$10 * note 2009

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Never knew about the star note or paper money until today when a ci worker and i got to talking about coins ect. he mentions a star note as im asking him whats a star note as hes telling me i reach in my wallet so he can show where exactly to look i had 2 20's and 2 10's and as crazy as it seems i had a $10 star note out of the 4 bills,im not sure how common these are but any input on this bill or any star note's would be interesting thanks

Upvote 1

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This star represents what is known as a replacement note. When a printing error occurs during a normal press run and renders a set of bills unusable, replacement notes are used instead. With replacements notes, a set of serial numbers can still have the proper number of bills even if some of the original bills had to be pulled. The replacement notes have a sequence of their own, using the star as their final "letter." This allows for 99,999,999 possible replacement notes for any given bank, series and denomination. This should be more than enough: According to the Paper Money Collecting FAQ, there's about one error in every 100,000 U.S. bills.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Shines

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Did a little research last night the note i have is from a run of 1,900,000 do you think this note may be a rare type or semi rare,,,thank you for the info.....

OP
OP
Shines

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Thanks don yea checked out ebay seen a lot of 100 $10*s 2009 jd's like mine going for $1,700 so guess mine worth between $10\$17 considering his were mint and mine if i was to guess is vf...im gonna stick to my coins for now, but will still keep my $10 star once again thanks to all who responded...

OP
OP
Shines

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Today i found another * note this time a $1* 2006 its weird considering i just learned about *notes earlier this week upon finding my first a $10 * im wondering are these notes that common or am i having a lucky hands on learning experience??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130215_211910.png
    ForumRunner_20130215_211910.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 181

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a $1.00 * today aswell, They are my favorite next to silver cert bills.

OP
OP
Shines

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Guess there more common then i thought,but i still find them interesting . Im gonna have some thing new to look out for..
Do you ever come across silver,red,blue certificts in circulation.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is a little old, but figured I'd add something to it.

Unless mint or a special serial number, star notes are nothing too great (unless of course, you like them- then that is all that matters).

One thing to look for in $1 notes are 'web notes'. I haven't looked for them in many years, but if I recall they were an experimental way of printing bills. I probably would find 1 web note for every 10+ star notes when I'd look. Some can be valuable/rare. Easy to spot once you see what to look for.

Here is more info and how to ID them :)

Web notes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago I'd heard of the star being referred to as a "mule star." Anyone else heard of this term? Interesting about the web notes--never heard of them before. Every now and then I have come across a silver certificate in circulation (haven't seen one in years now), I think I have a couple $1 certificates and a $5 certificate. Are they worth anything or just a novelty? Funny story, when I was in Russia in 92 - 93 everyone wanted US dollars, but no one really wanted the US dollar bills that were a bit worn, everyone wanted the newer bills with less wear. One guy had a $1 silver certificate that NO ONE would take (I guess because it looked so odd), so I traded him a newer $1 bill for it. He was very happy to get rid of that silver certificate--and I was happy to take it off his hands for a buck! :laughing7:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik,
A few years ago there was as discussion on the PCGS Forum that might interest you Re: Mule Star notes:
PCGS Currency Forums - Can anyone help me with Mule Notes
Don....

Thanks Don,

Interesting discussion....so a mule note and a star note are two different animals? I'm not really clear on what constitutes a mule note, though from the thread it seems to have something to do with large and small plate numbers. I'm not sure why the mules notes seem to have both size plate numbers (one on the front and one on the back). So I'm assuming you can have a mule note that is also a star note--is that correct? Did they star any of the web notes?

Thanks for any additional info!

OP
OP
Shines

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Its funny i learned about the star note found 2 within my fist week of knowing what they are and ever since havent found one since,,,guess theyre not as common as i thought but still out there

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Erik,
Mule notes occur on both Large- and small-size notes. On Large-size notes beginning in 1921 when Frank White took office, new back plates were also created for notes being printed, however, the location of the plate number was changed!
A small-size mule is a note that has a micro plate number on one side and a macro plate number on the other. Micro numbers measure 0.6mm and macros measure 1mm high.
During the transition to all macro plates, both micro and macro plates were in use. Usually these different plates were side-by-side on the same press. This occurred because the BEP had a standard economic policy of using up obsolete plates rather than scrapping them. Whenever micro faces are paired with macro backs, or macro faces are paired with micro backs, a mule is produced.
Don.......

OP
OP
Shines

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Today on my lunchbreak,I stoped by the store as the clerk was handing me back my 5 dollars change a red seal and numbers instantly caught my eye turned out to be series 1963 A $5 red seal united states note , my first red seal note yet.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is a little old, but figured I'd add something to it.

Unless mint or a special serial number, star notes are nothing too great (unless of course, you like them- then that is all that matters).

One thing to look for in $1 notes are 'web notes'. I haven't looked for them in many years, but if I recall they were an experimental way of printing bills. I probably would find 1 web note for every 10+ star notes when I'd look. Some can be valuable/rare. Easy to spot once you see what to look for.

Here is more info and how to ID them :)

Web notes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Justin is right unless it is got a special serial number than it is basically worthless (though a few bucks difference) if you find one that reads 01234569 or 01234445 77777112 something like that i guess you could say!

You can work in a bank all your life and may not even see but a handful or even 1 special serial number note

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to own a retail store. One day a customer handed me a one dollar bill that was signed by the Secretary of the Treasury just above the printed signature. As soon as I saw it I handed it back to him, showed him the signature, and said "I think you should keep this one." I have often wondered how much it may have been worth.
View attachment 788263

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread