106909

View attachment 2106910

DAY 4

View attachment 2106911

View attachment 2106912

View attachment 2106913

View attachment 2106900

View attachment 2106914

View attachment 2106915

Buy your lotto ticket. Amazing finds.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! Lots of great jewelry. Congratulations! Looks like a great place to go back to. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read a bunch of your fun posts and have seen some very normal not too exciting hunts and this one shows just how much we have to keep at it to finally be rewarded with a killer day. Congratulations and, as always, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the reply. You hit on the reason I post all of my hunts. If we only post the real special hunts newer detectorists will think they are doing something wrong if they don’t score big every time. By posting the so so hunts as well as the great ones they get a more realistic idea of the hard work you need to put in the be successful at this hobby.

Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Place keeps on giving, incredible as many times as you have combed it. I really like the scout badges
Thanks Nathan W. The scout camp keeps giving because I keep finding areas I have not yet combed. The park swimming area keeps giving because it is actually 2 large areas that I only get time to do a loose grid on when I am there. It would take 40 hours to grid search it thoroughly. Also that park is PACKED all summer long so the contributors keep leaving new stuff to find. Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread