10 most popular myths about Russia and Russians

Che Guevara

Jan 8, 2017
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10. The myth of unwashed Russia. Perhaps foreigners our village with slanting houses and broken roads seemed unpleasant But the people Russian at least once a week for centuries namawala in the bath clean. You can not say, for example, about the French. It is believed that Louis XIV, the famous sun king, for all the life washed from head to toe twice.

9. The myth of Russian drunkenness. Incidentally, the amount of alcohol consumed per capita, Russia lags behind Italy, France and some US States do Not forget and about the strong Russian body allowing without consequences "take on the breast" immeasurably more alcohol than the average European.

8. The myth of the worst roads in the world. Yes, the road is our problem. But not only ours. As shows a rating of the cost of roads, broken roads inherited all the countries of the former Soviet Union. Of course, not proud of this, but today the state of Russian roads is still better than in many Bliznak countries.

7. The myth of Russian chauvinism. In spite of the periodically emerging movement "Russia for Russians" etc., our country has never tried, for example, to lock the whole nation on reservations, like many supposedly more civilized countries.

6. The myth about the impossibility of restoring order "In Russia it is impossible to restore order is too big" — absolutely allegation those who are not familiar with the history of the era of Stalinist totalitarianism. I'd like to believe that someday we will find a middle ground between the dictates of the 1940s and rampant 1990s. Let the "living space" is large indeed, but residents in fact missing.

5. The myth of the Russian piffle Indeed, the reasons for such findings in Western society there are several. First, the country's leaders have not always demonstrated a high level of self-discipline, and could Shoe on the podium to knock, and the place to go. Second, a significant portion leaving the Russian immigrants is not the most prosperous items.

4. The myth that Russia is an Asian country. Everyone who saw the map of the world, you know that Russia is not Asia and not Europe – Eurasia. This geographic location leaves its mark. We are not Asians, but also Europeans we can't have.

3. The myth that every Russian guy has a hat. In English-speaking countries, this hat is simply called shapka. Yes, respected Russian fur hats, as well as many other peoples who are forced to live in harsh climatic conditions. For example, hat appears in the uniforms of some military units of Canada, and is even part of the winter forms of the German police.

2. The myth that the mind can not understand Russia. Of course, do not understand, if the mind is not Russian. Well, they say, we have to take... Because we have the mysterious Russian soul. Sometimes it seems that we are deliberately trying to look illogical and unpredictable. It is a kind of protection from unnecessary concern from the international community.

1. The myth that in Russia the streets bears roam. Images of the bear as a symbol of the Russian state are to be found on maps of the XVI century. Some researchers even say that the shape our country resemble a bear, turned loin to Europe. So the bears go, but not on the streets of Russia. They proudly March across the world map.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Post removed by kcm

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
:dontknow: I'm sorry, but how, exactly, does this relate to "treasure"? Can't remember where the link is off-hand, but there's a section titled "Everything Else" This thread would be better suited there, I believe.

This new thread is posted in the General Discussion forum, anything goes here. And how about us discovering life in Russia?

I believe it would be incredible to have a Russian member here, a citizen proud of his country, talk to us and tell us about their lives and beliefs. I say WELCOME!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This new thread is posted in the General Discussion forum, anything goes here. And how about us discovering life in Russia?

I believe it would be incredible to have a Russian member here, a citizen proud of his country, talk to us and tell us about their lives and beliefs. I say WELCOME!
Agreed. And I to say welcome. Addiction knows no boundaries

HH RN

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to date a Russian immigrant to the States of America. I'm not %100 sure about Russian women in general, but this one in particular was very opinionated and expected to be slapped around some. In fact, she would often test the limits of her respect for me.

Had to let her go. Hitting women just ain't for me even if they like it, or need it.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man this is too funny, I am often in Russia and really have to wonder why some of these would be called a Myth and not a Fact depending on where you go.

The alcohol one is pretty funny, the comparison behind Italy. I have a house in a Venetian town, they go through more alcohol than fish do water.

So here is one for you, is it Myth or Fact.

Babushka"

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to date a Russian immigrant to the States of America. I'm not %100 sure about Russian women in general, but this one in particular was very opinionated and expected to be slapped around some. In fact, she would often test the limits of her respect for me.

Had to let her go. Hitting women just ain't for me even if they like it, or need it.

I started to date a Hispanic woman who I eventually found out was the same way. I just walked away. I ain't gonna be playing caveman and dragging my lady around by the hair no matter what!

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
#3. I live in a state with the worst roads. Utah. SO I know that is a myth!! :laughing7:

10. The myth of unwashed Russia. Perhaps foreigners our village with slanting houses and broken roads seemed unpleasant But the people Russian at least once a week for centuries namawala in the bath clean. You can not say, for example, about the French. It is believed that Louis XIV, the famous sun king, for all the life washed from head to toe twice.

9. The myth of Russian drunkenness. Incidentally, the amount of alcohol consumed per capita, Russia lags behind Italy, France and some US States do Not forget and about the strong Russian body allowing without consequences "take on the breast" immeasurably more alcohol than the average European.

8. The myth of the worst roads in the world. Yes, the road is our problem. But not only ours. As shows a rating of the cost of roads, broken roads inherited all the countries of the former Soviet Union. Of course, not proud of this, but today the state of Russian roads is still better than in many Bliznak countries.

7. The myth of Russian chauvinism. In spite of the periodically emerging movement "Russia for Russians" etc., our country has never tried, for example, to lock the whole nation on reservations, like many supposedly more civilized countries.

6. The myth about the impossibility of restoring order "In Russia it is impossible to restore order is too big" — absolutely allegation those who are not familiar with the history of the era of Stalinist totalitarianism. I'd like to believe that someday we will find a middle ground between the dictates of the 1940s and rampant 1990s. Let the "living space" is large indeed, but residents in fact missing.

5. The myth of the Russian piffle Indeed, the reasons for such findings in Western society there are several. First, the country's leaders have not always demonstrated a high level of self-discipline, and could Shoe on the podium to knock, and the place to go. Second, a significant portion leaving the Russian immigrants is not the most prosperous items.

4. The myth that Russia is an Asian country. Everyone who saw the map of the world, you know that Russia is not Asia and not Europe – Eurasia. This geographic location leaves its mark. We are not Asians, but also Europeans we can't have.

3. The myth that every Russian guy has a hat. In English-speaking countries, this hat is simply called shapka. Yes, respected Russian fur hats, as well as many other peoples who are forced to live in harsh climatic conditions. For example, hat appears in the uniforms of some military units of Canada, and is even part of the winter forms of the German police.

2. The myth that the mind can not understand Russia. Of course, do not understand, if the mind is not Russian. Well, they say, we have to take... Because we have the mysterious Russian soul. Sometimes it seems that we are deliberately trying to look illogical and unpredictable. It is a kind of protection from unnecessary concern from the international community.

1. The myth that in Russia the streets bears roam. Images of the bear as a symbol of the Russian state are to be found on maps of the XVI century. Some researchers even say that the shape our country resemble a bear, turned loin to Europe. So the bears go, but not on the streets of Russia. They proudly March across the world map.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
New Mexico USA has bears all over. Most cold countries like Iceland, Sweden etc drink too much because long winters are depressing.But as Nationalities go, alcoholism runs between Italians and Jews 3% to some Native Americans 98%. Who knows why. It's normally a late life problem so it's hard to point to genetic disposition. People usually have kids early.
About the hat. My Brother is a film maker and he went to Russia in the 50's and returned with a fur hat so it's kind of a symbol.
It's might have been hard to take a bath back when heating a home when it's really cold and easy to discourage bathing.

But enough justifying perceived negatives. Where is the most perfect country from a Russian perspective?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You think Russians have baggage? Try being a "New Yorker" that doesn't live in New York City. Even our own country dismisses us.

Never heard of Russians as being "unwashed". Just the opposite. They take baths together I heard. :laughing7:

If we could get rid of our politicians I think Russians and Americans have a lot in common. I thought the biggest difference is the secret police take pictures of the Russians and the Americans take pictures of themselves.

(And guys, when he says "piffle" it means "ineffective nonsense" - not that other thing). ;-)

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Not Asia. Eurasia.

russia.jpg

Makes sense.

Attachments

• russia.jpg
    russia.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 91

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8. The myth of the worst roads in the world.: I never heard most of those before.
Just the Vodka one :laughing7:

I had to look up Russian Roads though .

russia.jpg

because I felt Pennsylvania could rival them with all our Pot Holes.

one.jpg imag.jpg images.jpg inde.jpg ndex.jpg image.jpg
1-Pothole-art-600x450.jpg Un.jpg archibald-pothole.jpg

there is one about a mile from me I go by Regularly.
They fix it occasionally, But Now as I go by I can't even see the Bottom of it.

not sure who wins :tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Che Guevara

Che Guevara

Jan 8, 2017
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the most perfect country from a Russian perspective?
This is a very difficult question, all countries have their pros and cons. The Russians sympathize with Italy, Iceland, France(not yet filled out migrants) like to rest in Thailand, but this is not to say that everything is great...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
8. The myth of the worst roads in the world.: I never heard most of those before.
Just the Vodka one :laughing7:

I had to look up Russian Roads though .

Jeff, having driven many miles through every one of the lower 48 states (save Vermont),
I can tell you, without question, that Pennsylvania had the absolute worst roads in the
US. Can't speak about how they are currently, as this was back in the 90's.

I-80 across PA. was a nightmare I would dread for 500 miles before getting there. I'd
even take a couple Tylenol in advance as it always bounced me enough for a good
backache!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, having driven many miles through every one of the lower 48 states (save Vermont),
I can tell you, without question, that Pennsylvania had the absolute worst roads in the
US. Can't speak about how they are currently, as this was back in the 90's.

I-80 across PA. was a nightmare I would dread for 500 miles before getting there. I'd
even take a couple Tylenol in advance as it always bounced me enough for a good
backache!

I'd respond but this isn't the Politics forum

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ever try to sluice for gold, I'm sure the northern part of Russia has some gold there. HH

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Russia is a fascinating nation with a rich, varied history.

I'm just old enough to have come in on the tail end of the "cold war", and grew up thinking Russia was the enemy because we were taught that was so ,,, And probably the same for Russians to see USA as the enemy.

I really don't anymore, I understand that Russia does dirty things in its own interests, just as the USA does, and sometimes these interests conflict. I think the world would be a better and safer place with more US/Russian cooperation, and look forward to an era of improved relations with the coming leadership - One thing about Russia that is not a myth - Hot babes !

ec4dc693a38eeb0e0dcb50c10735bcf1.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read through this several times now, and I still am unsure if you're trying to tell us the Myths are real, or if your data is designed to make us go, "Yeah, THAT ONE has GOTTA be true."

Take for example, your first Myth, (#10) "unwashed Russia." If your argument is that for centuries Russians have been bathing at least weekly, that makes them a washed people...> uh... How often do you think washed people bathe? Because I can tell you, weekly ain't gonna cut it.

Then move to #9: Alcohol consumption... I looked it up, and in 2011 Russia was FOURTH HIGHEST IN THE WORLD! Granted, government campaigns to stop the consumption have worked, and now you all pretty much don't show up on the list, but if you're talking about REPUTATIONS... I think Russia probably earned that one... LOL

#8 Worst roads in the world? Nah, I've not heard that one, only that they were lousy. Which you just confirmed.

#7 Russian chauvinism - Nah, I think this "reputation" was more tied to the rampant and heavily USSR backed communist movement. When westerners think Russia, they were taught to think "communist Party." No help for that now, other than education. But if you're talking about Russians ousting or controlling groups in their own borders, Russia has it's stains just like the rest of the world. Have you heard of the Circassians (19th century... 1.5 Million people killed/deported), and earlier than that the Russian conquest of Siberia by the Cossacks... both events were bloody... sure, there's no locking them up in reservations... nah, it was just wholesale slaughter and deportation. Move into the last 100 years, and we see Stalin's forced famine of the Ukraine, resulting in 7 MILLION deaths. I don't think that counts as a reservation lock-up, but it should be noted. No point in really telling more though, every country and government power on the planet has dealt with people poorly at some level.
--------------

I was going to go down the rest of the list, but #7 depressed me, especially since I have a few Russian friends, whom I actually love and adore. No citizen should be wholly held responsible for their government. Collectively, it's a burden, but individually, we're not to blame.

How about this. Instead of providing a top 10 of myths... Share with us your top 10 favorite things about your country! I'd love to hear them. Pictures, too, if you've got them. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

the way I read it the Whole thing is with Tongue Firmly planted in Cheek.
and just for fun.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread