$100,000 in clad at Woodstock fields?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Figure 400,000 people averaging dropping 25 cents each, all that mud, everyone reaching in and out of pockets for "cigarettes", laying on the ground, getting up and down...gotta figure that's a fair estimate, maybe $100,000 is conservative. Someone smart probably got permission in the early 70s. Wonder if it's been detected...

K

Kentucky Kache

Yeah, but you might go there and only do 1/4 that well...not worth it. ;D

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
You also have to figure out how many times the field has been plowed under since then. Not sure my back could handle digging out all those deeper finds.... :D

Rumor has it (because I just started it ;D) that several VW buses sank into the mud at Woodstock and are still there.... :wink: :D

K

Kentucky Kache

Zephyr said:
You also have to figure out how many times the field has been plowed under since then. Not sure my back could handle digging out all those deeper finds.... :D

Rumor has it (because I just started it ;D) that several VW buses sank into the mud at Woodstock and are still there.... :wink: :D

You might even dig up a hippie or two.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I think your estimate is way high. Over 400,000 people visit a given beach every year and they don't average 25 cents each in dropped coins. I would estimate that Woodstock contains at most $5000 in clad. Of course, there have probably been other events there over the years and you are also likely to find many other items worth way more than mere clad. Heck, finding a burried VW van would net more than $5000 for sentimental value alone! :)

But the amount of trash is probably so high that you'd walk away after just a few minutes.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kentucky Kache said:
Zephyr said:

You might even dig up a hippy or two.

Or Crosby's original liver !

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had replied in the original post and believe there is a good amount of clad and maybe some silver too. I believe the site was bulldozed which would have removed a good portion of the finds. As far as the actual amount of money, it may have been a good score. Keep in mind that many, not all that attended may have been under one influence, or another; making it real easy to lose a good deal. I hope I can swing up there next year and have a look see, last time I was there was in 1969 for 1/2 a day. If there is nothing there I am sure I can get permission to hunt the scout camp down the road a bit. When I worked there, I would have great eye finds every time a scout troop left. I looked forward to the days of moving the tent platforms and picking the stuff that feel through the cracks. :D

C

Cappy Z.

Rando said:
Everyone knows that hippies didn't have any money.
:laughing9:

If one found say a metal drug pipe and had the owner of the land sign some paper verifying the find on the Woodstock land..this 'provenance' would kick the 'value' up to hundreds of dollars on Ebay.

People with 'money' who lived back then and perhaps went to the rock concert..would pay dearly.

Cap Z.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Cappy Z. said:
Rando said:

If one found say a metal drug pipe and had the owner of the land sign some paper verifying the find on the Woodstock land..this 'provenance' would kick the 'value' up to hundreds of dollars on Ebay.

People with 'money' who lived back then and perhaps went to the rock concert..would pay dearly.

Cap Z.

"Far out man, now gimme back my hash pipe" :laughing9:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Cappy Z. said:
Rando said:

Cap Z.

Capp
If we find your pipe, we will certainly give you a call.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should hunt the new Bonaroo site in Tennessee. Big outdoor love fest I mean concert. :laughing7:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I doubt if there would be that much there. It's also possible that about ten percent of the change would be silver since a lot of people still had some silver in their pockets in the late sixties.

It would all be a relevant subject now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread