%100 tried and true cache finding method

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
First off,Ive read alot of posts on the forum being new to the site and i see alot of the same suject threads,The main one being how to locate lost caches.The fact of cache hunting is simply this,The process of elimination.But before i discuss my experience on this topic i need you all to check your moral compass when it comes to recovering lost treasures.Im not so much worried about the your legal compass because the United States Grubber-ment has a messed up outlo0k on the recovery of lost gold etc.But my process of locating lost treasures can do as much good as harm.Id hate to start a grave digging conspiracy on accident. The best way to locate lost caches is by going to your local public library and courthouse.At the library research civil war veterans,arrested moonshiners,gold mine owners,prospectors etc and ppl of that nature who would have recovered gold or confiscated valuables and cash pre great depression era,take those names with you to the court house and cross reference them with death certificates and the community census records for the towns population at that time.The death certificates will give you names of veterans long dead in your immediate area and By using the census records it will give you an idea of where the person lived and where there home would have been located giving you a place to start your search,You can apply this to veterans of both world wars as well because they could send back anything recovered during war time to there familys as "Spoils of War".The chances of world war 2 silver caches being hidden is very likely seeing as how most returning veterans had survived the great depression before the war and not trusting of banks upon there return home at that point in time.But also keep in mind that most home places for people prior to the great depression will be nothing more than old cellar holes in the ground and the chances of there body or the bodies of there family members being buried in the vicinity is a very great possibility considering it was common practice to bury family near the home in the late eighteen hundreds and early 1900`s. Ive used ths method since late 2007 and so far ive recovered 14 twenty dollar gold double eagles, a bunch of silver coins, a few late 1800 five dollar gold coins and alot of civil war relics,lead mini balls,belt buckles,two three pound silver plates. As well as some other very valuable things that id rather not post in a public forum as of yet. When doing your research and then recovery of items remember to be respectful of your research area,If you realize that you are digging what may possibly be an old grave do not remove anything and please mark the area to make the grave visible. There are many unkown graves along the appalachian trail and into eastern Virginia, part of artifact hunting is preservation for the future. Sometimes you may not recover gold or silver but you`ll make discoveries that have been forgotten by others for the last 150 yrs and it will give you something to share with your children and others in the future. I hope this helps some of you who have asked for advice on ways to research cache hunting sites. Also remember to use topographic maps of the areas you plan to research, get the oldest existing topo and the newest topo map of the area.The old one will show structures that used to exist when cross referenced with the new topo map they will no longer be shown. Death records,census records,and topographic maps are invaluable items when it comes to recovering lost caches.I hope this lil bit of information was helpful and remember the 4 S`s of finding lost treasure. Safety,Scoop,Sift,and Shutup.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ :angry4: Just joking :angel9: But in all seriousness, those are all excellent suggestions. I am guessing you have come across more than a few graves during your searches as well. With the abundance of genealogical information on the internet, some of these lost grave sites might be identifiable and recoverable for their descendants. Have you ever tried to find out the connections?

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
some of the graves we have found belonged to the prior owners who occupied the property,and some research areas that we have found grave sites on havent been identified because the death certificates show the late owners being buried in a cemetary,Could be children who passed from pneumonia or any other illness that was common through out the mid 1800`s,early 1900`s.Maybe even stillborn deaths.We have yet to completly unearth a grave
Anytime we realize there is a grave present we leave that immediate area alone and search the surrounding areas.I wouldnt want someone to dig up my great grandmother cause she was buried with a gold locket around her neck.

K

Kentucky Kache

Here's a little something extra, if you haven't already thought of it. When you check those census records, pay attention to the personal value column. Let's say that the last census before his death gives a man's personal value as $5000. Then you find that same man's death record and bill of sale after death, which records the value of his personal property. If his value at death is significantly less than it was in the last census, that tells you that the missing value could have been money. Now see if you can find that missing value/money in the records. Check the personal property values of all his descendants. Check to see if he left a will, etc. If you have researched this man thoroughly and can find no reason for this money to be missing, there is a real possibility that it was buried. This doesn't mean it's a sure thing, but it is a possibility. And we know such things did hppen a lot back then. Now, if you actually find a story of buried money associated with this man, you have good reason to believe it. You then have a cache lead worth the effort of exploring further.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
You know, Thats a very intelligent research method,especially when researching a rumored tale of buried loot handed down over the years. Many Thanks Kentucky Kache.

Safety,Scoop,Shift,Shutup. HH

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Grave is a Witness!
Where else would no one look.....under dear ole Dad's headstone.....

K

Kentucky Kache

goverton said:
The Grave is a Witness!
Where else would no one look.....under dear ole Dad's headstone.....

That's true. But I would want to be 100% certain before digging.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
If I found a grave before 1930, I'd leave. If I came in direct contact with soil from said grave, I'd get REAL clean REAL fast. A bath in Hibiclens soap would be in order, and might save your life.

Case in point. A Hudson's Bay Company physician removed the head of a famous Chinook chief near Astoria, Oregon around 1840. Wanted to study the skull of a primitive aboriginal (which had been flattened at birth). The disease the Chief (as well as thousands of his tribe) died of was still viable. Did you know some diseases remain viable for hundreds of years?

The physician contracted the disease in less than a week, and died in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii), lungs rupturing and coughing up blood.

This is historic fact. Consider it well if you find any human remains.

BTW Lucky13's research method obviously works. It is an interesting thing to compare Census value and value of estate, especially before 1930 as stated.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Handling dead bodies is not the problem. Be aware that long-dead remains can still make you very ill: could even kill.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
My point was, Is it worth it to you to disturb a grave for a dead mans pocket change? Please dont direspect any grave sights using this method.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Lucky13 said:
My point was, Is it worth it to you to disturb a grave for a dead mans pocket change? Please dont direspect any grave sights using this method.
Wouldn't consider it personally.

Not so sure of some of my relatives, though...

K

Kentucky Kache

Lucky13 said:
You know, Thats a very intelligent research method,especially when researching a rumored tale of buried loot handed down over the years. Many Thanks Kentucky Kache.

Yes, it's one way to check the validity of your story, but it's also a way you can do research to try and find a new lead. After finding the wealthiest residents, or those with any value for that matter, research them to see if there's any missing value. Even if there's not a buried treasure story associated with that person, there could still be a buried treasure. I'm guessing there were more people who buried their money, than there are tales of buried money.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Gotta agree with you again, Kentucky! Far more stories of caches have been obscured in history. Look at the major caches located in the Dead Sea Scrolls, just as an example. If those had not been written on a copper scroll, they would have been lost. As it was, the data was so important it was placed on the least-likely material to be destroyed, and as a direct result, lasted for thousands of years.

K

Kentucky Kache

Tuberale said:
Gotta agree with you again, Kentucky! Far more stories of caches have been obscured in history. Look at the major caches located in the Dead Sea Scrolls, just as an example. If those had not been written on a copper scroll, they would have been lost. As it was, the data was so important it was placed on the least-likely material to be destroyed, and as a direct result, lasted for thousands of years.

Absolutely. Oh how I'd love to go look for those Dead Sea Scrolls treasures. Those are the treasures, if I found, I would return to their rightful owners.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Kentucky Kache said:
Lucky13 said:

Yes, it's one way to check the validity of your story, but it's also a way you can do research to try and find a new lead. After finding the wealthiest residents, or those with any value for that matter, research them to see if there's any missing value. Even if there's not a buried treasure story associated with that person, there could still be a buried treasure. I'm guessing there were more people who buried their money, than there are tales of buried money.

Exactly!!!!

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
I know of numerous graves out in the woods. Maybe some of them once had wooden markers.
I know where some Spaniards might be buried, or maybe they were slaves.
One I found along an old wagon road has a marker stone and a rock in the ground next to it with the letters C W. Point is these graves are still undisturbed. I won't show any of these to just anyone.
We all use discretion. I would feel safe showing most of you because I can tell you are good people.
I was asked once to show a guy where some graves were on his property. He said he was going to plow up some land and didn't want to disturb the dead. I showed him and helped him drive tee posts to tie yellow ribbons on. Later he went back and painted the posts silver. Lots of arrowheads in the other end of the field near the creek, about 150 yards away from these little grave sized mounds. Rocks were laid in to prevent critters from digging the graves and over the years they have retained their shape. These generally rectangular mounds are only about one foot high. No other rocks around this edge of the field. Almost 100% sure they are graves. That was over 20 years ago.
I still haven't shown these to anyone else and I don't think the landowner has either. The posts are still there, but he hasn't plowed this field in a few years. He cuts hay every year and he bails this field in the spring and pastures it through winter. I found these graves when I was a kid in Boy Scouts and I think it was in 1973. One of the boys wanted to dig but we threatened to beat him silly and soap his food. Protecting a grave has a certain noble attribute, especially when the names have been lost to history. It at times is the only testimony remaining that someone once lived. I am proud to be on the same board with people who have similar ethics, proud, I tell you. Right on! -bill

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Lucky, I never tried your angle. I usually look for homes that are in an area where the rich have lived in the past. It use to be common practice for the rich in large cities to spend the hot summers in summer homes in the country. I get permission to search these yards on a 50/50 basis. I conserve items that can be displayed in the historical society and sell the valuable items. The owner usually doesn't care about the rusty iron so I usually get to conserve all that. I even get permission to search some historical sites. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread