$10 National Bank Note -- Houston No Signatures...?

Gold Seeker

Aug 17, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
MXT
Hello everyone!

I need help with a banknote that I purchased about a year ago. It's a $10 National Bank Note from 1902 from Houston. I didn't notice until a couple months ago that it was missing the bank president/cashier signatures. I asked NGC on their forum about it, but they blew me off by not responding >:(. See if I buy any more coins that they graded... Anyway, I was thinking the signatures may have faded over time, but wouldn't there be some sort of indentation where they used the pen? I'll attach some pics and please let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Obverse.jpg
    Obverse.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 888
  • close-up.jpg
    close-up.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 881

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gold Seeker

Gold Seeker

Aug 17, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
MXT
Thanks for the info, Jeff. I'm headed over to the PCGS site right now to get a silver membership. Costs $50, but it'll be worth it to have this note and others that I have graded. I've been wanting to get the 1896 $1 Education note graded but haven't gotten around to it... Thanks again!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a beautiful note you have there... could be worth a fair amount if that is a error....

Please keep us posted about this, would love to know more.

God bless
Peter

MSgtUSAF

Mar 8, 2006
Is this a 1902?? It looks like its dated 1906 to me. Also all of the notes I have seen have the same serial numbers on the top right and lower left under the picture. Yours has different numbers with the top having a weird symbol at the end. Be interesting to see the result of the grading.

copy of 1902 Richmond note.
64_12.JPG

Another
b634.jpg

Msgt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MSgtUSAF said:
Yours has different numbers with the top having a weird symbol at the end. Be interesting to see the result of the grading.

Msgt

Very Curious !

I hope that's what they did before Star notes were Invented.
That may make it even more Valuable.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but,the numbers not corresponding are nothing unusual,I wouldn't think.Only because my blackbook shows an example with different numbers at the top right versus the bottom left.Plus i've seen examples on the web with different numbers.I don't know what the numbers represent besides a serial number though.Your note with the Lyons-Treat signature sell for anywhere from$45 for the average circulated note to $1325 for an uncirculated example.All notes were printed at the U.S.Gov. printing office and the designs were all alike differing only in names of the banks,state seals,bank signatures and the banks charter number.This being a large size note,means it was hand signed(at the bank) also,so the signature could have just faded away.It would have been hand signed by the cashier and the pres. of the bank.If they used a "rubber stamp" there would be no indentations.Also depends on what type of "pen" they used.I don't believe they had ballpoints back then. :) Nice note and good luck on your research on it.

OP
OP
Gold Seeker

Gold Seeker

Aug 17, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
MXT
I was curious about the numbers not matching as well. I guess I also mis-spoke when I said it was from 1902 -- what I meant was it was from the series of 1902... Thanks, MSgt for keeping me honest! ;)

Even if they did use a stamp of some sort, wouldn't there be at least a little left over indentation? It will be interesting to see what PCGS has to say about it -- now all of you have me really curious!! I will keep you posted on the results and thanks for all the advice! ;D

montyhall

Nov 27, 2006
The signatures were in fact hand signed on the series of 1902, they came in sheets of 5, 10, 20 on the same sheet, signed by President, and cashier, then hand cut. Many signatures have faded. NIce note.

Wpg_Lwr

Apr 18, 2007
I'm thinking the signatures faded out over time, perhaps because of poor ink used by the local bank authorities. Black light could show you if there were ever any signatures there.

It is possible that a sheet got missed at the signing process, though, and if so, this could make it worth much more, because "that isn't supposed to happen."

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about the dates.

these are called "series of 1902" like it printed on top

but were printed from 1902-1922 at least, maybe even later. i have some from 191, 1922, 1917 etc..

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
This is a super old thread, but since its already been bumped ill jump in. These notes were indeed hand signed, and its possible that yours was never signed. As far as the symbol at the end of the serial number, it doesn't indicate anything. The symbols were used so that numbers could not be added or subtracted from the serial without it being extremely obvious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread