11-01-08 North Oakland County digs

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Large Cent, looks super nice! Nice indian and SLQ. Way to go.

Good luck,
HH.

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Remarkable finds! That LC is awesome and the oldest on I have ever seen or heard of coming from michigan! The other two coins were great too, its very hard to get those SLQ's that don't have the date worn off.Keep diggin!

HH
Slipperyjack47

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Get used to others from other states not believing you dug some of the coppers that you dig up. Our soil here is great on coppers. Mainly at old home sites. Parks can give up some nasty ones but sometimes even those come out nice.

Congrats on a great hunt and some super fun finds.

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Slipperyjack47 said:
Remarkable finds! That LC is awesome and the oldest on I have ever seen or heard of coming from michigan! The other two coins were great too, its very hard to get those SLQ's that don't have the date worn off.Keep diggin!

HH
Slipperyjack47

Hey Jack, there have been quite a few found from 1800-1810. I found one toasted bust L.C. and one Turban Head L. C. They are out there. I bet you pull a early one from your area. Jim

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Dont know if its relative, but the site these came from has rich,dark soil...very easy to dig.
I find that in clay and sand copper doesnt fare so well.....found my share of toasted wheats and indians.
Here is my oldest copper from the same general area....same soil conditions as well.
literally no enviro-damage.....I can dig it!

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 212

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Great finds! Very old coin! Gotta love the briar patches - I've got the scratches on my arms from jumping in to! It seems like all the old coins are hiding in the pickers. Congrats!

Ian

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
I am wondering if that was a site we had been on ian? Jopher i am not trying to scam your site but were you out off of a corner that the roads start with mc and wild ? we had walked onto a site a few weeks ago that looked like someone had been working it and sprayed some kind of weed killer in the area also, it was full of poison ivy and pickers galore we pulled a few indian heads outa there and moved to an easier site. I guess im too lazy to go picker diving

danman

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Dan - I had forgotten about the weed killer thing - that was strange, it had to be either that or an alien ship landed on the foundation and burned all the weeds in a 10 foot radius :o

I can't get over that large cent - that thing is just awesome! It predates those sites by decades and predates Michigan as a state! The condition is tremendous. The indian heads we typically dig are in that good of shape as well, so the ground must be consistently good - black dirt. I can't imagine ever pulling somthing up older than that LC! My dream coin.

Ian

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
xdanthemanx said:
I am wondering if that was a site we had been on ian? Jopher i am not trying to scam your site but were you out off of a corner that the roads start with mc and wild ? we had walked onto a site a few weeks ago that looked like someone had been working it and sprayed some kind of weed killer in the area also, it was full of poison ivy and pickers galore we pulled a few indian heads outa there and moved to an easier site. I guess im too lazy to go picker diving

danman
Dan....not that site...Ian knows the spot. Its not pretty, but I did it.. and I got lucky.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Dan - It wasn't that spot - I think I know the one jopher is talking about and we haven't been there. If you could see the briar bushes there - they are vicious! Still, I'd take briars over poison ivy any day - and I'd take on either for a large cent.

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
SaginawIan said:
Dan - I had forgotten about the weed killer thing - that was strange, it had to be either that or an alien ship landed on the foundation and burned all the weeds in a 10 foot radius :o

I can't get over that large cent - that thing is just awesome! It predates those sites by decades and predates Michigan as a state! The condition is tremendous. The indian heads we typically dig are in that good of shape as well, so the ground must be consistently good - black dirt. I can't imagine ever pulling somthing up older than that LC! My dream coin.

Ian
Ian....If I were in some eastern state where big coppers might come a little easier, this may not have seemed such a big deal.But I gotta tell ya...I cant shake the good feeling of pulling that coin out of the ground...even more so than the colonial I found there a few years back...I even had to call my mom!
Now some guys might think I give out to much info ,but I really want people to have the best of luck.I try and hunt what I call the Dixie Cut.....A straight line from Detroit to the bottom of Saginaw Bay.It has been a" highway "since 1912...and before that ,a trailroad,and before that a footpath.From the 1600s on...any explorer,trapper,missionary,soldier, etc. going from Detroit to points north has traveled this route.It is my theory that some of the old homesites along this line may have evolved from campsites of previous travelers??Of course this doesnt mean that I will find anything indicative of these 17th and 18th century Michiganders....but it gives a guy somethin to hope for! The large cent could have been in circulation for some time before it found its home in Mi, but the colonial coin...I think could have been dropped a long long time ago.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Joe, I think that large cent probably sat buried since about 1820 - seriously that thing is in great shape and hasn't been in circulation much. If that's the case, then it probably was dropped before the house was built. I think you are right about the homesites that have even older history than the home itself. For instance, Dan and I hunted a site in the rochester hills area that we expected to be 1870 and up. Well, we both pocketed a few buttons each - and some of these flat buttons we were told could date to the late 1700's! That makes me believe that they were in the ground long before the home. Perhaps it was and old camp from trappers or loggers. Sometimes I think if one just walks through the woods - any woods, one could stumble upon a long lost camp. Being from Saginaw - where many rivers converge, we saw alot of indian activity hundreds of years ago. I have been researching indian trading posts and have a few ideas - pending permission to hunt them. My point is, these sites are now on homesites and on farm land. One may think they are hunting an 1850 farm house and expecting indian heads, and end up pulling a piece of trade silver or colonial copper. That's the beauty of this hobby - research helps - luck helps, and sooner or later you will find the goods!

Ian

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
the only reason i was wondering which site you were on is because we are pretty damn thourogh in our hunts , i just wanted to know if we missed it, no big deal, im sure we miss some things here and there but if you look at ians last post we take a lot of stuff and a TON of garbage too

we had an awesum quick hunt last night, some days you hit nothing interesting and the the next time your out you hit the good stuff.

show us the buttons ian..........

dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread