Colorado Outlaw treasure Pagosa Springs

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
This is a story I heard from a Army buddy of mine soooo mannnyyy years ago. He was from Colorado and used to work around a place called "Pagosa springs". He liked to tell about a group of outlaws called the "Espinosa brothers" who had supposedly buried a treasure in a cave or old mine in that area. He said he had looked for it while out deer hunting (deer hunting being my life long passion is how this story got started).

Just wondering if anyone ever heard about this or these outlaws.

Floodcitykid

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard of them until you mentioned them. After a quick google I do see they were a nasty lot and murderd 32 people in CO. They had a bounty of $2,500 on them as well.

After an act of perceived insubordination in 1863 Tappan was relegated by Chivington to the command of Fort Garland, a command in a remote part of southern Colorado near the traditional lands of the Utes and also containing a large Hispanic population. During his command of Fort Garland, he was assigned by Governor John Evans and Colonel Chivington to hunt down the Espinoza brothers, brigands and murderers who killed 32 Colorado citizens in cold blood and engaged in rape, robbery and other destructive acts. A $2500 reward had been offered by Governor Evans for the capture either dead or alive of the Espinozas. Employing the services of noted mountain man, Indian scout and tracker Tom Tobin, Tappan assigned a group of troopers to accompany Tobin and track down the Espinozas. On the fourth day, Tobin tracked down the Espinosas and killed the two brothers, bringing their severed heads back to Tappan as proof of his success. When Tappan forwarded the trophies to Denver, Chivington used the opportunity to lambast Tappan for such "unchristian" behavior despite the common use of the time of such methods. Tappan also paid Tobin from his own pocket when Governor Evans failed to pay the full reward he was owed. Years later as a matter of personal honor, Tappan sponsored an effort to make restitution to an aged and penniless Tobin

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
That's funny what Chivington said. I guess he was doing his Chrisian
duty when he ordered the massacre of women and children Indians at
Sand Creek.
I think the story you heard bears some serious research.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know how your research goes and good luck, you may be on to something. :icon_thumleft:

Misty_es

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2009
This is a story I heard from a Army buddy of mine soooo mannnyyy years ago. He was from Colorado and used to work around a place called "Pagosa springs". He liked to tell about a group of outlaws called the "Espinosa brothers" who had supposedly buried a treasure in a cave or old mine in that area. He said he had looked for it while out deer hunting (deer hunting being my life long passion is how this story got started).

Just wondering if anyone ever heard about this or these outlaws.

Floodcitykid

Hello Floodcitykid, I'm Espinosa from Pagosa Springs, Colorado... who was your Army buddy if you don't mind my asking? just curious which generation of brothers he spoke of... very cool to find this thread and soo funny to hear the Espinosa brothers called "outlaws" more or less just good ol' boys :wink:. Pagosa is full of legends of lost or buried treasures that our families have searched for over the years, the the "Bloody Espinosas" in the valley are not connected to our line here in Pagosa...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread